My latest Ferrari.

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

My latest Ferrari.

Post by Mike »

Well it's taken a while to bring myself to post this, but I hope you all take it in good spirit even if it's not the kind of car that appeals here.

First a little background. As the Martini car project was coming to an end and the decision was made to let it go to a new home, I began to look
around for it's replacement. Ideally I wanted another 911 but I have to say my taste is quite specific. In the first instance it had to be around the
72/73 age as that's when I learnt to drive and formed my love of sports cars, but of course as I started looking it was obvious that the market
had gone crazy and prices were stupidly high. Anyone with a old 911 though he was sitting on a goldmine, and as I was after something a little
more sport orientated than a 'T' or an 'E' I began to realise I might have to broaden my search and perhaps consider later cars as well.

I didn't want to do another rep and my budget meant that an 'S' was out of reach, although I have to say the 'S' while undoubtedly a great drivers
car, has never really cranked my tractor. I find early 911's a little slab sided design wise in the door area without the Carrera decal and rarity is
one of the things I like most in a car, and at 5000 odd made it's not exactly scarce.

A car I did try for at the time was Tim Clifford's ST rep with an idea of making a real top end hot rod out of it, it was the right year and had a great
shape with Steve Monk rear arches so was a good basis for a new project. Sadly at the time Tim was trying to put together a deal to sell it with an
engine that he was trying to get hold of, so as I just wanted it without as I had the perfect engine lined up the deal couldn't be done.
It sold without an engine in the end, but I was pleased for Tim.

So I started looking at the later Impact bumper 2.7 Carrera, a fantastic car with that wonderful 911/83 engine, I would push the budget but again
even the most expensive restored ones had 'stories' attached to them, and as for the basket cases people where living in cloud cuckoo land with
their expectations of what they were worth. I did spend a while negotiating for this one, but we were always 10K apart.

My final foray into a potential Porsche replacement was really off the wall, as I mentioned, rarity and low volume models really do get me going so
after briefly flirting with the idea of a early 930 I latched onto the Flatnose the 930SE, and started a hunt for one of those. I've never known a car
divide opinions so much, Neil Bainbridge said he'd refuse to have it in his workshop, and I have to say the owners are an odd bunch on the whole,
with the exception of you Vic of course!

I do love the shape, to me it's not all that symbolises the evil yuppy culture of the 80's but it's a tribute to one of the finest Porsche racing cars
ever the 935, well that's the way I looked at it anyway......and only 75 rhd made. They do tend to come in weird colour combinations, lobster red
interiors aren't every one's cup of tea and as most aren't used very much they have low miles and suffer broken head studs because of it.

I contacted the Porsche Club Register Secretary for help in finding one and to cut a long story short, he's been replaced now and I went right
off them! This was one I saw and passed on.

So I started to think I may have to look at other marque's, and I have to admit my first love was always Ferrari. As a young man as soon as I
started earning decent money I bought a 246GT and had many years of fun with it. After getting married and starting a family I needed extra
seats for the kids, and that's how I fell into Porsche ownership. Not for me the aircooled route up through the VW ranks I'm afraid, in my case
just those two little folding seats in the back started the 20 year affair with Porsche's.
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Lightweight_911

Re: My latest Ferrari.

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Glad you've finally started this thread - looking forward to the next installment ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Traitor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Vic is odd also.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mike

Post by Mike »

The problem was trying to identify a classic Ferrari that would be 'affordable', in Porsche terms something that sat midway between
top examples of an 'E' and an 'S'. I wanted a great design with flowing lines, but my love of low production numbers meant a rare car,
and that's normally expensive! Only 36 250 GTO's ever made, last one sold for £30 million......

It had to be early to middle 70's, so same era I came to cars as a kid but more importantly the time just before things went electronic.
I love the slider switches of the early cars, so classic Ferrari, and didn't want electronic fuel injection so that began to narrow it down.
246's at £250,000 now were obviously out of the question so I started looking at the next model. The 308 GT4 Bertone design never
appealed at all and anyway the kids are grown up now so I can go back to a 2 seater!

So it was as I looked at the early 308GTB, a shape I'd always loved, that I suddenly realised the first models were in fibreglass and there
were only 154 rhd versions, looks like I'd found what I was looking for. The story goes that not knowing how the new Pininfarina design
would go down as it was pretty extreme for it's day in 1975/6, they did a run in fibreglass to see how they would sell before tooling up
to do them in steel.

