What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by neilbardsley »

Set the headlights on the 356. I thought about taking the 914 out for a spin but they salted the roads

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

Hi All
Not strictly what 'I did' or even 'today' but yesterday I collected my 997 C2S ‘Daily’ from having it’s new wheels & tyres fitted, so now while no longer having an early 911 at least the wheels look similar…
For those who care about such things the wheels are made by Retro Alloys (in Italy I’m told), they're 19” and fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s, that on a rain soaked M6 felt a lot softer (without losing any of the cars inherent balance) riding than my old ‘run-flat’ Bridgestone RE 050’s.

Due to a small SNAFU the wrong centre caps where delivered and , the right ones should be on their way so the holes in the wheel centres should a little smarter soon.

The car is running a slightly lowered & stiffened Bilstein/Eibach 'fast road' set-up and these 'fake' Fuchs give a slightly more aggressive 'elbows out' stance with out going all 'Max Power'...
The front tyres look little low on pressure to me, so if it isn't raining I'll be having a little 'fiddle' with their settings
Very happy with the results so far....

All the best

Ian F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by alfacat on Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
sladey

Post by sladey »

I’ve got sport 4s’s on the GT4 - really like them - nice and predictable in the wet or damp unlike the cup2s that it came with which were squirrely as f*ck over anything damp. A bit of phlegm on the road and you’d be wondering what hedge you’d end up in
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

Picked these up from Butlins classic cars with a coat of zinc epoxy. Chemically stripped at Envirostrip first. My lovely wife doesn't seem too unhappy about my latest art installation in the hall - not sure how long that will last.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

sladey wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:56 pm I’ve got sport 4s’s on the GT4 - really like them - nice and predictable in the wet or damp unlike the cup2s that it came with which were squirrely as f*ck over anything damp. A bit of phlegm on the road and you’d be wondering what hedge you’d end up in
Glad to hear another recommendation for the 4S's, decent wet weather handling was a big factor in going down that route. I've been a big fan of the Bridgestones wet weather feel (despite there rather hard ride) but the front tyres are almost imposable to get now and tyre technology has I 'd guess moved on.

The Cup2's I've always put (possibly mistakenly) in the same bracket as Yokohama A0 50R's and Avon ACB10's both of which I had fitted to my Elise 135R and Caterham SLR in that they where stunning in the dry but scary in the wet. In the case of the SLR (a real feather weight at 470Kg, allegedly) and standing water they where truly terrifying!

I'm a bit to old for all the sliding around stuff now...LOL

All the best

Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Put wheel stops in my garage to prevent me hitting the worktop.

Took the 914 for a drive and heard a noise from the rear left wheel. Checked and the calipers are much to tight on the disc. I tried to adjust and fail. Loosing the outer adjustment bolt didn't move the pads at all. Goodness knows how people adjust the inner. I couldn't see what I was doing Image

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

neilbardsley wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:06 pm Put wheel stops in my garage to prevent me hitting the worktop.

Took the 914 for a drive and heard a noise from the rear left wheel. Checked and the calipers are much to tight on the disc. I tried to adjust and fail. Loosing the outer adjustment bolt didn't move the pads at all. Goodness knows how people adjust the inner. I couldn't see what I was doing

This any good?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

After the excitement of a cooked rotor arm, (thanks to all on the CLM group for the emotional support and pointers!)

Three new non resistor rotor arms to keep the MSD happy and a spare cap to replace the spare cap that went on to the 911.

New Clewett HT leads on the way from Pelican Parts, (suspect the existing Clewetts on there are just fine but bought standard non MSD friendly ones when the car was being done so left what was there in place).

Redid the throttle stops on the bodies and rods, regapped the the spark plugs to 1.05mm.

Got new window trim clips from D911 as what was there were non original plastic trim clips which are a perfect fit but have been in use a while and had given. Cut foam washers from a sheet for them because I'm fecked if I'm paying three quid a pop x14 for a bit magic Porsche ones.

After getting the idea in my head after seeing Angus' cooler at last year's LMC snagged this on eBay for a couldn't pass up price.Image

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Nine One One wrote:
neilbardsley wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:06 pm Put wheel stops in my garage to prevent me hitting the worktop.

Took the 914 for a drive and heard a noise from the rear left wheel. Checked and the calipers are much to tight on the disc. I tried to adjust and fail. Loosing the outer adjustment bolt didn't move the pads at all. Goodness knows how people adjust the inner. I couldn't see what I was doing

This any good?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90625
Thank you that is the page I was using

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Oil change time. Next big trip soon so I'm starting to drive the car a bit more and iron out any issues Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Made a bracket and fitted a double usb port. All fully removable. A fully charged mobile phone is very useful for long distance navigation. Next I need to wire itImageImage

70sThrowback
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 70sThrowback »

Went to a breakfast meet organised by York OPC. Nice turnout and was interesting to see these 2 opposite end of the spectrum cars parked next to each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonny

Current custodian of 1976 Porsche 912E, 1973 VW Camper
g3ngs2
Married to the DDK

Post by g3ngs2 »

"What didn't you do..."

Well that's not going to bloody work is it ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

--------------------
911T MFI
Gen 2 Boxster
Merc stealth shed
--------------------
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

neilbardsley wrote:Made a bracket and fitted a double usb port. All fully removable. A fully charged mobile phone is very useful for long distance navigation. Next I need to wire itImageImage

Unfortunately, I think I've bgt a 12v unit as wired up it didn't work. I'm not sure why but I removed it. Looks like we will be using battery rechargers.

Next I checked for play in any of the wheels and found none but did have to back off the right rear brake shoe a bit.

chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Hi Neil,

Something like this should work from your 6V system. Can't vouch for quality. Just make sure you run it from a fused 6V feed.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355513957335 ... gJ1FvD_BwE

Cheers
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts