1973 911E RHD Light Ivory and ex NZ...another one.

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

aston
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 1973 911E RHD Light Ivory and ex NZ...another one.

Post by aston »

Here we go again.....

48. O/S rear inner wing repair (front)

With the repair panels for both sides made, the offside inner wing could have it's repair carried out at the front, the heater tube fitted, and the new inner sill put into place. Later on, any spot welds required for a factory look will be added during a great big spotathon towards the end the build.

49. A-post back date.

With the original donor A-post to hand the required areas could be moved across to the new A-post and a couple of smaller details attended to, making the 993 panel correct for my car.

50. Right hand dash end, A-pillar.

And back to Barry's favourite area again....

Time for him to continue with the dreaded dash area. He's now run out of good donor parts but does have a couple of reference pieces plus some patterns. The patterns are used to mark out the basic shape and a generous flange added on. With tons of shrinking, the flange could be pulled down and adjusted to give the correct angle without distorting the dash top. Then this flange is thrown and stretched to form the base of the channel. Lastly, the flange can be thrown again, and shrunk, forming the upright.

The card templates are taken from his reference piece of course, ensuring the shape runs neatly into the rest of the dash.

According to Barry actually not a hugely long job in the end, and a really nice way of making the part (all in one) compared to doing it in two as he has done in the past.

Last edited by aston on Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kieron.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48230
2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Glorious work as ever, so looking forward to seeing this car in the flesh 8)
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

51. Right hand side dash end and 'A' pillar... continued

These repairs are sitting on the rearmost skin of the A-pillar which is badly corroded and has been replaced as well, the same section forms up the new base of the gutter 'crimp'.
Barry is working back out of the layers now, so a new outer skin was made for the base of the A-pillar inside the car, a new inner dash-top fabricated and welded in, and the screen corner cut in two, manipulated and welded in. Oh yes, and a new sunroof drain was made and let in, and whilst the area was open he took the liberty of giving me a couple of wires up into the roof area for later use.

I think Barry breathed a sigh of relief at the end of this marathon! Fortunately the other side looks a bit better, although has it's own issues to sort out.... more of that later.

52. NSF Inner wing flange etc..

The inner wing flange had suffered all sorts of repairs most of which didn't photograph that well due to the primer. In the end Barry thought it would be quickest, easiest and most effective just to replace the lot.

The odd black 'stick' is his inner wing gauge. It gives him the upper curve of the panel, plus the locations of the holes and he's got a little tool that locates this gauge accurately for spotting in the guide holes for the 11mm QMax punch for forming the wing bolt holes.

A little while earlier he had finished off the welding to the front end, fitted the battery box, new inner wing front and the bumper reinforcement.

53. Base front inner wing repair - 'A' post back date.

As can be seen the base of the front inner wing under the A-post was pretty iffy - the previous restorer had described the whole car as 'almost ready for paint'. It looks as though two different repairs had been made over the years.

As ever, Barry's repair was made from 18SWG, so plenty thick enough. Once that was in the whole area could be re-cleaned and primed, as was the new inner sill.

Last edited by aston on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
Bigfoot
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bigfoot »

Kieron, the photos on here are just unreal, the amount of work and detail that goes into Barrys work is simply staggering!! :salute: Makes me extremely excited and reassured I made the right choice and waited :) :)
The shell is looking phenominal!!
Adam

1973 911 2.4E
1974 911 2.7 Ratrod
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Hi Adam - yes I'm always amazed at his skills when I compare the before's and after's ...

I'll be out of your way very soon... you won't be disappointed.
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

So good you take the trouble to show all this craftsmanship to us.
Stunning work, just make the DIY'ers amongst us weep! :cyclopsani:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

So after many hours of really hard graft by Barry we move into the final stage of the shell restoration... (about bloody time hey Adam?)

54. Rear inner wing front repair (N/S).

Same pattern as the other side although this side didn't require as much metal to be cut away. The main problem in fact, was the state of the inner to outer wing flange which had taken a real battering.

Come outer wing time the addition of these new flanges really helps to make a nice job of the spot-welds, plus we get to claw back a small percentage of the time.

The lists are beginning, always a sign that things are marching on!

55. Sealant everywhere! Rear Quarter Flange

Barry got a real shock when he spotted all of this sealant. It was tough stuff as well, Sikaflex style rather than a bathroom sealant.

It took quite a while to remove with a pointy wire brush in the drill, upside down in the footwell being showered with the stuff. As you can imagine he was expecting to find something really nasty underneath, but it was perfect. Obviously there must have been a leak there at some point caused by something else that was being tackled.

56. Sill backdate / Dash Holes

Self explanatory - more tidying up by Barry in these areas..so both sills are done and the dash is all nice, straight and correct.

Image]

57. NS screen corner - front

Images of pre-repair. As can be seen, the previous repairer didn't join in the main structure to the part of the pillar that ultimately links in to the inner wing. There was still some structure left, but definitely compromised.

As can be see this was in a bit of state once opened right up. Given it didn't look that bad on the outside this was all rather unwelcome at this stage. One odd thing was the hole in the rear of the A-pillar. Not sure why it had been drilled, but we guess something to do with the sunroof wiring as it had been joined at this point. Either that or they drilled the hole for some other reason, caught the sunroof loom and had to re-join it.

Anyway, Barry removed the outer skin of the pillar, the sunroof drain tube and the wiring. He then repaired the hole to the reverse side, ditto the next skin in. After that the loom was repaired by soldering and using heat-shrink tube two deep. Then a new sunroof drain was fabricated and fitted and the whole area built back up.

As for the rest a new base was fabricated for the pillar, as well as a new dash end and front. Finally the new outer skin was welded on (not shown here).

58. Scuttle end, NS

Barry calls this type of repair a 'time bandit', many of which have come thick and fast over the last month. The screen corner from Dansk is a very approximate affair and to get it to fit with any finesse requires major re-working. Even just using this little section means a redesign. By flattening out the gutter area, metal can be moved up into the area needing it and then the gutter re-formed later.

As you can see it ends up quite a nice little repair, but takes much longer than it would with an accurate panel.

59. Random repairs

The slightly thinned and holed nearside rear seat base was replaced with one fabricated by Barry. As a new one is somewhere around £280, fifty percent of which would be thrown away, he thought a fabrication would be best. Being ultra critical it's not quite as crisp as a bought-in one would be, but once stonechipped etc it will look quite smart enough.

The heater flap box studs have been repaired on both sides.

All of the waxing holes have been drilled and photographed ready for Barry's revised waxing guide which is coming soon!

The more general shot is an entirely gratuitous picture of the interior with it's various areas of shiny new metal.

Also, the new anti-roll bar mount has been fitted, and the fuel pump bracket welded back into place.

Both torque tube ends have been built up and smoothed ready for Elephant Racing bushes if I go that way, and any stress cracks near the torque tube cover 'nuts' have been ground out and re-welded.

The roof has had the dents removed.

Finally, the cosmetic single side welds have been completed across the whole underside.

60. Nearside Rear Screen Corner

Only point of note is that like the front corners you can buy this section. There are two problems though... one is unusually for a repair panel, it's too small so usually doesn't cover enough area, and the other is, of course, that it doesn't fit.

Anyway, they are quite easy to make and Barry can get them pretty accurate using his template. Having said that on the offside he had to put about 2mm of lead on the inner edge to get it to fit the jig perfectly. Nevertheless, they both went quite well and the final images are, as usual, in bare metal.

61. Rear slam panel repair

According to Barry this is a horrible area to repair and he is contemplating some tooling to help in future. He'd be tempted simply to replace with new, but often it's just these areas that go on an otherwise good panel. The replacement comes with the whole inner structure plus engine mounts, and requires quite a bit of back-dating as well. A £320'ish panel and then 5-6 hours to backdate and fit, so definately worth investigating in some tooling.
So we finished up with a good repair which will be well hidden under other panels and is at least strong, as in 18SWG rather than the 20 (if that) of the original.

Last edited by aston on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

62. Front O/S wing and headlight bowl...Oh dear Herr Porsche...

I bought a new o/s front wing from Porsche. The following three images show how poor the fit of the bowl was straight from the factory and this isn't the first time Barry has experienced this. It looks like the bowl was rammed into the wing aperture and spot welded, with no consideration given for the seal gap (I think Jamie had some issues in this area). Barry had to drill out the spot welds, pull out the bowl and re-weld. He could have just left it of course and not mentioned it....

