356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Re: 356 Speedster Flat6 outlaw build

Post by greg356a »

Hi, Latest updates,

I have sent some drawings away for some laser cut steel. Cover over the top of the tunnel at the rear with a slot for the handbrake adjustment.

Trial fitted the seats and three point inertia reel seat belts.

The seat is a tight fit in the confines of the roll bar but does allow for my six foot large frame with some comfort. The plan will be to get the Recaro seats re-covered in a suitable material and maybe shave a 5mm off the width and 10mm off the head rest.

How long does it take to get the accelerator cable connected to the carbs? all day! I have allowed for lots of adjustment everywhere, so once the carbs are fully bolted down should be able to make a very smooth action. I have used self lubricating PTFE lined cable. Unfortunately bought the wrong diameter 6mm instead of 5mm threaded linkage bars so cant check if ok. Obviously will cut the cable shorter once at final fit stage.

Now at the point where I need to decide whether trying to run the chassis is worth the additional effort or not. I need to create temporary fix for fuel, fuel pump, electrics, oil gauge, oil, brake and clutch fluid etc. I must say I am edging towards stripping down the chassis and sending for powder coat ready to move onto fixing the body in place and then rebuild.
:)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

More good stuff :)

...but if I'm being picky the seat belt is mounted too low and won't restrain you properly. Much better to put it at shoulder height, or at the very least increase the angle past 45 deg. :)
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Agree with Gary. the seat belt will be compressing the spine under-load as it is.... Better to sort now than later when its all been powder coated. Would also fail the IVA as it is aswell...

Use the cross section you have behind the roll bar to mount additional brackets (same as the one in all cars above your left or right shoulder) for yourself and passenger. As long as its above shoulder height it will be fine for IVA
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Guys, Of course you are both right, the top mount should be 450mm high from the base of the seat. I will dig out the tape measure and see what I can do. For clean looks it would be good to hide the inertia reel but will have to give it some thought. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi all, Ordered a set of commissioned wide rear and front wings due for shipment on Monday, pictures show installation on another car, but you will get the drift. So l have decided not to run the chassis but finish the welding and linishing ready for powder coat which will still be a lot of work. Then the exciting part fit body and new panels.

1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

That's one Fat Ass ;-)
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

No WeightWatchers™ here :bounce:
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

I realise to determine the front to back balance bias COG you should measure the corner weight and divide by the weight of a full moon. For a bit of sport two axle stands + hoist ie a practical perspective, found the actual balance of the car front to back. with a wheel base at 2100mm the balance point between axles is 890mm from the back wheel. So slight rear bias good for rear wheel drive? maybe 57/43ish but no fuel tank, oil tank driver. Still better than what it could have been :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

If l get bored over the hols I'll get the jack out and see what mine comes in at?? Take it that's without the body?? Oh and those fat wheel arches will make it tail happy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Fully naked :lol:
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Ok l admit l got bored and curiosity got the better of me. Anyway an excuse to roll the car out on a dry day whilst the skids are playing.

Measured from the centre of the rear axle nut mine came in at 840mm compared with your 890mm, a difference of 50mm. So with that extra weight up front you have made a difference from what you would have :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Good Job :)

Will pm you later with the numbers etc
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi all,
Today's work started well, my mate welded the plate over the tunnel, the slot is for the 944 hand brake adjustment, also the two rear seat belt mounts have been fully welded in place. As my mate said its better to be lucky than good. Easy to say when you are a fantastic TIG welder :cheers:

At the front where the top chassis roll bar tube intersected with the front bulk head the cuts I have made were very poor so re done the work by grafting a plate over the top.

The rear GRP section was temporarily fixed in place before lifting the body into place. Eventually it will be permanently attached to the body tub at the top to stop dirt and water getting into the engine bay. Looking underneath it is a reasonable contour match, hopefully quite easy to fibreglass the joints.

Lifted the body into place, tried a couple of panels

Then body/ chassis pushed back inside the shed to finally decide on the position of the oil cooler, thermostat and oil tank. Crap, looks like the oil tank fouls on everything, we tried every combination to try to get it to work but no chance. So best option looks to be to cut out the rear top triangle chassis tube and replace with a curved tube and replace the metal plate. This should allow the oil filter and oil filler to pass between the two tube section, fingers crossed for tomorrow. Also the body is not sitting down fully on the sills or rear cross member so need to re-leave the body/ chassis to get a better fit
Cheers Greg
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hey Greg,
l could be wrong but it looks as though you've welded the rear seat belt mounts the wrong way round?? The nut should be on the back of the plate so it cant pull through, looks like you've got it on the outside which would pull of the plate rather easily when put to the test. Or is it just a nut used as a spacer???? Don't shoot me... ;-)

Also your measurement of your wheel centre to wheel centre being 2100, on mine its 2170 an extra 70mm between Kits :roll: :roll: :roll:
Rich

DDK Member 0547

DDK addict

Post by 356 »

Hi mdmax72

I find your measurements interesting

Also your measurement of your wheel centre to wheel centre being 2100, on mine its 2170 an extra 70mm between Kits :roll: :roll: :roll:

Did you measure you speedster when it was on the floor ?

Original Speedster 2100mm
Original Beetle 2400mm
SpeedsterClinic ...Remove 300mm
Chesil ....Remove 275mm ?
MW ....Remove 273mm ?