BMW R90S - The Airhead

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: BMW R90S - The Airhead

Post by Nick Moss »

I rode my first BMW in 1977, a 100/7 belonging to Richard Armstrong, whom some of you guys know. I had a Yamaha XS750 triple at the time, which I thought was a pretty good sports tourer, it certainly made a wonderful noise. I was blown away by the handling and composure of the 100/7 and went into my local BMW dealer, Ongar Motorcycles, and traded in my Yamaha for a new R100S the next day. The dealer had just got back from a dealer/factory rideaway and there was a gleaming R100RS Motorsport sitting outside after I completed the paperwork. I asked for a test ride, knowing there was no way I was going for the RS version, the dealer warned me not to try it, as I would want one. Needless to say the Motorsport was in my garage at the end of the day.

That was the first of 2 R100RSs before I took an R100 to the USA in 1981 to ride to Alaska, then down to Ushaia in Tierra del Fuego, then up to Rio, leaving Argentina the day before the Falklands war broke out. It was a standard road bike, chosen over the R80G/S which had just been released, which may well have been a better bike for many of the gravel roads that we experienced, but even on road tyres the R100 was great to ride in all conditions except mud, loads of which we came across in the Yukon.

When I came back from the USA I joined Ongar Motorcyles in the workshops, later becoming the service manager. I got into modifying BMWs, building a Krauser, a Magni, then a couple of turbo powered R100RSs. I got to ride an awful lot of bikes and loved the R80 and R80RT when they were released. The K100 seemed a great bike when it was released, but was subject to monotonous reliability failures in the first couple of years. I bought one as I was addicted to the extra speed and power, but it never had the character of the twins. I had brief flings with Laverda Jotas and Mirages, 2 days with the most unreliable bike I ever had, a 1977 Bonneville, a wonderful Honda CB1100R, a 1972 Shovelhead Harley then took a rest for 10 years while I lived abroad.

I came back to the UK for a long week end and rented a R1100RS, which I thought was awful with disastrous aerodynamics, and read about the new R1100S and bought one of them instead. I was still living in Tenerife at the time and rode to Le Mans on it in 1999, averaging 99.9 mph over an hour in Spain on non-motorways. When Icame back to the UK I bought an Aprillia RSVR1000 which was way too fast for me, and traded it in for a new R1150GS which I still own 13 years later.

I like BMWs!

Behind me is my mate Colin, who has had that R90/6 since new!
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Have answered my own question

Only trouble is these guys are in Cali
... That famous location for "rust free" cars

MAJORLY LIKING BOTH:

Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

squirdan wrote:Have answered my own question
Good. Because some of that was starting to get above my pay grade. That KTM looks insane, were you convinced by the bike? the craftsmanship? or the sales rep giving that demo ride? :wink:

I've seen Kevils at shows but not priced them, but like anything bespoke.. they'll spend as much of your money as you want. I reckon the sp is c£8-10k.

€35k is wrenchmonkees money, those crazy Danes.

How about the BMW powered Husqvarna Nuda 900R?
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

£35K. That's a lot of money for something that can be assembled in a day or so (once you've done all the design, fabrication and paint of course :wink: )
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Nick Moss wrote:Needless to say the Motorsport was in my garage at the end of the day.
That made me chuckle... but bet you never regretted it.

Great history Nick and those are quite some road trips with unforgettable experiences no doubt. I've got some catching up to do!

PS re €35k... yep.
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

That very same Motorsport is now owned by Malcolm White, who has joined us in the Chateau a couple of times.

And at the other end of the spectrum

07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Nick Moss wrote: Image
Nice shell suit….…Sergio Tacchini or Fila? :P
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Nick Moss wrote:That very same Motorsport is now owned by Malcolm White, who has joined us in the Chateau a couple of times.

And at the other end of the spectrum

Credibility Score: 1/10

>C
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ever wondered if you could build an "as new" classic from OEM parts?

The boys at MAX BMW in the States thought they could build a new R90S.....and then went ahead and ordered ALL 1,655 parts from BMW. Unbelievably, only 6 parts were unavailable.

It took them just 4 days to put it all together and start riding it.

The cost? An eye watering $46,000 excl labour :shock:

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/max_bmw_r90s_build/

The video is a bit slow but max kudos to them for doing it 8)