63. O/S door.

This had had some nasty door mirror access holes butchered into it which Barry filled and then re-drilled to the correct diameter and position (in fact the factory pre-stamp a divot hole to centre the drill). He also filled in the G-series onwards wiring holes to the front of the frame and removed the side-impact beam. Apparently my car had gained a Targa door so removing the reinforcing bar makes it correct for a Coupe. The door now feels much, much lighter and matches it's genuine older sister.

64. N/S door

Gosh, where to start. This turned into a major job! With the skin off the extent of the damage to the rear of the door became clear. It's quite usual to see problems in the double skinned area near the lock, but mine was particularly nasty.

For the first time Barry elected to drill out the thirty or so plug welds and separate the two components. This meant he could fabricate both a new top section for the main door frame, and a smaller repair piece for the reinforcement. As the lock and door window-frame both locate into this area, and the top of the door frame dictates the height, shape and position of the door skin there is a lot to double check.

With these repairs done the side of the car was trial fitted up just to make sure these elements would all work together. With this done he could then turn his attention to the flange at the base which had been repaired before at the front, and was holed towards the rear. In the end he re-worked the old repair, as it was solid, made a new front lower corner (not shown), and a new rear base flange. The whole was then trialled on the car again and everything carefully trued up to match the car.

The problem with door frame issues is that if you don't get them 100% resolved around the perimeter, when a (very thin) door skin goes on it'll distort and pull the skin out of shape. In turn this pulls ripples into the edge of the skin which can run deeply into the panel. Very tricky to rectify and these latest 911 style door skins (rather than the 964 ones that Barry had been using) seem to be a little thinner than before and mark incredibly easily if not treated very carefully.

Anyway, final pics show skin on (phew!). Other side looks the same.

65. Sills procedure

Kidney bowls welded on, and then single-sided welded in addition to plug welds where they might be seen. Additional seam weld at top of KB to ensure that water doesn't find it's way into the sill later on. Outer sills plug welded, plus spot welded all round.

66. Lead loading..

Screen corner and slam panel lead loaded.

So I'm really, really pleased with the finished result, who couldn't be impressed. Was it 400hrs ? ...I think it was quite a bit more than that but as Barry had originally said no more than 400 he was as good as his word.

And to repeat my Health Warning... if you're ever contemplating a restoration project and the seller shows you pictures of a car on a jig and describes it as 'almost ready for paint' refer back to this thread before proceeding.

So on Monday the 'painter' and I went to collect the shell...

and first up was to transfer it from the jig to the dolly.. an operation Barry has simplified so he can easily do it single handedly...

Next was to get it ready for loading on the trailer...

Last edited by aston on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

aston wrote:... so that must mean Darren has agreed to paint my car......

I don't think it could be in safer hands....
Thanks Kieron but remember I'm just the delivery driver!

And I don't think it's a question of 'agreeing' to anything, more a case of being honoured to be involved with the project. Thank you.

Seeing Barry's work up close I'm always in awe with the quality of what he does. Your shell is absolutely gorgeous and as good as they come! 8)

So on to paint indeed......we've been practising on a few and about time we painted a Light Ivory shell properly!

Can't wait! :)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Wow!
What a string of photographs.
:drunken:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Uk911
DDK forever

Post by Uk911 »

Just fantastic.....the mans a metal genius....well done Barry that looks amazing......Mark.
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Top class, makes me even more excited to see progress on mine.
DDK#694
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Happy Birthday Kieron :occasion4: :occasion5:

Glad to see your present got finished in time.......lets hope the car is sitting on rubber the next time your birthday comes around :)

Hope you've had a great day.

Cheers,
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Wow just spent an hour or so reading your thread Kieron, the detail of your thread and pictures provided really shows the level of craftsmanship and detail that goes into a correctly restored shell. Another signature shell from Barry, looks fantastic.

Mark
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Thanks Darren - spent the day in the garage fiddling with door internals...bliss.

Hi Mark - glad you're enjoying the thread, I'm really pleased with the way the shell has turned out ... there's definitely no-where to hide in a set of images like that.
Kieron.

2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).