What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep.
This car does not like the curbs, 3 seconds later there is a sunken man-hole cover to 'miss' on the right.
I hit that too!
After 31 years of this game I should/do know better, but I have a very close competitor this year, so too much 'attack'.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

neilbardsley wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm
Nine One One wrote:If it looks like this at the back then its a sealed beam, and it is a complete unit, you can not change the bulb, just the whole unit with the electrodes ‘sealed’ in.

You can get other 7” units to take normal or LED bulbs, and adopt the wiring, but think as you are going away soon, you will get yourself into a can of worms.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-356- ... -srch.html
I think I've changed the bulb before but that is a very good point. I will check Thank you. What do you do if your headlights go on a trip. Bit of a pain to carry a new headlight

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
What you probably changed in the past was your side light? Just take a spare set of bulbs and plead ignorance if stopped in one of your headlights fail. Short of doing a lot of night time driving you will be fine.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

neilbardsley wrote:
Nine One One wrote:If it looks like this at the back then its a sealed beam, and it is a complete unit, you can not change the bulb, just the whole unit with the electrodes ‘sealed’ in.

You can get other 7” units to take normal or LED bulbs, and adopt the wiring, but think as you are going away soon, you will get yourself into a can of worms.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-356- ... -srch.html
I think I've changed the bulb before but that is a very good point. I will check Thank you. What do you do if your headlights go on a trip. Bit of a pain to carry a new headlight

Definitely a sealed unit headlight. Can they be unsealed if a headlight needs changing?Image

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

No.

If you're worried about a headlight failing on your trip just buy/carry a spare sealed beam unit (lots of cheap options available).

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

It is why they are called ‘sealed beam’ the unit is SEALED
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you Andy

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Getting two new front tyres. Trac 2. According to the manufacturer far superior to their classic offering. Car started great. I park at the place. The mechanic gets in the 356 and it refuses to start. I try and it's still not starting. No solenoid click. I say that has to be the starter fuse. I actually have 2. One to by pass the ignition switch and another at the starter. We push it up on the ramp. I click both fuses. They are fine. I try again and it starts! If I believed in magic I would say my car decided that a stranger wasn't allowed to drive it.

However, I'm going to remove the fuse near the ignition switch. Seems like I've added another point of possible failure Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Found the issue loose wire from the relay to the solenoid.

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Good news
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

Off to The Classic Motor Hub for Porsche gathering, mostly Macans, a few impact bumper 911s, an outlaw 356A and my C.

About 20 miles in either direction on lovely empty country lanes going and dodging stop start SUVs and large Audis coming back. The Stroud Ciren A419 having been closed.

I really enjoy driving the 356, it’s an excellent car by any standards and pretty lively with a near 100bhp engine.
KS

Post by KS »

Sent ECU back to DTA to be tested. Something definitely not right somewhere as car refuses to start at least 50 per cent of the time, and ECU won’t connect with laptop so we can gather info.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

PCGB R31 gathering of rareish Porsches at Autofarm. Some genuinely thin on the ground eg RUF 964, Carrera GT ( definately rare), 997 GT3 RS, 930 Turbo, a brace of 911 2.4S ( 1972), my lowly 911 2.2S, 928, 968, Boxster Spider, and sundry other stuff which does not do much for me. A total of 30 cars. After nibbles and beverages a circuitous route through some excellent roads to The Classic Motor Hub where we were joined by (the hoipoloi) 50 other R31 cars. The sun shone except for around 20 minutes of light rain. All in all a really good day out
Rust Never Sleeps
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Bought another water pumper. :) Anyone want to buy a Black one.
Image1a9c7e92-31a2-4e5a-98ca-c30056aea5b9-IMG_2454 by stretch1985, on Flickr
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Two 996s ! You must have it bad .....
BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by BILLY BEAN »

stretch wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:40 pm Bought another water pumper. :) Anyone want to buy a Black one.
Image1a9c7e92-31a2-4e5a-98ca-c30056aea5b9-IMG_2454 by stretch1985, on Flickr
Lovely Dave.
Rust Never Sleeps