Oil filter can gasket

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Oil filter can gasket

Post by pauldvern »

I changed my oil and filter last week during my post winter wake up of my car. Unfortunately the gasket supplied with the filter decided to leak dramatically on the way back from the Volksworld show on Saturday leaving the engine in a mess and me having to pollute the lovely fresh valvoline with halfords 20/50.

Anybody know of a source of reliable gaskets?

Cheers

Paul.
1959 RHD 356A coupe
1956 RHD VW split bus
1969 911T project
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Oil filter can gasket

Post by roy mawbey »

Paul,

Never had a problem with the gaskets. The Mann or Fram? ones I have used over the years I either bought from AFN or from Stoddard and I seem to remember also from KK or R Bray.

I have been very careful getting the top on properly to make sure the gasket wasn't kinked. I think that must have been most annoying for you, I bet the oil went everywhere.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
40 scout
DDK rules my life!

Post by 40 scout »

Me to Roy, never had a problem with the gaskets supplied with the filter, probably a one off, invest in half a dozen cans of brake cleaner, it'll all look brand new in no time :wink:

Steve
'72 911T - 212 BHP 2.7, on PMO's
'62 RHD T6 B outlaw
'71 Alfa GT Veloce 2000

1929 Indian 101 'bobber' project.
'40 Indian Sport Scout bobber
VW T5
!920's Racing Cycle
1920's Premier cycle
A few vintage Heuers

Member No 381
pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pauldvern »

Thanks guys,

I have never had this happen before, I tend to change the oil every year. One thought did cross my mind after I posted last night - did I lose a washer from between the cap and the securing bolt? Must check that. I still need to source another gasket.

Paul
1959 RHD 356A coupe
1956 RHD VW split bus
1969 911T project
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Paul,

My oil filter can had a black rubber gasket in the lid. I was advised to re-use this rather than the thinner gasket that comes with the oil filter. You may be able to buy the rubber gasket from the usual vendors.

When I got my car there wasn't a washer between the cap and bolt but I now use a fibre washer.

Hugo
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I had some oil leaking when I didn't put the washer back on correctly but that was just a couple of drips. I've used the gaskets that came from PRS / RB and they seem to be ok.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
TLC356
DDK Fanatic

Post by TLC356 »

I have experienced a problem over the years with various size gaskets. Al Zim (Texas) had some information on this and as I remember, he offers a size that fits my filter (probably the most common one, and if I got that wrong Al, sorry).

I suggest you so some research. This problem has been discussed, and my personal experience was that once I found the correct one, I kept buying it.
Good luck, Tom
356 Registry member #15,
'65 C Cab., '55 Pre-A coupe