What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: What did you do in/on/for your Porsche today?

Post by RobFrost »

rhd racer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:05 am Thanks for your thoughts Chris. I have isolated the problem, but not the cause. It is oil in the inlet, so no issue with the engine per se, rather something bolted to it. I have done some reading up and ran it up to temp last night and can eliminate the following;
- Rings - engine rebuilt 2k ago with new rings
- Vent hoses - all new from engine to inlet to tank and back
- Thermostat - working, ran to temp last night and can feel the oil line against the front offside headlight en route to the cooler

They are sensitive to over-fill and some say to run them at the bottom of the dipstick - I have not done this, and since getting back to an oil bath on Sunday actually put more in (still just below the max). I think my next step is to give it an oil change and filter, then fill to just over the min on the dipstick when up to temp and see how I get on. I am not really sure what else it can be. It’s certainly nothing serious, but to Keith’s point it is one heck of a mess and then blown by the fan up, down and around before it falls out the bottom!
Think of it as free rustproofing
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

On Saturday it was the members' track afternoon at Curborough - a really wonderful social event 5 mins from my house, the object of which, for most of us, is to drive round the sprint course in as lary a manner as it is possible to accomplish without annoying the marshalls who have very kindly volunteered to help out.

I've friends there with vehicles including E46 M3, Honda S2000, M4 tuned to 560bhp, Z3, and others come in all machines from midget, spitfire, gt6, Nissan micra, mini, to early lotus 7, Ginetta and more modern porsche turbos.

Members are generally happy to take passengers round and this is quite enjoyable in itself, because not being in charge of the driver inputs makes it all the more thrilling.

I usually take a beat up old mg zr. Not that I don't want to drive my Porsche as intended, but mishaps could be expensive and of course half the fun is in pushing close to the limits.

Anyway, as a fellow 911 owner was coming along, I took the 3.2 hot rod on Saturday and a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon was had by all. The sun was out, the coffee was flowing, two other ddkers brought their air cooled machines and the smell of vaporised rubber filled the air.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

KS wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:19 pm This summed up today... :lol: (sound up)

https://youtu.be/j_Mna599xmo
Yes, it was a mixed weekend. Thursday and Friday setting up were fine at Wiscombe, but it rained overnight on Friday and Saturday morning. It was dry enough to change on to my slicks for practice and my first timed run, although it was just starting to rain at that point. I changed back to wets for the second run as it was then raining steadily, and continued for most of the night. On Sunday morning it cleared up, although the paddock was really wet. The organisers decided to run just one practice and then one timed run before lunch, hopefully before the weather broke. They managed that - just! Some single-seaters were getting below the 40 sec mark, but after lunch the rain came in heavier for a couple of hours, so it was decided to leave it at two timed runs.
On both days I was 2nd in class to Mitsubishi Evo 5 - I think his extra 400bhp and 4WD gave him a slight edge in the conditions...........

Perversely, the sun came out and it was very pleasant, if still muddy under foot, for the prize giving and packing up! :roll:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Mentally a hard weekend at Shelsley.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Visited the museum this morning.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Back from a weekend in Bath and I'm running through jobs to get the 356 ready for the hill climb.

- Set the valves
- Added the remaining led headlight
- Added the door card back but I managed to put the door handle on the wrong way so it will have to come off again. Bloody obvious once I tried to wind the window back up.
- Set tyres pressures at 27/29
- Took for a drive to warm up.
- I have to say I was disappointed that the handling didn't feel much different. I might try to drop the pressure on the front to 25.
- Then I tried to tune but my timing light decided not to work
- I had to adjust the linkage to balance the carburetors
- rain stopped another test drive

The bumper can back repaired but not painted!!

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

After my triumph of getting the squirters to work, I decided that starting would be even better and perhaps safer if all the petrol got squirted in rather than half of it squirted round the engine bay.

So with great trepidation I set about changing the fuel hose to the squirters. It turned out to be an easy job, no squirters got broken and I did it in an evening.

Hurrah!
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

I took my daughter down to the nearest town for a sleepover in the 964 to get fuel for Sunday. She must have wanted to go because she got in it without complaint….

Anyhow, pootling at 70 on the dual carriageway a van driver waved furiously and I thought he was doing the usual ‘that’s a cool car from 5 paces’. Ok, maybe 10.

Anyhow, 3 miles further on I noticed something and said ‘S***, I’ve no headlight!’. So I pulled over at the next lay-by and sure enough it was hanging by the wiring! To be clear, the 3 pin plug is not long enough so had long gone and it was hanging by the side light only…..

On the plus side, it was still there. So I have since done a field repair so I can go on Sunday, but will have to avoid the short A1 detour of the queue into the roadworks which is literally the worlds bumpiest road, so would test my field repair to the max!!

Fingers crossed it holds up until I replace the front wings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
sladey

Post by sladey »

Take some duct tape with you - that would get you home no probs
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

i fitted a new fan belt. hopefully no more embarassing squealing. i also fitted the refreshed caliper and then took it back off again
1974 Porsche 914
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Had a great drive in the Black kettle down to Beaulieu. Wonderful weather. Available to buy in the classifieds at 13.5k. :) :)

Image20230430_163250 by stretch1985, on Flickr
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

sladey wrote:Take some duct tape with you - that would get you home no probs
On the case, just in case field repair fails…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

stretch wrote:Had a great drive in the Black kettle down to Beaulieu. Wonderful weather. Available to buy in the classifieds at 13.5k. :) :)
Lovely, and a bargain. I wouldn't mind an early 996 if I didn't have too many cars already.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

stretch wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:24 pm Had a great drive in the Black kettle down to Beaulieu. Wonderful weather. Available to buy in the classifieds at 13.5k. :) :)
Have you got the link to the ad as have a friend interested in similar?