RHD Olive T in Scotland

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: RHD Olive T in Scotland

Post by left4dead »

Thanks Mike. I'm awaiting details on chassis # as owner is abroad for a few days. Maybe it will be one of your eleven or it could possibly be number twelve. Will let you know in due course.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Ferry Man wrote:
Ferry Man wrote:Any early 911 in RHD is a rare thing....
Actually Paul that's a fascinating point you've raised there. Food for thought.
I wonder just how many UK delivered, RHD 1965-73 cars are still on the road?
All of 'em. T's, E's, S's, etc. How many extant?

Paul

There were 1700 Rhd 911's imported to the UK between 1965 and 1973 MY's which I think is a figure including the RS Carreras in 73. How many survive I don't know but DDK is in the unique position to compile that list if it so wishes. I think many people including me have 'bits and pieces' of the total picture and there are the various registries of certain models but no one has pulled it altogether in one database.

Tom

The most common model of all those imported between 65-73 was the 2.4E coupe at 248 cars.

Mike/Steve

There were 46 Rhd 73MY S targas imported and I have the figure of 11 survivors in my head from a list I made a few years ago (which I can't find at the moment). The only one I added in the last two years was the olive S which Karmann Konnection sold to Australia. That was a car someone here should have bought. £29k from memory and unique interior and exterior combination. It will be interesting to hear of another survivor.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Edomatic
DDK addict

Post by Edomatic »

I see that this 911 sold for 15,395 pounds...

Suppose the RHD and the olive colour adds value. but would have thought the sportomatic would have detracted. Good luck to whoever bought it and hopefully shows up on DDK as a resto thread!
Regards, Eddie

1969 912 Coupe LHD (potential hot rod!)
1978 Mercedes 280 CE RHD
1986 Renault Alpine V6 GTA Turbo
1987 Renault Alpine V6 GTA Turbo
1998 911(996) Carrera 2 manual
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

72911E wrote:In the current market (madness)..... will it go to £15k?
Words of the wise! :wink:
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi Mike, if it helps I should catalogue all the numbers we have for RHD cars. At the moment in the workshop we have (all of these are RHD) 68S, 71S x 2, 71E, 72 E x 2, 72 S, 72 T, 73 S.

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf: :bigsmurf:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Olive is one of the most tasteful colours.

A RHD Olive Sporto is a rare beast but rarity doesn't necessarily work as a multiplier to value.

Without knowing what needs to be done mechanically but assuming plenty I'm guessing you're looking at £40k plus to have a car like this done properly. Plus a few unexpected bits along the way I suppose it will stand you at £60k ish. I'm just guesstimating wildly.

Would a rhd Sporto T fetch £60k? Who knows where the market will be but it's marginal and although rare and quirky it will appeal to a certain / discerning buyer.

As for how a non standard build will decrease the value who knows! Depends what you do, how you do it etc etc but if you want the gap between outlay and value to be at a minimum thea standard spec rebuild would be the way to go.

Personally I'd go with you gut and just do what you want. If you're not looking to sell then build it for yourself, to enjoy.

Whatever you do enjoy the experience, ask lots of questions and get involved.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

You will find there are two distinct groups in DDK. The ones who say 'do what you want it's your car' and the more sensible approach which is to preserve as much originality as possible.

When I looked at this car on eBay it was in the knowledge that it was rare.
RHD
Sporto
Olive

It is only my opinion but it would be a shame to lose this forever to a fully restored tangerine, manual, 3.2 engined track/weekend car. How are we to preserve the wonderful diversity of the early 911 for the future if we don't keep to the original spec. If you butcher/customize this car then I doubt there will be another T sporto olive UK RHD example to save in the future.

We always say on DDK we like these cars because the modern day equivalents look boring in the showroom and wouldn't it be nice if the display showed a little imagination in colour instead of the greys, blacks, blues and silvers of today. I think a modern 911 or cayman or boxster in olive would look stunning.

If you are worried about the effect of value on the way you restore this car then you ARE concerned about money and not the preservation of something which represents a unique tiny little piece of Porsche RHD history and unlike LHD cars we are thinner on the ground with unusual example like yours in RHD.

I urge you to preserve, for history and not just for yourself, for the long term and future generations the diversity that is the early Porsche 911 and restore this car to original. I leave you with one simple question, if you did not want a T RHD olive sportomatic then why did you buy it?

All just IMHO.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'd hazard a guess you didn't buy it because it was Olive given your previous comment about tasteful colours though

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
955sp
DDK Fanatic

Post by 955sp »

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by 955sp on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

955sp wrote:
Should the buying public wish to hotrod these cars this is only because the lack of demand as an original means the price is low enough to do this.
[/quote]

I'd disagree with this point

Granted an Olive Green Sporto T may not appeal to all but spend a bit of time in the Classic Porsche world and you'll discover these period colours have a passionate following.

Always going to be more demand for a stock restored car than a hot rod or at least easier to sell a stock one. In the current climate we've never seen demand for interesting stock models so high and I'd hardly describe the prices of big Resto projects low - go back just a few years and yes they were low. Prices of Resto projects are now the same as a decent road going car only a few years ago.

However you asked the question about the hit you'll be taking between investment and value and I'd still say that the gap will be smaller if you built it to factory spec

However given the task and spend you have ahead you've got to do what you want to do.

Midlifecrisis
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Midlifecrisis »

I may be alone but the two things that drew me to the auction was the fact it was RHD and that it was Olive. It is your car to do what you want, but Olive is a very cool colour IMHO.
Last edited by Midlifecrisis on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jos

1970 911T LHD (Gone)
1974 Peugeot 304S RHD
1962 356B Notch
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

What's not to like, it's the best colour in this line up.....

And another great shot,

Early 911 colours are some of the most beautiful indicators of the period and luckily some of us were there at the time when they were new on the road so your project stirs up so many great memories for me. If you can imagine trundling along as a young boy in your family Vauxhall Viva and suddenly a new Porsche 911 in a funky colour zips past out of nowhere then that image stays with you for all time.

Speak to Mr. Pharmacist or Alfacat (seriously) and see if they have any regrets about colour.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
kitesurfer2
DDK forever

Post by kitesurfer2 »

I would urge you to keep it olive and as standard as possible.
Both times I have ever changed from the original colour in the past, I have always regretted it and would never do again.
Olive is a really cool colour.