guess i will be building my speedster to IVA

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

presland123
DDK Seasoned Poster

guess i will be building my speedster to IVA

Post by presland123 »

hoping to crack on with my speedster build (see other thread) now that I have settled into my new house. brought all the parts and now its just cracking on!

Its a speedster clinic version and whilst I was hoping to avoid the IVA (as I personally don't like the changes you have to make to comply) I don't think there is any option, and I will also lose tax free status (but hopefully get an age related plate to avoid a Q plate).

If anyone has any recent experience of building a speedster to IVA spec or where I can find some clear material to read up on it would be really appreciated. All the official guides are pretty heavy going.

Cheers

David
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: guess i will be building my speedster to IVA

Post by mdmax72 »

Another Build, just what the doctor ordered, looking forward to it.

Iva, its not that bad to be honest, if l can help l will, just ask.

Are you painting it before Iva or after??
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
presland123
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by presland123 »

hi, was going to build it just to get MOT'd and IVA'd and then sort the paint and interior. That way I thought I could undo some of the requirements that I don't like.

Think I will have to find a guide online with the detailed requirements and I am sure will have to undo some of the work already done (ie light and seat belts positions and so on). Also heard things like I will need an original beetle steering wheel and get rid of my wooden wheel for the IVA. Its these kind of hints and tips that will be invaluable.
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

First off, you wont need to Mot, the Iva & Mot is all rolled into. Once passed the Iva, it'll be classed as a new car and will not require an mot for 3 years...

The only thing on the outside of the body you'll need to undo is the door mirror's, a small hole for the side indicators on the front wing (you could utilise one of the side spear holes, just don't fit the side spears for the Iva), reverse light and rear fog light need mounting on top of the bumper to meet the height criteria. That's if you going to undo to put reproduction or original door mirrors etc.

You will need a Vw rubber type steering wheel for Iva purposes. It takes 5 mins to change, so no biggy.

Post some pic's were your at with the build.

Have you read the IVA thread on here, it will get you going in the right direction.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

presland123
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by presland123 »

cheers Rich, put some pics below from before the move (not really changed since).

Its pretty much just a rolling shell at the moment, so no mirrors etc fitted. Was part way through the electrics before the house move. Off to standford hall in a couple of weeks in my split bus, so may be getting a few parts.

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking at those pic's Seats are good for Iva, as your using a shine up light, you can use the reverse light built into it. You need some rubber trim around the rear reflectors, loose the bonnet handle, fit some 356 external door handles and you need to reverse the wiper motor as the arms are going the wrong way for Iva. Get some LED self adhesive side indicators. You need a collapsible door mirror at least on drivers side, passenger side is optional as you have a centre mount mirror.

Read the IVA Thread...
Rich

DDK Member 0547

presland123
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by presland123 »

cheers Rich useful info
ger
DDK addict

Post by ger »

external fuel filler ??
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

ger wrote:external fuel filler ??
Yes, an IVA requirement as I understand it, as is brake fluid level warning / tester. I'm sure its all there on the IVA thread...

I'd imagine a through bonnet filler is probably ok as long as you don't fall foul on projections with the cap or the filler neck size for misfueling prevention?
presland123
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by presland123 »

thanks all, at least I can start to build as IVA before I get too far. For once, building a car that my wife actually wants (she still hasn't driven my splitty)
Frankster
DDK Newbie

Post by Frankster »

Hi buddy. I went through iva in June so if you need someone to talk to about it, I'm happy to meet up. I live in Milton Keynes.