Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by Bootsy »

Sits well
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Just fit up of all the parts you took off to paint to go then. Are there any other changes planned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

also interested as to how the bumper fittings work as I will need to do that on mine.
Also love the hinges, did you design and provide CAD drawings for these or were they off the shelf?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

I thought the re-assembly process would be straight forward but suffering from fear of scratching the paint work really slows progress. Also taking the opportunity to add as much detail as I go.

Originally with the bumpers I planned to use the 356 Carrera GT aluminium deco strips but happy with the result so far, although may still add at some point maybe painted black. Like everything so far they just take a lot of time to sculpture to the body line. There is about a 5mm gap. The original two central bolts were used but also two additions near the ends. Welded a M12 bolt to a plate and then bonded that to the inside of the bumper. The body holes were horizontally elongated about 50mm which allowed the bumper to be moved in and out as its quite flexible.

The hinges are still for a Mini but they happen to be made locally, this is the link http://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/retrosport ... cv-models/ The quality is excellent. The engine lid also folds back enough to stay open and not rest on the paint

Changes - I think resolving issues over drive ability will mean lots of detailed changes. Sound system BLAUPUNKT Koblenz head with bluetooth, MP3, app and speakers, Porsche badging is a whole topic, Bead rolled door cards and floor boards, VW wipers were always poor, I have wondered about heating and using the engine heated oil through a small radiator couple of companies have said it should work. Courtesy lights at the bottom of the doors. I would love to see what it looks like on a set of 8 & 9 x 17" fuchs with a lift kit fitted to the top of the coil overs. I have got 120mm ground clearance but still very difficult to negotiate obstacles so a front lift kit would be good.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Keep them pics coming Greg. Can’t wait to see this is the flesh and go for a blast together. Just give me a chance to keep up lol.

Think the idea with using the oil for heat is great. As you have the routing of oil pipes up front. Shouldn’t be to much trouble to branch of to go into the cockpit. You may have move the engine oil thermostat further forward to get the most from the set up??. A Austin Mini heater box is rather small compact unit, might be an option with little modifications??. Like changing the actual matrix to cope with oil flow than water. Be interested in the results
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

So these are the guys I spoke to some time ago about oil fed heaters - https://www.t7design.co.uk/4-3kw-compac ... s-12v.html They have many option for the cabin and blower onto the screen. You are right Rich where to take the oil feed pipes could be tricky, it would need to be before the thermostat and may need some sort of manual on/off. But thats a project for the future.

Reassembly is going well, started at the front and working backwards. Spending extra time on the electrical connections making sure they are clean and then using heat shrink to cover joints etc.

Will get some more pics soon
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

More progress today, front inside re-assembly done, one door internals finished and the other door internal mechanism 80% complete;

ImageIMG_4308

ImageIMG_4298

ImageIMG_4299

ImageIMG_4300

ImageIMG_4305

ImageIMG_4303

ImageIMG_4314
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Looks terrific, great progress.

Love the detail in the front, excellent work
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The workmanship & attention to (unique/individual) detail is stunning ... 8)

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Love it
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Do you have any close up pictures of how you’ve dealt with the hole for the petrol filler cap please - do you have a machined ring going round it?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sladey

Post by sladey »

greg356a wrote:Spent the day finishing off some welding jobs, including the fuel filler;

I answered my own question by going back through your thread. Where did you get the filler cap setup or did you make it yourself?
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Thanks for the positive comments guys

Sladey, just got a collection of ali tube from the local steel merchant and welded them together and tapped a thread in the bottom section and got a ring laser cut for the top. I should have allowed a little more clearance for the paint. I think mdmax72 on here has had some section turned on a lathe which would be much better.

So progress is moving along at a pace;

ImageIMG_4339
Need to find a gasket to fit the rear grill into place.

ImageIMG_4340

ImageIMG_4341

ImageIMG_4328
Sourcing a edge seal/ gasket to go around the engine bay lip to give it a more finished appearance. I always loved the VW's with hidden wiring, but its a step to far for me at this stage. Must take hours and hours to achieve.

ImageIMG_4334

The burgundy colour rag top has been a little bleached out by the harsh lighting.

ImageIMG_4337

ImageIMG_4348

Next moving inside to fit the gauges, deep joy
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

The ragtop looks great in that colour against the body. Love it
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
sladey

Post by sladey »

greg356a wrote: Sladey, just got a collection of ali tube from the local steel merchant and welded them together and tapped a thread in the bottom section and got a ring laser cut for the top. I should have allowed a little more clearance for the paint. I think mdmax72 on here has had some section turned on a lathe which would be much better.
Thanks