What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by BILLY BEAN »

It's getting serious. Going so fast in the 2023 season that roll over protection is being installed. Already on the slippy slope.
Rust Never Sleeps
JFP58
DDK Newbie

Post by JFP58 »

Did my daily search here, the 912 forum, early 911s forum and eBay for original parts for my 69’ 912 Targa. Body shell is at Carparc USA for metal and paint work until at least October, so I still have time to gather everything I need to reassemble it.
John
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi All
Yesterday, I removed my 550 reps harness in an attempt to dry them out…

Today if the rain holds off I’ll remove the tonneau cover and try and dry that off as well.
Sometimes even a decent ‘all weather’ cover just can’t cope…
It’s not all glamour this ‘open car’ ownership!
ImageImage

All the best
Ian F.

Ps. On the bright side its adding a little patina...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Over the last 2 evenings I did a job I have been putting off (for good reason sit turns out!) on the 986 Tiptronic that not even I understand why I am restoring!

The main aircon pipe had a hole in it which could not be repaired. It’s proximity to the front jacking point meant it had been pinched at some point them rotted through.

The bit I was dreading is that it wraps around the filler neck and appears in the front scuttle, which sure enough meant the filler neck needed undoing, and various pipes, connectors and canisters needed removing. Once done, the simple task of undoing the engine end was somewhat thwarted by corrosion, the only solution being to undo the large flexi to the aircon pump and feed it through the incredibly tight space at the front of the engine.

Once disassembled, by a process of drilling, cutting and heating I could get the two flanges separated, cleaned and refitted to the car.

Now it is most definitely wine o’clock…

93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Took the covers of my 914 and dried it. Then it took it out for 5 mins to warm it up and got rained on

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Waiting for some parts for project Boxster so finally got some free time to replace the oil breather pipes on the 964. A pig of a job, all the jubilees on the oil tank needed carefully cutting off, pulling them through the grommet to the engine bay is an arse, and of course everything under the arch is covered in crud.

On the positive side, I immediately found the problem and why it has been leaking oil on a fresh engine - it has been pressurising due to one of the pipes being linked beyond the point of no return - in fact I could not get my little finger up it

Hopefully should be dry from here on…

Just two more pipes to go….

93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Today.......
Took the oil pressure gauge out, took it apart and reattached the silver nipple back on.

Then decided it was time to make the clock going (Kienzle). Put a temporary strand of wire to bridge the fusible link to the coil. That got it going, so ordered up some bits from Amazon to service it and put an adequately low temperature solder on it.

(Avoided thinking about shall I shan't I on a Leitz roof rack ...)

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

All breathers replaced - just need to fix the crank position sensor this evening and it is good to go for an MOT…

93 964 C2

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Of many months of losing the knob in the garage I found it and fitted it to the heat vent.Image

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

Entry accepted and ferry booked for Saint Goueno Masters hillclimb in Brittany, first weekend of June.

Three days and 3.2km of French madness. :drunken:

https://hillclimbfrance.co.uk/

https://youtu.be/Z-JIG5B5WUg
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

KS wrote:Entry accepted and ferry booked for Saint Goueno Masters hillclimb in Brittany, first weekend of June.

Three days and 3.2km of French madness. :drunken:

https://hillclimbfrance.co.uk/

https://youtu.be/Z-JIG5B5WUg
That's looks like a great event. I couldn't find how to enter on the website so I've emailed them.

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

French hill climb:
Would love to know what you will need to compete Keith.
I've been told so many different things, confused by being an actual runner or a 'Guest run'.

I know a few who have done that event, and all absolutely LOVED it!

Fair bit of FIA equipment i think?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
KS

Post by KS »

911hillclimber wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:02 pm French hill climb:
Would love to know what you will need to compete Keith.
I've been told so many different things, confused by being an actual runner or a 'Guest run'.

I know a few who have done that event, and all absolutely LOVED it!

Fair bit of FIA equipment i think?
No - as long as your car runs to MSUK rules according to your hillclimb class, you're good to go. If your car is in production class, for example, you can still run with lap & diagonal belts, like in the UK. Essentially it's run as a UK event in France, with a few 'extras' thrown in, such as being able to run whatever tyres you like regardless of class. Oh, and requiring two rear view mirrors because overtaking is permitted! The emphasis is very much put on having fun and entertaining the crowds...

Here's how the regs start:

Definition of the event:
Saint Goueno Masters is a supporting event to run in parallel with the Saint Goueno round of the Championnat de France de la Montagne. Drivers must hold either an MSUK or MSI competition licence for hillclimb, race or rally. Cars must comply with hillclimb technical regulations of their home country, drivers of cars manufactured post 1977 are required to wear a HANS device*.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Could be a good opportunity for a short road trip in support………
KS

Post by KS »

Ian Comerford wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:24 am Could be a good opportunity for a short road trip in support………
There will be a few UK Porsche drivers competing - in addition to all the many totally crazy European hillclimb entrants.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel