Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Bez1
DDK addict

Re: Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all.

Techno Klassika Essen was again worth the trip. Some nice stuff about, but prices are out of control. 120.000 € for an early 911.....

Turbo was lovely.

Mr Tag's 935 inspired 911. Bit OTT for me...

White 911 was lovely

So suitably inspired: Door lock is sorted.

To avoid weld distortion during the joining of the wheel arch, copper has been in action again.

Also blown with an airline immeaditaley after to cool things down. PLeased with the results.

Other side awaits.....

Cheers

Matt
Midlifecrisis
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Midlifecrisis »

Love this thread Matt, you are a true craftsman.
Jos

1970 911T LHD (Gone)
1974 Peugeot 304S RHD
1962 356B Notch
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all.

Been at the sheet metal once again and have been struggling with the passenger door post........

Where we started

All the rot has been cut away and replaced. Darn nightmare!!!!!!

Got real frustrated with the endless welding and sanding followed by weld blow holes :evil:

Pedal board driver side is in.

Decided to mock up the engine cooling metal and shroud before paint I want to check the general fit. Made a nice change to get the socket set out and assemble stuff. :wink:

Is great to be able to check clearances before final assembly. The Weber Carbs are know to foul in this area for example, so I am able to sort this out now in advance. Will be updating the Carbs with a modified jet cover to further aid clearance.

Rear seats have also been apart as the brackets and wood have deteriorated

Will be back on with a final push with the door post once my (welding) motivation has returned........

Danke

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Good evening everyone, it has been a long time since my last update.

Both sills are mounted and the rear floor section has been loosly installed for checking.

Taken the opportunity to mount the fuel and brake line front to rear. Much easier at this point with half the floor missing.

Have also replaced the very bent section under the torsion bar. Some muppet had jacked at this point and the metal was very bent. No evidence of rust inside and just some surface corrosion easily sorted with some zinc spray.

Self made dent puller for the all dents in the chassis.

Where were at:

Met 911 Hillclimber whilst in the UK

Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all. A long time since my last post. Not been idle however.

Carbs have been rebuilt. Recomend a genuine Weber kit. Velocity stacks are from Eurocarb in the UK. Beautiful turned aluminium parts and a joy to work with.

Choke cover and replacement stainless throttle arms are from CSP in Germany and can recomend them.

Did not want to be outdone by Jamie in the Velocity stack bragging rights..

Picked up a bargain Blaupunkt radio for 150 €

Am on with fan and alternator as well. 69 912 has the later 35 Amp system and will be visiting the UK classic car show this weekend in search of wider options.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Chassis wise - here we are

Will be replacing the passenger side wheel arch. Having taken the paint gurus advice, replacement is the cheapr option.
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Very nice!

Sent from my UP520 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
aston
DDK slapper chatter

Post by aston »

Great thread Matt, fantastic work...
Kieron.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48230
2.4E (1973).
Suzuki DRZ400S (2006).
BMW R1200RS (2018).
Yamaha XT500 (1978).
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Great thread - I much prefer a DIY build!

Gill.
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Some lovely work there, well done 8)
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Hi everyone,

Have completed the restoration of the alternator regulator, fuse box and heated windscreen relay mounting plate.

Changed tack halfway through from cap head to the more traditional cheese head bolt head bolts. Think they fit with the cars age from the late 60's much better.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all. Back on with the 912 this and past weekend.

On with the rear bulkhead and parcel shelf:

I have also removed the cylinder heads from the engine. Have discovered 82mm pistons, although the barrel coating is damaged prohibiting re-use. Someone who rebuilt the engine in the past was a bit found of the gorilla snot.....

Heads have all the usual issues, cracked spark plug threads, etc. I am hoping that the remote filter that was fitted as the car came will have helped.

After seeing another 912 fitted with Nikkies and having spoken with the owner, the engine runs a lot cooler with the aluminium barrels so I am considering the options. Any opinions out there?

Thanks for looking.

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all.

Some more shots of Lucy the 912 in progress.

Restoration Design panels in use here.

Having seen various car restoration pograms on Discovery over the winter, I have started using the tab method when installing a panel. You get a much better fit as the advantage is you are always using the same datum point. I can only recommend the use of panel or Cleco clips and have bought some more over the duration of the project.If you need to pull a panel into position the hole can be enlarged and a nut and bolt used.

Made some solid progress on the rear bulkhead yesterday:

Just some small repairs sections in each corner required.

Mid floor section is completed.

My new favorite tool - makes sanding the plug welds easy. 50 € was a bargan and have connected both compressors with a T piece. The air tool is much more gentle than an electric sander and I now wish I'd had the air die grinder sooner.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Afternoon all,

Some more progress this weekend. Rear cross member sanded and coated with anti corrossion zink spray. I like to ensure everything has been taken back to bare metal with no rust present.

Corner repair section was quite a challenge as it has multiple contours. Well pleased with the look though, just needs to be sanded back.

This weeks' shopping....

CSP do some lovely machined stuff at reasonable prices. Customer service is also very good.

Thinking about oil coolers. I'd like to mount the oil cooler on the engine lid. My thought path is as follows:

- By NOT using the OE position and a remote location for the cooler, all cylinders will have an equal and relatively un-intterupted cooling air supply.
- The engine lid position ensures no possible damage from stones/rock in comparison to a fender/wheel arch location
- The remote filter will be located in the right rear wheel arch, behind a metal guard. When changing the oil, the engine bay will be kept clean.

The only draw back is the non standard oil cooler location, looks wise - but the option always exists to install the expensive Aluminium oil (600 Euro ++++) cooler back into the original position. I'd also considered the "dog house" solution, but wanted to keep the standard carb/throttle linkages and air cooling system.

I have seen this on a Porsche 912 on YouTube, but have been thus far unable to id the part or supplier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdk9MT3eUI

What looks like the same cooler fitted to a VW

Can anyone help please? I know there are a few VW freaks on this forum and I am hoping you can point me in the correct direction.

Seen a cooler on LimeBug, and Lucy was fitted with this cooler as bought

http://www.limebug.net/product/view/175 ... ooling-fan

The above however does not appeal to the racer in me and I like the look of the YouTube example much better.

Thanks in advance

Matt
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Max at Revival Cars fitted an oil cooler llke that to his 66 you could ask him. His is fitted to the engine compartment side wall. Most of the remote filters I've seen are fitted onto the cross member in the engine compartment.

However, I've only seen a couple.

Sometime an extra cooler is fitted in the wheel arch by racers.

With an extra filter and a stock oil cooler I don't think you will have any heating problems so I'm not sure of the need for an extra cooler. My 912 engine has never shown any sign of over heating and it's almost completely stock.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP