cost of an interior...

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Disco
DDK rules my life!

cost of an interior...

Post by Disco »

guys - I'm thinking about having the interior done on my car. distressed leather look, standard seats etc.

does anyone have any experience around this - I'm thinking all the side panels, headliner, carpet etc, using my existing seats ( which are ok, but in blue.

things I'm interested in are:

rough costs for the job...
who's good, who's bad ( PM me if you would rather on this )
what kind of gremlins do I need to look out for?

thanks very much

Joe
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Re: cost of an interior...

Post by vwretrosteve »

Hi Joe,

I had the whole interior of my old yellow A re-trimmed by Chris Lyons of Trimming Tonic in Burnley Lancs - and threw it and a new headliner back in myself

Now, I live in the South East, not the North West - but the effort was more than worth it.
I supplied my knackered front seats, and virtually non existant rear seats - as well as the worlds worst door and rear qtr panels ( vinyl only - the card centres long since returned to dust)

Chris made bespoke door and qtr panels in the material and style I chose, with stock pockets etc. Bespoke rear panel and repaired the frames of my seats before bespoke covers, padding etc.
The results were much better than expected, and the price was too ! But obviously this is just for a interior fix not an interior fit.

Since then I have commissioned Chris to make the leather interior on my 55 beetle Cabrio, and a bespoke stock interior on my 59 low light ghia Kabrio .. All with excellent service and very competetive pricing. If the possibility of fitting the car up yourself is a consideration, the proccess can be very enjoyable .

Of course there are a myriad of trimmers out there, and location may be a factor -

They have a website so a google job should open the door ... At the very least it is an insight to what trimmers can offer.
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667
sjm
DDK rules my life!

Post by sjm »

Interesting - I'm hoping to do mine next year, so will try and remember this!
Simon Moore
1958 356A
1978 Aston Martin V8
1988 Jaguar XJS 3.6 manual
1959 Lambretta Li125
Adam
DDK addict

Post by Adam »

I've found interior trims to vary in price.

The most I've been quoted is £3500 for seats, carpets and door cards.

But that tonic place sounds decent, I saw his work at Volksworld show last year, very good.

There's a place in the midland called retro retrims, he has quoted some good prices too.
Need genuine Porsche parts?
Contact me for best prices
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

thanks chaps - especially Steve... just been on the website, there's some door cards in exactly the right leather for me!...

bit of a trot ( 500 miles ) mind you, but I'm sure I can sort something out... - anyone had any experience of seat 'covers'?

Joe
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Have you considered visualfx (Gary on here) that is doing some triming now? He is based South of London.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

neilbardsley wrote:Have you considered visualfx (Gary on here) that is doing some triming now? He is based South of London.

no, but I will now ! - thanks Neil.

Joe
slipslide
DDK slapper chatter

Post by slipslide »

I got quoted around £7000 (it was a ballpark price) for carpets, headliner, leather seat covers and panels fitted. No idea if this is cheap or not but the company is top draw, they do really nice work. It is to rich for me so i am thinking i may buy kits and get a local trimmer to fit them. Not sure yet but i think its the way i am heading, should be able to get it done at a good price that way.
1967 912
1967 beetle
1960 356B RHD
8ft 6 Phil Edwards
pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pauldvern »

I know it a while ago (2009), but I got my interior from Autobahn interiors in the states for $2600. I got leather seat covers, vinyl panels and proper square weave carpet. In addition I spent another couple of hundred on a headliner and seat cushions. I fitted it myself taking things slowly and carefully and inhaling a lot of spray glue! Doing it yourself will save you a packet.

Paul
1959 RHD 356A coupe
1956 RHD VW split bus
1969 911T project
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

And a very nice job indeed it turned out Paul.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
pauldvern
DDK slapper chatter

Post by pauldvern »

You are too kind Roy.
1959 RHD 356A coupe
1956 RHD VW split bus
1969 911T project
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Post by vwretrosteve »

The square weave carpets in my yellow A were from southbound, - I used the standard style throughout - except the actual floor mats which I made from extruded rubber matting very similar to a 73 RS lightweight flooring.
From memory, the carpets were around £650 - and I fitted them myself - after lining the car with some 'tar board a like' from the local auto refinishing supplier.

the only caveat is that to do the job properly you need a strong nerve, and a good eye when trimming, and ideally a carpet steaming device of some sort to soften the weave prior to fitting in the tight corners - kettle worked fine for me ...
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667