Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Post by sladey »

Bootsy wrote:
I had a Grifter (after a Budgie and then a Striker)
Aren't these all grooming pseudonyms?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Sam

Post by Sam »

Just for clarity for those who don't ride bicycles - leg shaving is actually practiced by only the hardest and fastest of all cyclists. It's not all tarty like Johnny makes out, the point of it is to make your injuries heal quicker. Injuries you will definitely get because of your awesome limit-pushing radness.

I don't shave my legs because I'm not brave or fast. I mainly just do skids, wheelies and endos on this :

964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Sam

Post by Sam »

neilbardsley wrote:4.166kg for the entire bike and it looks ridable.

Not with that absurd bar angle it don't.

Nor with the saddle pointing to the moon.

And weight saving is great, but leaving off the valves is definitely going to cause tyre inflation issues.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Sam wrote:Just for clarity for those who don't ride bicycles - leg shaving is actually practiced by only the hardest and fastest of all cyclists. It's not all tarty like Johnny makes out, the point of it is to make your injuries heal quicker. Injuries you will definitely get because of your awesome limit-pushing radness.

And you get a better Tan....

( but feels strange when you put jeans back on )

But seriously.....nice Bike Thread you have started Johnny 8)

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Sam wrote:....the point of it is to make your injuries heal quicker.....
Doesn't make the injury heal, just reduces the discomfort of peeling off partly dried out gauze bandages off road rash sores.
If you've not experienced road rash - a weeping area of ground off skin that lasts for days - then there is something missing from your cycling exploits!
Shaving the legs is Velominati Rule 33, part of which states "Under no circumstances should the merits of leg shaving be discussed with non-cyclists." :lol:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
mycar

Post by mycar »

jury wrote:
If indeed you can get them back on. :iconbiggrin:

Just you you go careful you cyclists, or you won't fit in your cars.

Mike.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

jury wrote:
Sam wrote:Just for clarity for those who don't ride bicycles - leg shaving is actually practiced by only the hardest and fastest of all cyclists. It's not all tarty like Johnny makes out, the point of it is to make your injuries heal quicker. Injuries you will definitely get because of your awesome limit-pushing radness.

And you get a better Tan....

But seriously.....nice Bike Thread you have started Johnny 8)

I haven't shaved my legs for a race for years! It makes massages less painful and more important it's like Arthur Dent carrying a towel!

Chris
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

mycar wrote: Image
From your private collection Mike? :lol:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
mycar

Post by mycar »

:) I do like a lady with a well turned ankle.

Mike.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Burma-Shave

"We need an all in one DDK bike thread!
I race 3rd cat, managed 32 points last year. Currently building up an ebay Storck Fenomalist frameset. This year's objective is making 2nd cat and I'd love to try for Scottish Vets RR champion. Most likely neither will happen..being over 40 doesnt seem to slow anyone down!
Planning to do a few TTs this year too, if I am allowed."

Storck frames are top of the tree! The quality of carbon and process is very good. If I ever sold the 912 I think it would just about buy one :)

On the subject of TTs a couple of years back when I trying to get fit again I did a couple of rides with a mate, who wasn't that keen to train with me. His easy pace was my above threshold pace because he was a 18:50 10 mile TTer! I think he got his watts at threshold / kg up to about 5.6! Which enabled him to drop Big Maggie in a RR and podium at the national 25TT. Although he did have some forum and raced World U23 against Thor!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

The opening races of the spring classics are this w/e. Back to back racing is the way they like to do it in Belgium. Being more of a runner at heart it always amazes me how much club/pro cyclists race compared to runners. For a runner racing too often is how to get injured and ill while for a cyclist it must be done to get the sponsor's jersey in front of the tv cameras (probably the reason for 70% of the 1st week attacks in the TdF).

It's a bit too early for the big boys to peak yet. However, sometimes the riders like to test themselves and sometimes I think the riders try to hide their forum. However, if your name if Fabian it doesn't matter how much you pretend to be unfit. Nobody will believe you and everybody will want your rear wheel.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-1 ... lad-kuurne

Watch out for http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/zdenek-stybar. Good engine and good bike skills 3rd in P-R last year. Has already showed his year forum with another world CX title against Sven Nys. Good team and Tom to learn from.

johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

I said it was pink.

Bit retro I know. The frame was hand built by Terry Dolan in about 1984 ish. I was fit back then.

Might get back on it this summer.
Last edited by johnM on Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Sam

Post by Sam »

That's very cool indeed.

You'll need to be fit to get up the fells with that gearing.
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Sam wrote:That's very cool indeed.

You'll need to be fit to get up the fells with that gearing.
School boy block, we had to race on them 15 to 21 so up wrynose pass on a 42 / 21. Rock and roll.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Sam

Post by Sam »

I took a fixed gear bike to the Wife's old family house between Ambleside and Troutbeck last year. It's 52 / 19 so about 72 inches. I was absolutely done for after 50 miles. I unclipped and put my feet on the crossbar for the last descent down the Kirkstone Pass. The final mile back to the house up Holbeck Lane was done at less than walking pace with the handlebars creaking.

I'm taking a road bike with a compact chainset this year.