Members Motorcycles

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Members Motorcycles

Post by Kneeslider »

Bravo! A very nice job there.

Has it got an MOT yet? Were there any particularly difficult parts to get hold of? I hope that all the chrome plate is to a better standard than when they were new!

Been doing the final assembly of my old SS today, but was thwarted at the last when I was swapping over the oil lines from the old leaky oil cooler to a newer less leaky one, and the fitting sheared off the hose when I took it off the old oil cooler. Bah. Its' only been 12 months since it last ran before the enforced top end work.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Sailed through the MoT, chrome is show quality triple plated and bloody expensive!

Lovely little bike, so neatly designed and ver light.
Instant starter and sounds great.

Thinking of selling it to sponsor another bike adventure.. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

I'm in a bit of a bike-quandary at the moment - thinking about getting back into riding again, but really cant decide what direction to go in..
I have a couple of old bikes I inherited a few years back which are in storage and most likely won't get ridden (future living-room furniture/displays I reckon when we build a house big enough ;) ) and so am kind of on the fence between..

1) something like a BMW GS that amie and I could both get use out of, and would be useful for riding to work and some longer journeys and things

2) something a bit older to blast around on dry sunny days (most probably Italian), like an MV F4 (early one with the gold wheels, 4 under-seat exhausts and plain silver/red paint) Ducati 916 / 996 or even my childhood dream bike, an 851!

3) something new to try and do everything, like the new BMW R9T or the ducati scrambler

Some pics for inspiration - you can tell option #2 (and in particular the MV) is winning right?..

Goodwood
DDK addict

Post by Goodwood »

Hello Smallspeed, this is a question that i have faced several times and there is no right answer. I suspect you know in your head that the right bike (and i am assuming like me you will only have one bike) 95% of the time is the BMW GS/GS Adventure. You can commute on it, you can scratch around lanes on it (i reckon on bumpy B-roads there is nothing better) and you can cross countries on it with all your luggage in a day without any bother.
I run a GS Adventure, and apart from the odd gloriously sunny day in the Alps or somewhere in the UK which has a decent surface and no traffic (....Wales, Scotland?) i think its the right thing to have. And it does have character.

But of course...the Ducatis (what's the plural for Ducati; Ducaties, Ducatii ?) do look so nice, and that's where your heart takes you sometimes. I would love an 851, but probably just to look at. And as for the F4, please avoid. It looks nice but the one i made the mistake of buying was the slowest sports bike i ever owned, it sounded rubbish even with carbon pipes, the suspension was too soft and lots of the detailing was in plastic. I took it to the TT for a week and after getting blown into the weeds for 7 days i returned home and sold it for an SP1!

So. IMHO. Buy a 1200 air cooled GS Adventure!
Goodwood
DDK addict

Post by Goodwood »

Smallspeed, this was my F4 (note: its parked-up, best thing for it..)

And this was my 916, which was a pretty good bike, i toured Scotland on it and here it is in Belgium (the 916 was a little under-powered if you want to do lots of track days)

And i reckon you should try one of these for a day before parting with any money. Hope that helps!
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

smallspeed wrote:I'm in a bit of a bike-quandary at the moment - thinking about getting back into riding again, but really cant decide what direction to go in..
I have a couple of old bikes I inherited a few years back which are in storage and most likely won't get ridden (future living-room furniture/displays I reckon when we build a house big enough ;) ) and so am kind of on the fence between..

1) something like a BMW GS that amie and I could both get use out of, and would be useful for riding to work and some longer journeys and things

2) something a bit older to blast around on dry sunny days (most probably Italian), like an MV F4 (early one with the gold wheels, 4 under-seat exhausts and plain silver/red paint) Ducati 916 / 996 or even my childhood dream bike, an 851!

3) something new to try and do everything, like the new BMW R9T or the ducati scrambler

Some pics for inspiration - you can tell option #2 (and in particular the MV) is winning right?..

I guess those three will look good in the living room, or a short trip on a day when there's no rain forecast for 400 miles in any direction! I tried an 888 recently - I last rode one 25 years ago. Its true about not meeting your heroes; and in this case the 888's age showed.

Don't make the mistake of putting the R9T in the same class as some of the other 'retro' bikes like the T100/T120 Bonnies. The latter are a real taste of the golden age of British biking whereas the Nine has modern sports bike suspension, modern sports bike brakes and a grunty big-bore motor. It rides like a supermoto and it makes me feel like a Gixxer nutter again!

My pair.

>C
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

My beastie
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

HI - I've gone over to the dark side, and my original love of 2-strokes, raised on them from riding a Suzuki AP50 through GT125's X7's 350 Yams, still got my 350 YPVS and now this very rare Bimota V-Due. For those that know these bikes are hard to get right - this is one is different - wiring is a mess but I'm on it. Hope you like it.

Last edited by redrobin911 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Woo. Brave.

Direct injection two strokes are very, very sexy indeed. But only if they work properly...
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Members Motorcycles

Post by C3s »

Image Bought from the scrap man about 15 yrs ago and just started the resto
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Goodwood, shoestring7 - some really interesting insight there! Weirdly (for most people) my heart was actually saying get a BMW, simply because I've always been a bit of a BM nut with cars and I do feel like I'd get more general use from something like a GS.. I did look at their big touring bikes (k1200s or something maybe?) but I think that's prob too big and fat for me - I'm not exactly tall and I have short legs so prob not a great match!

The issue is the italian sports bikes are soooooo pretty, however I'm not a fast rider or anything so 99% of the reason for getting one would be to look at it and not because it would go quick! I borrowed a friends 1098 a couple of weekends ago and barely warmed it up :lol:

I think I'm going to continue borrowing/hiring a few bikes this year and then think about getting something of my own in the spring (prob when everyone else is doing the same!)

Will report back when I've made some progress!
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Members Motorcycles

Post by markm »

911hillclimber wrote:Very nearly finished this Honda restoration.

Facing the decision to ride it or sell it.

Ride it like you stole it

My current ride

72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Still a way to go! :lol:

From this...

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

1971 750 commando.Drunken Ebay moment about 3 years ago.Other bike is a Vincent Comet, in a wideline frame, currently being rebuilt.
Last edited by coomo on Wed May 25, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »