SC dash removal

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

puddy1
DDK Newbie

SC dash removal

Post by puddy1 »

Hi ,
I am currently in the process of stripping my 79 SC to a bare shell prior to having it sent off for de rusting at Enviro-strip in a couple of weeks . Today I managed to remove most items from the luggage bay, fan blower, wiper mech etc and worked my way into the back of the clocks . I then removed the dash pad which went better than I thought it might , my problem being with dash pad removed it left the clocks with the vynl area behind seemingly glued on to the metal of the car ,I had asumed this was a lift out item like the dash pad , this vynl obviously matches the dash and it needs to come off for re use but it apears that it is well stuck down and could well be brittle like the dash pad . If anyone has any tips on getting this off in one piece I would be most greatfull !
I also need to remove the lower part of the dash so I can get the steering columb out etc ,it seems to be called the lower knee pad in my bently book but in the book it looks diferent and shows screws from below either end which I dont seem to have ,no ac I just need to take this all out but wondering how to proceed . Again any clues would be great as after an hour of contemplation I wasnt getting anywhere and decided it was time for a cuppa before I broke something expensive .
MonkeyChap
I luv DDK!

Re: SC dash removal

Post by MonkeyChap »

Hi

The knee pads are a pig to remove - the nuts are in an awkward position. I think I removed the corner vents and the glovebox to get at them, bit it's a while since I did it. It just takes patience and lots of different angles of attack.

I don't think you'd want to re-fit that vinyl after you've removed it from around the clocks. However, a hair dryer should soften it (and the glue) a bit.
Ian
'84 Carrera
'71 2.2S (long gone)
'65 Spitfire
'06 RS4 Avant
puddy1
DDK Newbie

Post by puddy1 »

Thanks Ian , I take it if I ruin the old vinyl it is easily matched with a new piece. I have just bought a heat gun so will give it a wizz and see if I can salvage the original bit but as you say I dont fancy my chances , great to have some advice from someone whose been there . Planning on tackling the task in hand tomorrow along with the knee pad so wish me luck . That should just leave me with the wiring loom to take out ! I think I will need mucho cups of tea to calm me down as I have read it can be a right PITA.
Thanks Henry
MonkeyChap
I luv DDK!

Post by MonkeyChap »

I think Southbound sell the proper vinyl by the roll (maybe check with them first before attacking it). Heat guns are a bit aggressive when all you want to do is warm it up, so be careful not to hold it too close or on for too long.
Ian
'84 Carrera
'71 2.2S (long gone)
'65 Spitfire
'06 RS4 Avant
puddy1
DDK Newbie

Post by puddy1 »

Thanks Ian I took your advice , it came off much better than I thought , good enough for another 34 years I reckon.
I do have another question however if some one could help , whilst removing all the dials and clocks I notice that one appeared to have a bulb holder not in use and nothing in there , is this a spare , for a feature my car may not have ?