What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Took the 1970 S out for almost 4 hours and traversed three counties: Oxfordshire, Warwickshire and Northamptonshire: Cotswold Stone, Iron Stone and er just Stone. Quite a few motorbikes tearing up the highways and byways. Did a stint along the Fosseway which has regular signs saying "Dangerous Road", "X number of accidents. Whilst the Fosse Way is a Roman road it is far from straight. Ventured to Kineton and Gilks Garage Cafe and had a mini breakfast. Two Austin Atlantic drop heads were the only interesting vehicles. Bit barge like but interesting nevertheless. Gilks not as "cool" as Caffeine & Machine but a nice spot for a short stop. The breakfast beans made themselves known once I got back on the road. Still I was driving alone with the windows open. Tried to blag my way into C&M but failed miserably as it is ticket only at weekends. The place was heaving and being dry the dust was swirling from the car parks. Re enactment of desert storm anyone? Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rust Never Sleeps
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Took the pulley bolt off and applied some sealant to see if it stops a leak Image

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Made a lovely Porsche display on the front lawn.

It goes back on as easily as it comes off, right?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Drove it. Broke it. oil dumped over right hand side exhaust. managed to limp it home, luckily i had 2 litres of oil with me.

Put in its garage and smashed the :cussing: :cussing: left hand mirror.
1974 Porsche 914
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Went to the British Motor Museum for one one their free evening events in the 993.This is my third attempt at getting to one of these. The first attempt in the ST led to a flat battery after being stuck in traffic for hours on the M40. On the second attempt rain of biblical proportions led me to give it a miss. We have been enjoying glorious weather for days so what could go wrong? Got to Gaydon early and the cars were rolling in. After around 90 minutes in rained .......bugger!
Few really interesting or rare cars but a nice relaxed event. Will definately go again weather permitting.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rust Never Sleeps
jb

Post by jb »

jb wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:04 pm I went looking underneath for an oil leak after I was stuck in traffic yesterday and noticed the smoke coming out the back every few minutes as oil dripped onto the heat exchanger.
I seems to be coming from the oil crossover nuts.
It seems to be impossible to tighten them without removing the heat exchanger and oil return tube?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just an update in this.
Graham was right there was no way I was going to be able to get at this without taking the heat exchangers off.
The best was some long jawed mole grips but there was no room and I don't think it moved.

However I thought it might be helpful to point out that I later discovered that the problem I was seeing was not oil dripping on the heat exchangers but smoke coming out of the exhaust.
After the depressing thought of an engine rebuild I took a quick look through pelican and discovered that over filling the oil tank can result in smoke out the exhaust and so I bought a big 'oil suction gun' and removed a litre of oil and now the problem has been solved.

Oil still drips on the heart exchangers but Gary''s solution seems a practical one for now.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Were you tempted just to open the sump bolt for a litre or am I being stupid because the 911 is dry sumped so this isn't possible?

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Neil, the 911 engine dry sump tank hold the majority of the oil just after switching off the engine. Only the oil pump 'seals' this oil (about 8 litres) from returning to the sump of the engine.
There is a presence of oil in the sump after switching off, and quite a bit too, over a litre after the oil has drained off the inside of the whole engine to the engine sump.

I think pumping some out was a wise way to get some out!

JB: good it has worked out!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Having had covid since the day I got back from CLM, today finally felt up to washing the CLM grime off the car and then taking it for a quick blast up the dale. Thought I was relatively early but the tourists were already out .

Photo could almost be France with the grass burning off as it is
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Ian (Monkeychap) and I gave our cars a Sunday rest, and instead went to Out East by bicycle.

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Took the Rep out for another run round Strangford Lough to enjoy the feel of the newly fitted CL pads. They certainly do provide great bite when the middle pedal is depressed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MikeB on Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Changed the oil filter. Lubricated the distributor. Adjusted the clutch and handbrake.ImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Also found out the 16mm hex I've been using on my gearbox to put oil in is 1mm too small because I couldn't get the drain plug out. 17mm ordered

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

The 17mm hex arrived so I changed the gearbox oil. Firstly lots of fur on the magnetic. I'm pretty sure I changed the gearbox oil when I got the car so that is concerning. I will change again in 500 miles.

Next I've stupidity been running my oil pumps small hose suction to large hose out. Google said to do it the other way and it was so much quicker. I thought the small hose would mean higher pressure which would flow quicker to the lower pressure side but clearly not. Can some explain why?