Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Off topic cycling chat for the cyclisti out there..

Post by neilbardsley »

Well maybe but I think most of the pro riders are pretty good bike handlers by the time they get to the tour.

I think it's many things. Organisers not always thinking about the pinch points in courses. All the riders wanting the same front position and surprise it doesn't happen more frequently.

Can anyone explain Cabel crash to me? He seem to lift his front wheel and move it. Very strange

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Sam

Post by Sam »

Whilst I am a big, big fan of the mullet in general I’m not sure what Mitch is going on about here. Experience makes you a better rider? No shite.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

https://youtu.be/LoIBUacInOM

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I started riding with a club when I was 10 years old, doing 60 and 70 mile rides with a group from age 11. The older guys in the club taught you how to ride on a wheel, through and off, position correctly for wind direction, and ride in an echelon. As far as I'm aware there's no app on swift or peloton to replicate this. Just because someone is strong and can ride fast, it doesn't mean that they know how to ride !

The biggest bunch I rode in was when I raced for the GB team in Germany in a World's selection race when I was 18, there were 179 riders, including the Iron Bloc, Poles, Russians, Czechs, East Germans, as well as the French, Belgians , Dutch etc including Jacques Hanegraff who went on to lead the Tour de France a few years later. It was more like a 37 MPH scrap on a bike, absolutely fantastic and you had to be able to find your way around the wheels or you were finished no matter how fit you were. Mark Bell, who went onto win the British Pro Champs and also beat Gregg Lemond in the "Apple Lap" in New York won it for our team. We all knew how to ride and where to place ourselves when it mattered . You imagine because you can do it everybody can - but they can't !

The last Sportive I rode had three ambulances in attendance scraping people off the road, some awful riding by people who were obviously fit, but had no idea how to ride. I haven't ridden a sportive since and won't ride another one again. Far more dangerous than riding in a 179 rider bunch, who all wanted to win, but all knew what they were doing.
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Just read that in 2008 Cav beat Zabel to the line
Zabel’s son was 14th across the line yesterday
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Stunning morning in London for a pre breakfast ride:

James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Except if someone takes you down when they are running for a busImage

Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

So true SNG45. My early days was with the West Kent Road Club. We used to meet at Mottingham station at 8 on Sunday then there would be 50 or so blockheads thundering down the A20 and the first sort out would be Death hill up to Brands Hatch. Also a load of us would be on fixed so you really learnt quickly bunch riding etiquette. The standard of riding today is so pathetically dangerous I have given up Sunday rides with my club. Every time some twat would ride into a kerb or bang wheels and I just got so frustrated trying to give instruction to these meatheads I've said no more, I'm solo from now on.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

It's taken me about 4 days to remember the rhythm of cycling in London again. Today I was following a cyclist riding only in their hardest gear. Struggling to pedal away from stops. Then in 2 mins they almost got hit 3 times. In situations I could see a mile away that where trouble.

Since my 2 years away the biggest difference is the number of e bikes in the road. Some of them moving very quickly.

Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

OMG what have we done? My son, Pat and I have entered the London Brighton Veteran Car Run on bikes! Me on my 1899 Rudge No 27 Road Racer, and him on a friend's C 1885 Singer 52" Ordinary.... Neither of us have been very far on either bike, but training started today! ImageImage

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Sam

Post by Sam »

Fixed gear up and down ditchling beacon will be great fun.

At least being chased by a scary skellington should give some motivation.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

That's the owner, he's doing it on an even bigger one, so he'll be even more scared. I'm just debating the need for a brake...........
Winston
hot66

Post by hot66 »

a few years back when returning from Spa we met a few lads at the ferry who'd cycled on penny fathings through Holland or Belgium to an event .. they'd been having a right laugh on their whole trip
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Well, what a fantastic weekend, and we made it! The roadside support was great, the welcome and encouragement from the Lbvcr cars, the weather, wonderful, the bikes, bums and legs held up.... Image

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Winston
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Tremendous achievement - well done Winston (& son) !

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”