1970 UK RHD 911 2.2S - Diary

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

squirejo
DDK forever

1970 UK RHD 911 2.2S - Diary

Post by squirejo »

Having benefitted from all the information and knowledge that gets shared every day on DDK, I want to create an owners diary of the car I recently purchased from Drmark.

A reminder! 1970 UK supplied RHD 911 2.2S, matching numbers car. I am the 10th owner of RSR 763H and the Odometer shows 29,800miles.

The car was restored by Alan @ Canford Classics and completed 2 years ago, the details of which were logged here and elsewhere on tinterweb so will live on in perpetuity, but, should you wish to relive the craftsmanship that turned this:

To this:

You can do so here:
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 28&t=27582

For anyone contemplating a restoration, one of my favourite factoids about this car comes from the covering letter for the list of works completed on the bodyshell by Barry Carter:
“I invoiced 566 hours for the job although actually spent something in the order of 600-650 on it in total”………..

So how did I end up with a classic 911? Good question but it all started here:
a Californian import 2.4T LHD in dark metallic blue with beige interior and aftermarket seats which I bought from Formulae Fuchs in circa 1999. It’s still insured, according to ASKMID. Does anyone here own it?

I enjoyed it for around 18mths during which period it leaked and steamed up, and was parked on the streets of Balham, but, never failed to start or entertain. The reg tallies with the fact it had a Tuthills engine & gearbox rebuild. I sold it to a friend for more than I paid, circa 10k (common theme even then!)

There have been a few other flirtations with Porsche since, including the family oil-burner, and these:

and this which I currently own and love

“Modern” 911s had never really done it for me – the 996 GT3 doesn’t count as it’s a race car with number plates not a road car, but principally because they were the default choice of many colleagues with more money than imagination or knowledge.

Dan’s multi-year journey with bastardisation of Ian’s ‘T’ into RSR evocation (someone on here should buy it, immediately. If you want quality, look no further than Tuthills, as one could imagine given their rally cars. I did their ice driving earlier this year – the cars were epic) reignited my interest and although a project or restoration doesn’t frighten me, I just don’t have the time necessary to devote to it, even as project manager / email warrior.

So back to the:

The car has some really interesting history which I will keep brief but included a stint on Top Gear whilst it was in a red phase (Silver was the original colour)

I am sure Mark won’t mind me saying that he has lavished enormous care and attention on the car since taking delivery just over 2 years ago.
A few examples:
A Quaife LSD has been fitted
Center Gravity have geo’d the car
Vibration Free went over the car with a fine toothcomb and – well – made it vibrate less.

So what now? Firstly, whilst I hope, am sure the car will rise in value, the emotional returns on investment will be more important. After all it’s about the journey, right? There will be weekend blasts, drives round the Cotswolds, weekends without the kids, European road trips and the like. Hopefully some meet ups with DDK members too. It might even see a race track for a leg stretch.

So what does a bloke with jetlag and a son that wakes him up at 05:45 on a dry Saturday morning do? Go for a blast around London and wake a few people up with the immense exhaust sound and firecracker pops and bangs on the overrun, of course:
Waking the dead:

No other lights on:

Apart from Christmas lights:

Somewhere posh:

Not available with PDK

Drop that chamois on the floor and I’ll kill you, son

And to end the drive, refuelling

(Note to others – Do NOT pull right outside the Buckingham Palace gates with a son toting a plastic machine gun. It wakes up the sleepy armed Policemen)

Thanks for reading. More will follow as and when conditions allow!
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
Jaguar F-Pace S 3.0 supercharged.
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Re: 1970 UK RHD 911 2.2S - Diary

Post by squirejo »

Will this weather ever stop?

When I headed out on New year's day I thought that we, and the Brooklands staff were getting a welcome reprieve as I punctuated the cold air and emptiness of the A3 with the raucous noise of a 2.2S at full chat. Spoke too soon - starting the year as you mean to go on - with plenty of car related adventures, ended in a soggy day out for all concerned!

I did however learn 3 things about RSR:
1) the windscreen wipers work very well
2) the car didn't break down in monsoon conditions
3) a carcoon and dehumidifier combo is unbeatable for drying off afterwards.

My and other owners pics of the day on this thread. Now, must plan a drive to Monaco in the summer.....

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... brooklands
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Been quiet here. But no longer! First things first a service. Oil change, brake fluid change, get the original steering wheel on, 4 new tyres. And let me know anything else you spot, Alan.

Captain of the Porsche Pedants Association, the list was:

Adjust Fuel Filler Flap Panel Gap
Fit New Foot Board Washers
Tighten Trip Switch Mounting
Supply and Fit New Handbrake Boot
Adjust Rear Over Rider and Engine Lid Fitment Re-Lubricate all Latches, Catches and Check Straps
Re-Fit Clutch Cable in Gearbox Cable Guide Tube
Fit Oil Line Grommet in Engine Bay
Replace Rusty Interior Cup Washers
Replace Seat Frame Mounting Spreaders
Re-Fit O/S Wing - Scuttle Seal
Straighten Kink in Oil Cooler Line

I don't even know what some of this stuff is, but I do know the car looks and sounds lovely.

Goodwood tomorrow, photos to follow....
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
Reza
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Reza »

Nice posts
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Thank you.

Tucked up with buddies at Canford classics

1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Nice pair

1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Not really the headline grabber in a car park- but I rather like Image

What a FANTASTIC weekend at the GRRC 72nd members meeting. a glorious drive there and back on the sweeping A roads including some great overtaking. Change gear, wait for 5,300 rpm and CHARGE!!! (followed by flashing of lights from the Micra, overtaking, a dying art?)

Lovely:

The only 991 I have wanted. Fantastic colour and equally appealing interior, seats with Houndstooth inserts..

What a privilege to have this car. Stirs the soul.

I might take it to meet it's other maker (Barry) this Friday at the metalbashing workshop.
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Another week, another adventure, this time to Barry Carter whose talent was responsible for the bodywork restoration of my car. An excellent day welding, bashing, shaping and wheeling.

And then breaking down. Very strange, turned key and....nothing. Soon sorted, never happened before and hasn't happened in the 4 or 5 stops/ starts since. A dodgy solenoid?

1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

squirejo wrote:
And then breaking down. Very strange, turned key and....nothing. Soon sorted, never happened before and hasn't happened in the 4 or 5 stops/ starts since. A dodgy solenoid?
When u turned the key, could u hear the whine from the CDI box? Could u hear the fuel pump?
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

72911E wrote:
squirejo wrote:
When u turned the key, could u hear the whine from the CDI box? Could u hear the fuel pump?
Yep, everything as normal, power, fuel pump, relays clicking, just no starter motor. So in the end we bump started it since when it has been fine. Perhaps the starter thingy that shoots out was stuck.
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

It did sound like a sticky solenoid, but before you go down that route check the gearbox earth strap is making a good electrical contact to the chassis.
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

I had this a couple of times before my starter finally died. Initially when it got hot, first in Channel tunnel queue en route to Spa (fun bump starting in the train, but parked on slopes everywhere else) but once home it was then fine until a summer Snetterton trackday. Swapped to a good used starter and all fine since for a couple of years...
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Sunshine, the Cotswolds and a meet with 2 other DDKers. A great drive, wonderful roads and driving

There's something so satisfying about such a machine threading along fluid fast A roads.

The 3 Amigos. The on- road performance difference is difficult to see. I can certainly say a 2.4E goes with aplomb.

And then there was one.

Unfortunately the erratic non-starting ghost reappeared so the car will be putting in an appearance at Dick Lovett Swindon next week. I hope they have a mechanic who knows oily bits and not just computers! I am certain it's just a sticky solenoid, but like haemorrhoids, it's irritating.
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

What's going on here?

1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Loan car from Alan wlhilst your car is being serviced ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”