RHD Olive T in Scotland

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Re: RHD Olive T in Scotland

Post by 955sp »

Bootsy wrote:I'm intrigued what green this is then if it's not Olive? This is the red bumpered car pictured in the pits at Classic Le Mans

In this image it does look much closer to a correct Olive green but I am still confident it is not. The reason is that if it was it should be much more brown in that setting due to the light filter caused by the canopy above.
In my opinion when that car comes out into natural light it is more bright as in the other pics and more of what a everyone would determine to be a modern olive green colour which is a bit brighter with more yellow than that of the actual colour which (sadly in my opinion) has more brown in it.

Anyway I have not seen this car in the flesh and the camera might just rubbish so I should reserve judgement but I know what this colour looks like on a bright and sunny day in natural light and it aint that!
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Really? You surprise me.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

955sp wrote:
Bootsy wrote:I'm intrigued what green this is then if it's not Olive? This is the red bumpered car pictured in the pits at Classic Le Mans

In this image it does look much closer to a correct Olive green but I am still confident it is not. The reason is that if it was it should be much more brown in that setting due to the light filter caused by the canopy above.
In my opinion when that car comes out into natural light it is more bright as in the other pics and more of what a everyone would determine to be a modern olive green colour which is a bit brighter with more yellow than that of the actual colour which (sadly in my opinion) has more brown in it.

Anyway I have not seen this car in the flesh and the camera might just rubbish so I should reserve judgement but I know what this colour looks like on a bright and sunny day in natural light and it aint that!
Sorry, you're wrong. That is olive.
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

955sp wrote: Anyway I have not seen this car in the flesh and the camera might just rubbish so I should reserve judgement but I know what this colour looks like on a bright and sunny day in natural light and it aint that!
I took the picture on a cheap Sony camera in 2006. I love that car and have watched it race and seen many pictures of it and am always surprised at how in some lights (and pics) it looks brown and in others bright green.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

ccccccccccccccc
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

I agree that the shell with no wheels on the display stand definately looks odd colour wise (reminds me more of golden green), I've never seen an olive car look like that although saying that it has been shot under a load of artificial light in an exhibition hall. The car with the red bumper however is definately original olive colour as is Mr Pharmacists car.

The impact bumper car you have posted looks nothing like olive nor does it look anything like the colour on the shell with no wheels so a comparison seems barmy (being that you are a designer and all)

Also worth mentioning that the colour you are referencing on your actual car, if original will now be 45 years old and has more than likely faded somewhat and lost a lot of its original depth. I would try and see a real olive car in the flesh before you make your mind up (stuart where abouts in the country does your car reside these days?), in my mind it is one of the best period colours from that era.

(typed from my desk in the design studio where I work ;)
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

The later impact bumper olive is actually much browner than the early version.

Just as a comparison to my first browny looking pic here is the same car, same camera on a rainy day with 2 views:

Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:albino: :albino: :albino: :albino: :albino: :albino:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alastairp
DDK above all

Post by alastairp »

955sp wrote:There is a ray of hope for all the Olive lovers out there looking to save this rare icon.... should the quote for the restore be too much then the car will be up for sale and you can put your money where your colour chart is and make an offer.
Tried (unsuccessfully) to view before the listing ended last weekend but would be very interested if you decide to sell.

Alastair
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

I gathered just about every image I could find on the web and posted it above and they are all pretty much the same colour but with change in different lights. As I said before the race car could well be Olive Green but the first photos of it do not really represent Olive Green fairly.

My point in the end is that the colour is actually an average of all the photos above which if you look closely includes Mr Pharmacists car which I agree is the right colour! I am just trying to get my point across that there is no point in looking at those under strange light because that ain't what I am gonna get in reality unless we play with the mix or I only look at my car under florescent light in a garage

I guess the colour on the 45 year old car held up well considering I am saying it looks like Mr Pharmachists car and every other above except the two on the stand and the early shot of the race car.

Post subject: Re: RHD Olive T in Scotland Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 p
Excellent, sounds like you have a really good idea of what genuine factory Porsche olive truly looks like, now you just have to paint your car that colour and you should have a really nice looking car. :)

Only kidding, paint it whatever colour you want (its your car after all) and as somebody has already stated it can be changed back in the future if so desired. Personally I would keep it olive (because I think its a great colour), probably tune the engine a little and maybe swap to a manual box if it was my car, but I would try and make sure everything was reversible just incase I (or a future owner) changed my/their mind down the line.

Best of luck making your decision.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Reza
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Reza »

Everything will be reversible, at a price. So if you are going to consume the enjoyment from this car, do whatever you want. If you painted it pink and put a hot rod motor in it, a new owner say 9 years from now, could reverse everything, if you stored the original motor.

Key here is, restore it, mod it, but don't make it an 80s 911. Those can be bought separately.

I have a survivor car in its stonechipped paint. Then i have a restored rust bucket that looks shinier, originally tangerine, bought as a burgundy repaint, but I got repainted in a 1950s VW camper color. They are two different cars and two different existentialist organisms. Ha.