Mechanically those first 308's were really special as well, a 255hp dry sump V8 with four twin choke down draft webers, built as a
homologation special to get the new Ferrari V8 approved for racing. They were only fitted to the car for a year before they went wet
sump and electronic ignition.

So there it was, a one year only special lightweight Ferrari, the only Ferrari road car ever made with a fibreglass body and with a special
homologation engine, all I had to do now was find one!

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Good choice Mike, just stop dragging it out and never forget that DDK loves cars, even red italian stuff :-)
1970 911 3.6T
964RS

Post by 964RS »

If it's all plastic what happens when the AA van tries to hook it up for towing??
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

964RS wrote:If it's all plastic what happens when the AA van tries to hook it up for towing??
It's OK, if up river you can float it home using the original Ferrari paddles :wink:

Great to see this thread start Mike and I'm only jealous. :alien:

The car looks beautiful in the few pics you've posted so looking forward to seeing some more 8)
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

I have a treasured copy of Supercar Classics with Steve Cropley's F/glass 308 on the cover - a truly beautiful design.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

Like your thinking Mike. Lovely cars. Assuming you are following Harry Metcalfe's activities ??
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Mike wrote: The 308 GT4 Bertone design never appealed at all ...........
Before I got the 911 bug, I always hankered after a fibreglass 308, so best of luck with your search Mike I'm certainly intrigued to know how you get on?

Now I know the 308 GT4 is the unloved mongrel in the world of the 'beautiful people', but once upon a time SWB Porsches were treated with similar contempt. For me the 308 GT4 is probably closest in spirit to a 911 and from what I understand is one of the few early Ferraris that is maintainable, reliable and robust enough to be driven on a daily basis, so (girly looks aside) what is there to dislike?

PS - I almost forgot the Italian (only) 208 GT4 with that 'tiny' 2 litre V8....now that is one cool engine 8)

Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
Sam

Post by Sam »

mrg3.6 wrote:
Mike wrote: The 308 GT4 Bertone design never appealed at all ...........
Before I got the 911 bug, I always hankered after a fibreglass 308, so best of luck with your search Mike I'm certainly intrigued to know how you get on?

Now I know the 308 GT4 is the unloved mongrel in the world of the 'beautiful people', but once upon a time SWB Porsches were treated with similar contempt. For me the 308 GT4 is probably closest in spirit to a 911 and from what I understand is one of the few early Ferraris that is maintainable, reliable and robust enough to be driven on a daily basis, so (girly looks aside) what is there to dislike?
Correct.

The 308 GT4 is lovely. It's delicate and pure of form in a way no Ferrari since is. I think I probably like it because it doesn't look much like a Ferrari. It looks like a car rather than a chest wig.

I will have one one day. In metallic dark red with tan leather.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Nige

Post by Nige »

I've always had a soft spot for these, seems quite affordable, have no idea about running costs though:
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... gt4/948858
sladey

Post by sladey »

Also like the 308 gt4 - never used to but it's grown on me.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
mycar

Post by mycar »

Unlikely as it seems, I parked next to a red 308 GTS in our local Co-op car park last week. It wasn't very busy and the driver was nowhere to be seen so I had a five minute nosey. :)

I don't know anything much about Ferraris, I've seen them at shows of course and I had a feeling this was the one that Magnum drove but I was surprised how much I liked it. Whenever I have seen these cars, at Classic Silverstone for example, they're generally all lined up together in a long red wave, all much of a muchness... but on it's own, shoulder to bumper with Toyotas and Volvos it looked very beautiful... Svelte and yet the perfect proportion for a 2 seater sports car.

The tires looked quite big. :)

Just right for a car of this era though.

When I got home I looked on Pistonheads to see how much we were talking and told Hayley all about it. She didn't seem that bothered though.

Guess you just had to be there.

Enjoying the Story Mike, let's hear some more.

Regards, Mike.

Ps. Is the GTS a GTB with a targa top ?
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Some of the older ones are ugly, i like the 512 tr monkey Harris is running at the mo. 355's are nice lookers as well but still quite expensive
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card