What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by g3ngs2 »

g3ngs2 wrote:Very, very nice.
At the (very) other end of the spectrum, I put this sticker from a recent trip to LA on the rear window

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Damn you Tapatalk...Image

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Billy, my Lola's trick gearbox modified, plus lots of advice about my 3.2 mods.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
anka
DDK Fanatic

What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by anka »

Wrong posted from me.
Carrera 3.0
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Re: 987.2, driver's window mechanism failed Wednesday, December 21, 2022 5:03 PM (permalink)
The dat arrived, I was going to replace this window regulator myself, Brave? Foolish more like.
I hate modern cars when they go wrong, evey thing is plactic, clips, awkward and complicated, just hate them

In hindsight, should have simply taken the car to Zuffenhaus and paid £327 and droive home.
But I didn't and here are the lows (lots of them) and highs (one) of my 5 hours in the cleared garage, and the job is not yet finished.

Got the 1073 911 going and out of the garage, started first time, all gears ok etc, just as it has always been.
Rolled the Lola race car out and went to the Boxster so i could drive it into the empty space.
No.
Car was totally dead, key did nothing and I could not wake it up. Charged the battery for 6 hours 6 days ago, so that should be ok.
After a LOT of messing about managed to get both front inner arch covers off the car. Removed the drivers side and no hood release wire. Stripped the passenger side, and found this wire with no ball on the end (has someone been here before?)
Mole grips on the end of the wire, suitable swear words fully employed and the wire eventually moved a touch and with another word it pulled and the front bonnet opened.

JUST WHO thought this was a good idea at Porsche? The apprentice? Utter rubbish.
The action pulls the front carpet off the inside of the boot sides and all that, what a mess.
Put the battery on charge, but it took only 3 amps, not what I was expecting.
Disconnected the battery (to kill the air bag) and the alarm went off.... Found the alarm with the help of the entire cul-de-sac who were 'alarmed' and it carried on going. The internal battery failed after 10 'alarms' , I disconnected it to kill the din.
Reconnected the battery (for some reason) and the central locking worked! (WHY?). Still this meant I could start the car and get it into the garage. It started really well.

With the driver's door open now, the door car was removed (Google Instructors were my best friend).
Removed the screws holding the window motor and the broken mangled regulator drive wire was evident. At least I had the right replacement part.

With 60 mins now elapsed, the air bag was disconnected, the million wires in 3 clusters to the motor removed (modern electrical connectors are nice), unclipped the door latch release cable (so simple!) and removed the inner cover panel away from the door, but not right off as access to the regulator is HUGE.
I was hoping I would remember all these connections!

Removed the old regulator in 3 parts, it is a one piece assembly normally and put it to one side.

Adjusted the new unit to emulate the glass positions of the original (did not work out too well), removed the glass having marked the registration of the glass to the clamps front and rear, cleaned it all, and put the new regulator in the door.
After some frustrating time got the housing that mates to the motor onto the inner panel and screwed it all back tight, wires replaced correctly, and reconnected the air bag.

Loosed the door card in place and wires re-done and NOTHING worked. I hadn't pushed the one motor connector fully home, needed 1mm more.
Tested again, windows go up and down both sides, but the glass is not quite square to the soft top, the rear edge is only just touching the soft top, but both windows drop on opening etc. The drivers glass does not go from open to closed in one shot, so i think the memory needs setting now.

Put the rest of the door back together and tested 3 times, all ok bar the position memories.

Having had enough of this I bravely closed the front bonnet, and it opened normally on the key, the boot too, and all the locks are ok.

Drove the thing out of the garage and noted the PSM light is on the dash ! "PSM failed" I hope there is a diy re-set for this?

Tomorrow morning is a re-fitting of the wheel arched with front wheels removed, set the window memories, BUT only once the glass is right. I notice there are 4 large grommets on the door underside. 2 are to secure the bottom of the window runner guides and there are 2 more close to them.

I'm hoping that with the window down, you get access to the glass position adjusters so to fine tune the glass fit to the soft top seals. Time will tell.

In all this it is best to keep in mind that the factory would do all this very quickly so there is always a simple solution, they just keep it all a secret.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

You know the boxster goes to sleep and you need to turn the key in the lock then remove and use the remote to wake it up / open ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Sounds like the car had dropped into it's sleep mode, my 997 would often do this.
Good news is that the PSM failure warning is because the battery was removed, should self clear within the first 100m of driving the car.
Hope you get the glass adjustment spot on - should be quite simple in the end.
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Yep, familiar with the car going to sleep, mine is asleep in 7 days on the drive.
This time was different.
Thinking it was asleep, put the key in the handle turn etc but nothing, almost as if the key was in fresh air.
All works now off the key fob, but try to test it manually tomorrow.

Have a MPs reset procedure from a PCGB member, and know how to fine adjust the glass position to the top seals.

Should be ship shape by tomorrow lunch.

What a game.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Little job for me … replaced the broken spring on the mfi crossbar … with the stupid adjustable end plate needing to be set in the right position again

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Finished the pesky Boxster off this morning. Adjusted the tilt of the glass to fit the top better (not as good as factory) and put all the plastic back on, then some more and then the last bit...
Reset the PMS and that light has now gone off the dash, got the window registered and it now has single shot in both directions.
Great?
No, there is something catching when winding down.
So annoying, but will be ok till I've had a rest, then strip the door again. At lest I shouldn't have to faff about with the flat batter thing, but the battery was not flat, just the locking did not work....

All central locking now works, so car back to normal.
Gave it a wash and forgave it for this hiccup.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Every 996 owner will know that draining batteries is the 996's Achilles heel. Due to various commitments this winter, I committed to let the battery drain knowing I would have to pull out the little post in the fuse box and put 12v across it and the door staple, to open the bonnet.

Upon doing this a couple of days ago, I learnt a charger, or at least my charger, is no good for this job. It has to be a battery as the post doesn't like the ac charger signal.

I then proceeded to overcharge the battery with the result that the alarm started going off. It couldn't do this during daylight hours though, it had to wait until midnight. I unlocked the car and left it, but by 2am I found myself outside in my pyjamas in the rain again, this time with a spanner to remove the battery.

Anybody removing a 996 battery single-handedly will know, as I learnt, that you have to actually climb into the boot yourself to lift it out.

When daylight returned, I availed myself of the opportunity to give the whole area a good clean, I coated the battery tray in wax, galvanised and waxed the nuts, bolts and bracket, and fitted a new battery.

These four drain holes all got a good flush through.

I while I was at it, I charged the 3.2, ran the engine and heater for a while, and cleaned out the sunroof drain holes, bonnet channels and windscreen rubbers.

And I baked the silica gel bags which I keep in both cars to keep them good and dry inside.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

They are heavy too Rob aren’t they? I think they are not far off 20kgs, which is no fun when, as you say, you are standing in the frunk….
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

rhd racer wrote:They are heavy too Rob aren’t they? I think they are not far off 20kgs, which is no fun when, as you say, you are standing in the frunk….
Indeed. Compounded by the fact I couldn't see how to separate the battery from the tray so I unbolted that and lifted the whole lot out together, and it is a very tight little hole with pipes, hoses and wires all around.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Boxster battery is evil to get out alone too.
Many do not know about the 2 drain holes by the battery base and they cover over very quickly.
Modern cars are not nice to work on.

You have to re-set the PSM system after disconnecting my 987.2 Boxster, no big deal at all, but all these interconnections add to the job.

Interestingly, there is a great deal of member support on the PCGB Boxster/Cayman section in the club forum. Many Boxster people DIY jobs on the cars.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Went for a little drive for the first time in ages :)

Wet and mucky out, but nice to hear that flat six sing again.

KS

Post by KS »

Well, not me exactly, but Steve Kerti getting stuck into my 914... (and yes, the roof does fit). All checked out with MSUK scrutineer for legality – and made from correct ROPD tubing.
Door bars next, along with diagonals to bulkhead and ties to the upper seat belt mounts.

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel