What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by stretch »

MarkIII wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:43 pm Two 996s ! You must have it bad .....
Was waiting for the right car to turn up Mark. :) :)
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Last Sunday a neighbour asked me to lay off the grinding because he had guests around and they wanted to enjoy the garden, so I apologised for the noise, wrapped up what I was doing and packed up the car for the day. I told him I was aware I was being antisocial but there wouldn't be too much more as the job was nearly complete.

This morning I got cracking about 9:30 finishing up the floor, including some grinding. Something caught my eye and I looked, with the grinder running and my earplugs in, to see his wife's really angry face and her mouth opening and closing rapidly. I removed my earplugs to hear a canticle of insults. Then she marched up the drive, going in my garage, ranting about it not being the place for a scrapyard and pulling plugs out. I'm not the type to engage in a slanging match in the street. I tried to have a civil conversation about when would be a better time but she was just venting at me so I drew the garage door down until she walked off.

She's fallen out with two other neighbours, always about noise, which she's obviously quite sensitive about.

As she stomped away she tried to smash the wing mirror on one of my cars. Thankfully no damage was done, although she is now suspect number one for keying the 996 a few weeks back.

Having a predilection for never rewarding naughty behaviour, I fired the grinder right up and carried on with the job. The sooner I get it finished, the sooner we all get some peace and quiet.

A minute later her husband came onto the drive shouting aggressively at me. I told him that her naughty behaviour had lost them their neighbourly privileges and to leave the property.

As I resumed grinding I found myself the unwilling participant of a wrestling match within the confines of a Porsche. What on earth he was thinking coming on my property and getting into a tussle, I cannot imagine, unless Mrs angry pants had tasked him with confiscating the angle grinder. He felt pretty solid as soon as I got hold of him, I know he runs and I'm pretty sure he works out, and I'm just a decrepit fat old man with arthritis.

Nevertheless, a lifetime of judo rendered his endeavour a folly and he who moments earlier entered my property by land, left it by air. I dumped him flat on his back in the road, still with an angle grinder in my possession. Pinning him to the tarmac, I was reluctant to let him go in case the situation deteriorated so I explained to him that in a minute I would be letting him go at which point I would withdraw to my property and he would not set foot on it again. It took a few seconds of struggling for him to realise that his limbs were all tied up and that he was completely powerless.

Thankfully, he accepted the terms of release, I let him go and that was the end of the matter... until his wife came back down the road and my wife came out and the two of them enjoyed a good old shout at each other with lots of wagging of fingers. I really felt for my poor old neighbour who had been sent on an errand by his wife and failed, got dumped on the tarmac, and as he skulked off up the road his wife followed behind scolding him for his shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

My lord - a lively day!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Whilst I’d hesitate to report a neighbour, that’s assault and maybe a visit from plod would make him see sense, or aggravate them further. Either way I’d struggle to leave it there.

Angle grinders in the open air are bloody loud and there’s no way around that. Maybe time to clear the garage out and move the work indoors?
KS

Post by KS »

I must admit, I could never bring myself to do cutting/grinding on my driveway (when I had one). One of the most hateful sounds imaginable. However, assault is assault, for which there is no excuse.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
desert rat
DDK addict

Post by desert rat »

I woulldn't trust her to let it go at that Rob. Maybe it's time to set up some covert cctv. It's always sad when neighbours fall out, no one wins.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Been through the same, but not so physical.
Times change. When I did the restoration of my 911 in '88, on the drive, in the single garage and in a long cul-de-sac all was well, Live and let Live prevailed.
I hate grinding too, so the faster I did it the better.

Roll on to a house move in a smaller cul de sac, Rob has been to my house, they are 'circled' like a western film wagon train set for the night or to fight the Indians...

Bloke across the road a few years ago staggered over to me washing the 911. Onto my garden, both fists clenched, shouting 'dick Head, fu33ing stop that'

He was a car enthusiast too, M3 and a Boxster.
I asked him to leave, and said I was sorry to be washing my car.
It turned out moments later that he hated the loud exhaust noise of the 911 and that was his complaint, me running the 911 before I took to washing it.
I sharpened the blade of my Flymo a few weeks later, grinder, and it all happened again.

Another complained about me using a rattle can on a sunday doing the honda bike, but he has a builder's radio blaring while he uses power tools to clean his garden, but of course that is ok by him, stuff the others around.
I tolerate that for the sake of peace.

Live and let Live has gone unless you are lucky.

These things are very upsetting and cannot just be shugged-off. The treat is always there while the people are.

My Boxster Man has since moved away from the area, still have the other one!

I've been offered a nice rust-free MGB roadster for free, needs a good commissioning, no grinding, but lots of garage activity, but put off by some around me getting up tight.

A complaint made by them to the Council will get you under the cosh, they will be assumed to be the innocent, you the perpetrator.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

desert rat wrote:I woulldn't trust her to let it go at that Rob. Maybe it's time to set up some covert cctv. It's always sad when neighbours fall out, no one wins.
There's already overt cctv including of yesterdays attempted angle grinder robbery! I was contemplating adding some covert cover, possibly a dashcam. Any recommendations?
KS wrote:I must admit, I could never bring myself to do cutting/grinding on my driveway (when I had one). One of the most hateful sounds imaginable. However, assault is assault, for which there is no excuse.
You're a better man than I. The close neighbours told me to press on as it doesn't bother them, and I was going to buy them a little something by way of a thank-you for their tolerance.

Most of us are pretty chill here. The two stroke stihl pole trimmer the couple in question revved up for four hours solidly the other day is louder than the grinder and nobody complained. People have to get stuff done sometimes.

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

911hillclimber wrote:Been through the same, but not so physical.
Times change. When I did the restoration of my 911 in '88, on the drive, in the single garage and in a long cul-de-sac all was well, Live and let Live prevailed.
I hate grinding too, so the faster I did it the better.

Roll on to a house move in a smaller cul de sac, Rob has been to my house, they are 'circled' like a western film wagon train set for the night or to fight the Indians...

Bloke across the road a few years ago staggered over to me washing the 911. Onto my garden, both fists clenched, shouting 'dick Head, fu33ing stop that'

He was a car enthusiast too, M3 and a Boxster.
I asked him to leave, and said I was sorry to be washing my car.
It turned out moments later that he hated the loud exhaust noise of the 911 and that was his complaint, me running the 911 before I took to washing it.
I sharpened the blade of my Flymo a few weeks later, grinder, and it all happened again.

Another complained about me using a rattle can on a sunday doing the honda bike, but he has a builder's radio blaring while he uses power tools to clean his garden, but of course that is ok by him, stuff the others around.
I tolerate that for the sake of peace.

Live and let Live has gone unless you are lucky.

These things are very upsetting and cannot just be shugged-off. The treat is always there while the people are.

My Boxster Man has since moved away from the area, still have the other one!

I've been offered a nice rust-free MGB roadster for free, needs a good commissioning, no grinding, but lots of garage activity, but put off by some around me getting up tight.

A complaint made by them to the Council will get you under the cosh, they will be assumed to be the innocent, you the perpetrator.
The awkwardness afterwards, when you share the same environment and have to pass each other is disappointing. But the worst thing for me is I feel bad for poor old Ian who was probably put up to it, didn't think his actions through and got humiliated. He's a decent bloke most of the time and now he has the ignominy to deal with as well as a few scratches and bruises. Thank god it didn't come to more.

RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Gary71 wrote:

Angle grinders in the open air are bloody loud and there’s no way around that. Maybe time to clear the garage out and move the work indoors?
If a neighbour told me the noise was really getting to them and asked me to stop, that's probably what I would do. But I can't countenance giving them what they want in return for coming onto my property, vandalising my stuff, and taking matters into their own hands. While I'm not calling the police on them, I'm not going to leave them feeling vindicated either. Which also suits me because I want to get the job finished.

rhd racer

Post by rhd racer »

Wow - you did well to wrestle him to the ground and keep hold of the grinder!

On a more serious note, I always struggle with situations that go nuclear with no warning. If they had spoken to you again, like they did a few weeks ago, things would have ended very differently I am sure, and you would have respected their request and made an agreement. The way things escalated suggests that they have been at home all this time countering to themselves and getting more and more worked up until BOOM, she snapped and sent him off to sort things out.

I am a magnet for noisy jobs, but must admit I angle grind inside only and mention in passing if I have a particularly anti social job planned. I have got into more situations spraying than grinding in the past when in close proximity to other houses. But people have different triggers, the builders radio before 8am, kids on a climbing frame, or an angle grinder - depends on the person!

Hope you find some sensible way to live near them and things go no further

Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Way back I self painted my 911 in cellulose at my previous house.
People around me were closer in distance than where I now live.
Smells and noise, all real offenders (compressor running, cellulose fumes etc). All no probs, a few were interested in the 911 restoration. People then maintained their own cars on the drive...

Due to all the recent fuss detailed above I decided not to re-paint (2K) my 911 in my double width garage, but used a small lock shop instead, £1500 cost.

I can only imagine the grief of me painting the houses and cars around me.

Pet hate in my cul de sac is the football kick-abouts with kids. No respect to bashing a car with a foot ball, parents don't care if this happens to any car, inc theirs.
Kids have little sense of other's property and insist on playing on other's gardens except their own!

Why is that?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
sladey

What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by sladey »

You did well Rob.

When I did my last resto the neighbour asked where she could get her wheels powder coated. I offered to get them done for her at my expense to say thank you.

She had the grace to give me a way of doing a favour and I had the sense to pick up on it
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

Must have been an entertaining random sight at the moment someone looked out of their window to see the neighbour pinned to the floor by your foot with you standing over him waggling an angle grinder.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

rhd racer wrote:The way things escalated suggests that they have been at home all this time countering to themselves and getting more and more worked up until BOOM, she snapped and sent him off to sort things out.
I hadn't done a moment's work since we spoke last week.

g3ngs2 wrote:Must have been an entertaining random sight at the moment someone looked out of their window to see the neighbour pinned to the floor by your foot with you standing over him waggling an angle grinder.
To be fair, the grinder remained in the car, I meant he didn't get away with it.

So, an update...

This morning I decided to ease them in to the day's aural stimulus with a front wing removal. Within about thirty seconds of using the impact driver, who should appear?

Surprise, surprise, she had come to apologise for losing her temper. She doesn't want to fall out and everything got on top of her yesterday because it was her son's birthday party.

I apologised for the noise, reassured her I would be done sooner, and told her if there was any time I couldn't make a noise to come and let me know.