Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Bez1
DDK addict

Re: Porsche 912 "Lucy"

Post by Bez1 »

Abend all.

Update. Been a busy Bee......

Dayjob for VW. Proud to have introduced Porsche aftermarket items this year.

Door sill section has been repaired

Heater silencers removed

A quick brush

And a lick of paint

Blasted and zinc spray coated

Installed

Ready to weld

V section door pillar offered up this evening. Hope to weld tomorrow

Thanks for looking

Matt
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Starting to come together! :
sladey

Post by sladey »

Brings back memories!

Nice work!
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
KS

Post by KS »

Lovely work! 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Max911
DDK above all

Post by Max911 »

Very interesting! Which material is contained in the internal muffler?

Sorry if definition is not correct, I mean this

If I'm not wrong I will do the same refurbishment...new spare parts cost 165€ each...
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Max911 wrote:Very interesting! Which material is contained in the internal muffler?

Sorry if definition is not correct, I mean this

If I'm not wrong I will do the same refurbishment...new spare parts cost 165€ each...
Hi Max911

Yes indeed they are eye wateringly expensive and I did consider some new ones, but after some discussion with my father in law we both felt the originals were savable with a bit of TLC. I was expecting a birds nest but was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The packing is very similar to rock wool insulation material. I simply cleaned the 40+ year old glue away and used a modern selant that remains flexible when cured. See the images below.

I'd also bet that the newer parts are of a lower quality than the new ones....

Cheers

Matt
Max911
DDK above all

Post by Max911 »

Great! Thank you Matt!

I hope mine are in similar condition in order to save money and re-use them. i think that most of all is important not to have old oil smell inside cabine!
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Guten Abend zusammen,

A combination of illness and a broken camera have kept me from updates for the last couple of weeks. However some progress has been made. Been a nice change to do some sub assembly work.

Pedals. Before and after

Could not resist K nuts and brand new ball joints for the various throttle linkages

Door hinge area has been sorted

Bottom of the hinge V section will be welded over the weekend

Danke und einen schönen Abend

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all.

Have been frustrated with the door gaps and sill clearances for a couple of weeks. I had bought some doors from a later model from a guy in Munich, but I am finding that the original doors that came with Lucy, complete with dings, fit much much better. I am aware that these cars were hand made back in the day I didn't realise just how unique the chassis' can be. My intention is to now use the original doors, dependant upon approval of the paint and bodywork guru that the originals are workable, who we are waiting for feedback from. I am not happy at all with the gaps at the front and I am aware that the front wing needs to drop down and move forward to improve the gaps. By the lock post however we are bang on at 4mm as per Porsche. The sill needs to move forward by about 2mm to make everything perfect.

Will be at it again this weekend before the cold sets in......

With the dropping of temperatures here in Germany I am now contemlating moving over to some assembly work. On with the front discs and uprights at the moment. Discs with holes are from CSP parts in Germany and they also have a lot of other 912 parts avaliable.

Thanks

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

A quick question for everyone. I am fitting Koni adjustable dampers to Lucy. Has anyone tips and tricks as regards the settings. Was going to start in the middle of the damping range and work from there. Any advice would be very welcome as at the moment they are easy to set up.....
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Porsche 912 "Lucy", but I susect

Post by haasad »

My car weighs in a 930 kg, I also have koni open bath adjustable dampers in front. They are set to the middle range but that must depend on the tb diameter . I suspect best is to start soft and raise the setting to suit your style of driving. Its easy to drop the damper rod from the top mount and adjust on the car.

Andy
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Thanks for the tips Andy. Will be starting in the middle setting and working from there.

Had good day on the chassis and am now very pleased with the panel gaps. We are now at 4mm in every area and the whole sill was moved forward by 2mm to accomplish.

Also made great progress with the wheel arch repair and just waiting on the ok from the paint dude who is on holiday at the moment.

Front cross member is finished. Very pleased with the overall result and will be even better once Schutzed.

Reckon were about half way through the chassis work.

Onwards!
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Evening all.

A while since my last update. Have been quiet due to the low temps here in Germany. However some progress has been made....

Suspension is ready:

Driveshafts:

Sill is mounted complete with home made front mount. Was a challenge but am very happy with the look. Have the sign off from the bodywork dude.

Plan is to start again in March with the body work and to hopefully have Lucy ready for transport to the blasters and hence paint by the end of 2015.......could be my famous last words.

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

Hi everyone.

Were on with the Spaghetti.........

Very slightly melted from someones welding without removing the fuel or wiring lines, otherwise the loom looks good.

The wires have all been checked and the insulation replaced. My ultimate aim is to "dry" run the loom on the bench before re-fitting.

Fuse holders before and after

I was missing the fuse box covers. The complete Porsche OE fuses boxes are over 90 € + TAX in Germany. However Deutz tractor covers are the same and bought a set for 24 € I intend to re-sell the Deutz holders as they are not 100% the ame as the Porsche holders. In the following image. Porsche TOP: Deutz BOTTOM.

Cover fits 100% though and is as OE Porsche

Rear lights have been refurbished. New chrome paint inside for the reflection. New rubbers, screws and lenses.

Wish the spring would hurry up...........

Thanks for looking

Matt
Bez1
DDK addict

Post by Bez1 »

and were back in the room......

Sill is welded and the drivers kidney seam sealed.

Pleased with the fit with the home made corner section

Next on the list is the door slam panel and being a Dansk part I am wondering about the quality and tooling again. The wheel arch panel is a bit off and I am wondering if an OE Porsche panel may be worth the expense. Will be contacting Porsche Kassel who have been great so far with other bits and bobs.

Compared to the other side that I am using as a reference, the first image of said section seems a bit off. Anyone with experience here? Thinking cap time at the moment....

In other news, picked up a good engine cover/lid on Ebay Deutschland

More on the weekend as spring is here......... :cheers:

Thanks for looking

Matt