Under cover Resto

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

hashman
DDK forever

Re: Under cover Resto

Post by hashman »

Thanks Sladey and Roy. I'm quite sure it was 0.2mm Roy as the flywheel did require some persuassion with a rubber mallet onto the crank before I could tighten the gland nut. This was done in little steps also, not just all in one go. Passive aggressive .... :lol:

I cleaned off the old paint from the oil filter canister using my "compressor whizzer", as I like to call it , with the spin on abrasive discs. It took the paint off very easily but once through the paint I had to take care as they are meant for metal work grinding.
I realised fractionally too late as I took off part of a perimeter edge.
It's nothing tragic especially as it's on the underside of the canister but it is good to try and keep these little details.

Image20221029_160913 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20221029_164142 by karlhash, on Flickr

Etch primed
Image20221030_152009 by karlhash, on Flickr

Black top
Image20221030_153848 by karlhash, on Flickr

With a compressor full of air I started to clean the old exhaust with the whizzer and a soft disc.
Image20221030_155411 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

AHS Lutterworth might be able to have you with your head work. They build vee race engines. Ask for Alan

http://www.ahs-motorsport.co.uk/

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thanks Neil.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Rustytubs
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Rustytubs »

Hi Karl

The engine is looking great.

The guy you need regarding balancing is David Martin at Swaymar Engineering in Horsham, details here

http://www.swaymarmarine.co.uk/balancing.html

Cheers
Martin
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thanks Martin.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Slowly, slowly and bit by bit I have been chipping away at my con rods.
Trying to get them balanced end to end with consistent readings has been quite a challenge.
Today I think I'm done.
All rods weighing within 0.4 grams of each other and the big ends within 0.2 grams.
That's close enough for me.
I tried to take material away from areas on the rods that were the least critical for strength so the corners and edges got bevelled.
I was surprised by the amount of material that needed to be removed just for 1 gram. More than I initially thought.

Image20221202_190331 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20221202_190356 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20221202_190500 by karlhash, on Flickr

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

If you need a recommendation for dynamic balancing of engine components, I have used Trevor Wilkinson at Andrews Precision, Wildmoor, Bromsgrove. He is a balancing guru, a proper scientist on the subject. Very likeable, not expensive, with good turnaround times, and not too far from you. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Long over due update....
Thanks for the recommendation Winston.
Ive got my heads and rotating parts back from Fiennes Performance.
After talking to Angus and hearing that Gary had used them, I went to these guys who were a delight.
Of course it wasn't all plain sailing, my new valve guides needed to be a larger oversize so they needed to be
returned to John Willhoit in the States who was also very good to deal with and he sent some larger sized guides before he received the returned ones.
So now the heads have new valve guides and new cut valve seats

Image20230226_144550 by karlhash, on Flickr

Ive put the new cam on the old cam gear

Image20230218_161012 by karlhash, on Flickr

I measured the compression of the springs, I think in newtons but not sure. Either way I found the weakest to the strongest large springs and the same for the small springs.
I should mention they are dual springs to make things clear. I put the strongest large spring with the weakest small spring and matched the rest accordingly as I couldn't afford
to buy more to get a perfect match.

Image20230219_165531 by karlhash, on Flickr

Managed to find a couple of weak non car springs to be able to measure the spring heights and work out the shims needed

Image20230220_202348 by karlhash, on Flickr

Once I had every thing measured and sorted and then set to installing the new valve springs........but
the valve spring compressor I had purched and used to remove the old springs was proving useless. Once compressed it
would not hold a straight line along the axis of the valve stem, or in other words the spring went on the wonk. So I
was watching the little timelapse PRS video of their engine build and spotted their builders compression tool, and bought one of those made by Facom......
What a difference.....

Image20230301_170813 by karlhash, on Flickr

I was able to fit the valve collets without F-ing and Blinding

Image20230301_170801 by karlhash, on Flickr

So the next job is to measure the combustion chambers and see if they need equalling
Image20230303_164320 by karlhash, on Flickr

and here's a shot of the the balanced rotating masses

Image20230303_164332 by karlhash, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Karl looks like you are doing a great job. And that compression tool really looks professional.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Looks awesome Karl, good to hear Finnes (or Rob Walker as they were) worked out for you.

And yes major tool envy with that spring compressor!
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Thanks Roy and Gary.
I have measured the volume of the combustion chambers now. Stamped on the heads were the numbers 60.5.
This measurement proved true on one cylinder head but the other measured 61ml, so I had to take some
material away from the smaller sized head.

Image20230310_183730 by karlhash, on Flickr

I picked up some Dremel style sanding wheels from Lidl and set to removing material away from around the valves.
I also removed a little lip left from the old barrels being squashed into the soft aluminium head for so long.
I did this very carefully by hand.

Image20230312_161521 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20230312_161532 by karlhash, on Flickr

Image20230312_162514 by karlhash, on Flickr

Now they are all 61cc I can move on to calculating compression ratio and copper gasket size.
I will also be looking at bearing tolerances.

Thanks
Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Very good work! I think I've seen about 61 on a few heads so you are in good company. Probably about 9:1 compression ratio making a wild guess!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Not bad Neil,
using the summit racing compression calculator, if I use a 0.5mm copper base gasket
I should get 9.3:1 which I would be happy with.
I do believe I should be ok with our fuel and that compression ratio.
It's just the States side guys that have to play safe with their bad octane rated fuel.

Karl
Keep the Outlaw Faith
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Karl,

That engine work you are doing is looking really good, I was surprised when I looked at page one of your thread you started all this work on the 356 10 years ago. I could see I was following your progress right back to the start! Its amazing just how fast those 10 years have gone or is it just me ? Great that you have stuck to it and its coming along just fine!

Roy
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Karl,

That engine work you are doing is looking really good, I was surprised when I looked at page one of your thread you started all this work on the 356 10 years ago. I could see I was following your progress right back to the start! Its amazing just how fast those 10 years have gone or is it just me ? Great that you have stuck to it and its coming along just fine!

Roy