What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:20 am I can quite imagine the escalation here.
Fly tipping's a serious risk when you're not frequently at your property. We had a commercial tenant who ran an illegal waste wood chip business on some rented land. The clean up cost was just over £250k and he got a year in prison. He still hasn't done his time and the landlord will never see the money.

https://app.croneri.co.uk/feature-artic ... -operation

Thankfully the waste wasn't on our land. While he was renting our office, the landlord of the old GKN Sinter Materials site in Lichfield gave somebody permission to use it for lorry parking. Next time he visited it was full of household waste. His gate fees alone were half a million pounds for the waste disposal, let alone the cost of picking it up and getting it moved. He was saved by a fire which destroyed much of the waste.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/l ... d-13637944

The scale of losses on my tiny little plot is probably limited to a wasted weekend but nevertheless - better avoided.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Crumbs. That all sounds very serious and upsetting. I feel bad for being a flippant smarty pants.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Sam wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:48 pm Crumbs. That all sounds very serious and upsetting. I feel bad for being a flippant smarty pants.
Not at all, your flippancy is welcome light relief. I was just saying there's big money in waste fraud (and to watch out leaving your land unattended).
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Put the engine & gearbox back in me car after having a LSD fitted, waiting for a dry day to test drive it
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
hot66

Post by hot66 »

markm wrote:Put the engine & gearbox back in me car after having a LSD fitted, waiting for a dry day to test drive it
Been out yet ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
markm

Post by markm »

Not yet no, been busy working might do Saturday morning
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Simon Rudge
DDK forever

Post by Simon Rudge »

Well, pulled the heads off today.

As expected, had no.2 and 3 cylinders showing signs of blowing at the head joints, along with the possibility of no 5 moving a bit. The head nuts on no.5 were noticeably slacker than the rest. No sign of the head moving against the cam carrier. I suspect there may be a tolerance difference between the barrels that side, even as they have the same height group markings. Need to pull the barrels as well now, waiting until I have my surface plate and height gauge available to check them. W

Will get the heads decked this week, to rule out any issues there.

It does get driven firmly.......
Simon

1970 911T (with E motor)
1978 Moto Guzzi 850T3
daily whatever parts chaser.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Tuned the 356. Valves were a little out. After setting them and checking the timing. I took it for a test run to warm it up. It sounded much better but then refused to start when back at home. Took me a while but I found a loose wire on the coil. Balanced and set the mixture on the carbs.Image

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Resolved to organise my garage properly. Its 5m x 3.5m with too much stuff not ordered. First item of business was to obviously buy something else to put in there in the form of a Halfords full height roller cabinet, almost new off facebook for the princely sum of £150. Hopefully it will swallow up much of the loose stuff along with my Stahlwille Rollmaster tool trolly.

I think I'm going to board an area in the loft to take all the camping equipment which will free up quite a bit of space.

Plenty to clear out too!
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

At long last, the Lola-Porsche hillclimb car is coming into focus from a very long sleep under a cover.

At very long last a bit of 'action'!
Action in spending money to get into the 2024 season that is.

All admin I must admit, and becoming a bit of an eye-opener.

First, buy a new helmet to replace the perfect old one because the Standard has changed £600
Second, join the Midland Hillclimb Championship, £100
Thirdly, enter the first 6 meetings of the 9 we plan to do. £1300

The entry costs keep going up and starting to get a bit 'is this value for money/effort?'

Around £200 per weekend for 5 runs, each about 40 sec on average, so about £40 per run, plus all the travel etc....

I keep telling myself now the car seems ok the season should be reasonable on the money front, and far cheaper than circuits though the latter must be far greater value.

2024 will be our 33rd year of competing on the hills and i think our 31st year in the Midland Championship.
Today, if you are not a Championship runner entry acceptance can be a lottery.

On a brighter note, I'm flushing the brake fluid out of the Lola today which I do every 2 years.
I was contemplating changing the brake pads to Carbone Loraine (sp) which are the deal for most hillclimb cars.
I have had these on my old 911 for a decade and they are really good if a bit of a squeal at slow speeds.
The car seems to stop well enough now so not sure there will be any real benefit for £500 cost.

On the hills you use the brakes very few times but very hard, at Shelsley Walsh you brake just twice and change gear 5 times, maybe 6 on the 30 second dash.

Trailer will need some tlc soon to remove the green moss etc and tweak the brakes now the new shoes of last year have bedded in.

First event is at Loton Park on 13/14th April, so no rush!

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

911hillclimber wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 am The entry costs keep going up and starting to get a bit 'is this value for money/effort?'

Around £200 per weekend for 5 runs, each about 40 sec on average, so about £40 per run, plus all the travel etc....
That 40 seconds going up the hill is only the pointy end of a very thick wedge, when you consider the richness the sport brings to your life in terms of interest, hobbying, cameraderie, anticipation and excitement (and disappointment, frustration...!)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Good luck for the session this year. I thought about you and your highly trained brake bleeder this weekend. I had Mrs Bardsley reving the 356 while I adjusted the linkage to balance the carburettors. She seemed to find it boring!

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
markm

Post by markm »

hot66 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:43 pm Been out yet ?
Finally took the car out for a spin with the new LSD fitted, you can tell the difference. The cars wants to get off the corners now with a spring in its step, feels more linear in a straight line acceleration also

Now, just need to take it somewhere to give it a proper drive
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Stripped back the o/s front quarter of the 996 to change the lower radiator hose which drips... then put it all back together again as I have the wrong hose.

It's a job I'll be well practiced at by the time I complete it, because I stripped it and reassembled once already to learn where the leak was.

A productive day nevertheless, I checked all the carpets were dry, cleaned out the sunroof drains, torqued all the wheel nuts and had a look at the auto solo at Curborough.
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi All
For the 2nd day in a row the sun was out, so off too the seaside we go…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)