What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by neilbardsley »

Took the 914 out for a drive. After my 1-1 driving training Mrs B has to ask me to slow down. The steering wheel still wasn't on straight so I corrected. This time I had a battery impact tool. The main one I have has given up the ghost. I need to organise a road trip soonImage

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I did a 400 mile trouble free trip in the 964 to go to a gig but was disappointed to find that the engine to oil tank hoses have not fixed the oil leak - bugger. It is still all accumulating on the left side of the engine where there are literally no places it can leak from. The fan housing is like an oil bath- it’s very odd. Hey ho
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

rhd racer wrote:I did a 400 mile trouble free trip in the 964 to go to a gig but was disappointed to find that the engine to oil tank hoses have not fixed the oil leak - bugger. It is still all accumulating on the left side of the engine where there are literally no places it can leak from. The fan housing is like an oil bath- it’s very odd. Hey ho
Every strange

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Went for a (very short!) drive to a local cars and coffee on Sunday, then back out again late afternoon for a proper drive. Those first warm rays of spring and an empty road really help the mind :)

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

For the first time this year, drove the 911 to a local National Trust for some nature in the 911 in the sun. Got home also in the sun and the car still clean! A first.

Then into the murky depths of trailer brake overhaul for the start of the hillclimb season in 2 weeks in the Lola.
3 of the 4 brakes had the drum brake lining detached off the shoes!

Never had that before on anything.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

rhd racer wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:52 pm I did a 400 mile trouble free trip in the 964 to go to a gig but was disappointed to find that the engine to oil tank hoses have not fixed the oil leak - bugger. It is still all accumulating on the left side of the engine where there are literally no places it can leak from. The fan housing is like an oil bath- it’s very odd. Hey ho
Youve checked your intake throttle housing tubes arent full of oil ?

i'm also currently chasing an oil leak that seems to have started whilst the car has been laid up over winter , although I think mine is timing chain housing :cry:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

911hillclimber wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:55 am :wink: Then into the murky depths of trailer brake overhaul for the start of the hillclimb season in 2 weeks in the Lola.
3 of the 4 brakes had the drum brake lining detached off the shoes!

Never had that before on anything.
It certainly never happened when we used to rivet the linings on ourselves!
I’ve had one lining come off the trailer before, but never that many!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I have only had one lining come away before. This year I got it properly serviced by a Brian James agent after 10 years of DIY and they couldn’t believe it had done 30-40k miles

Thanks for your response James - sent you a PM

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Chris P
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Chris P »

Just a thought on the oil leak, I had a similar problem on my old SC some years ago which became quite a problem to solve, eventually I traced it down to radial cracks on the inside of the left hand timing chain cover which didn't open up until the engine got up to working temp, on the outside there is a blind threaded hole roughly central on the cover which on my SC didn't do anything, eventually I removed the cover out of frustration at not being able to find the leak and on very close inspection saw the cracks radiating out from around the hole, it was hard to pin down as once the oil was up to temp and the air swirling around inside the engine bay spread hot oil all over.
KS

Post by KS »

Don't talk to me about oil leaks... Underside of the 914 looks like the aftermath from the Torrey Canyon disaster (for younger members - oil tanker that ran aground in 1967...). Airflow under the car has spread oil everywhere, from front of engine to rear of gearbox. After cleaning it up as best I can using Autoglym's water-based degreaser (which actually works well despite the absurd idea of a water-based product dissolving oil and grease...), it appears to be emanating from around the sandwich plate used when I installed the Accusump. So today's task is draining the oil, removing the oil filter, and removing, cleaning and tightening the sandwich plate, using new Dowty seals for the fittings... Oh joy. I'm sure the tourists moving into the holiday lets next door will enjoy the swearing.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Thanks for your thoughts Chris. I have isolated the problem, but not the cause. It is oil in the inlet, so no issue with the engine per se, rather something bolted to it. I have done some reading up and ran it up to temp last night and can eliminate the following;
- Rings - engine rebuilt 2k ago with new rings
- Vent hoses - all new from engine to inlet to tank and back
- Thermostat - working, ran to temp last night and can feel the oil line against the front offside headlight en route to the cooler

They are sensitive to over-fill and some say to run them at the bottom of the dipstick - I have not done this, and since getting back to an oil bath on Sunday actually put more in (still just below the max). I think my next step is to give it an oil change and filter, then fill to just over the min on the dipstick when up to temp and see how I get on. I am not really sure what else it can be. It’s certainly nothing serious, but to Keith’s point it is one heck of a mess and then blown by the fan up, down and around before it falls out the bottom!
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

Sam

Post by Sam »

If it’s in the inlet shouldn’t it be blowing out through the engine and exhaust rather than the fan?

Whatever it is, I reckon you’re right. Carefully change the oil and give it a proper blast to burn everything off (and upset the environmentalists) then see where you stand.

Just a thought, rather than a certain suggestion of cause, but the little pressure relief valve on top of the oil tank can stick and over pressure everything.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Cheers Sam

From all the reading up I have been doing, cars with this affliction run clean and smoke free like mine, but throw oil around the engine bay like it’s 1999….

Thanks for the idea - I will look into. I have replaced everything else, so anything that could cause it that hasn’t been touched is a welcome addition!
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

Sam

Post by Sam »

You may not thank me when you work out where it is and the effort involved to get to it…
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

I actually can’t find anything about it - I can see there are two in the case (clearly not relevant) but not the tank, not even on exploded diagrams. Any clue or a part number to get me going?

I do have a new rear quarter panel in stock so if it is that, and all else fails, then the oil tank will be coming out to fit that anyway….
93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone