Pre-A Outlaw replica.

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Pre-A Outlaw replica.

Post by Hebster52 »

Ok. Here it goes... :)

I've been into VW scene the past 15 years. Got in touch with them way back in mid 80's at the age of 15 when I bought my first bug that I raced in the backyard at our farm..

At the same time I also fell in love with the 356's and always dreamt about owning one ever since. Had some fantasies about building a speedster too during the early years.

Anyhow. I have several VW projects and also one 66 beetle as my daily driver during summers.

This Pre-A project came to my knowledge around 2008 when I was mindstorming an idea of making my own speedster in a thread in our Finnish VW forums. A collegue then contacted me by PM telling me to buy his coupe project. Or better yet he offered to take my Crewcab project in a trade. At the time I was not ready to let the splitty crewcab go so we settled at that.

At one point last winter I got the fever worse than ever so I contacted the same collegue again asking about his coupe. He still was interested in the trade. So, we had a deal worked out.

The trade didn't take place until a few weeks ago though... :)

Here's when I was picking it home.

Here a few pics of it as it sits now in my own garage.
Still a lot of work but nothing impossible.

The chassis and floorpan including ID is based on a 1302S Superbeetle. Including modified Mcpherson from suspension. It also is fitted with full rollcage.

The body was made from a mold made in Sweden in 2001-2002 from the info I've found out, from an all original -54 coupe. This is the first body from the mold. The body and basecar was sold to Finland where the project got started and worked on. There too sold further to the guy that I later bought it from.
The mold was later sold further to an other Swede who made a second body in around 2007. His full tubeframe racer actually got finished a couple of weeks ago in Sweden. I also found out that he made yet a third body by request from an other collegue who also wanted one very bad. This project is from my knowledge yet about to start.
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Pre-A Outlaw replica.

Post by sladey »

Cool looking shell - looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Le Samourai
DDK addict

Post by Le Samourai »

Yes, keep us updated.
Got the 911 itch.......and the 356 itch.......and the..
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

niaccee :wink:
keep us updated please :bounce:
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Hebster52 wrote:mindstorming
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Hebster52,
This looks like a great project. what plans do you have for the mechanics :?:
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Due to Finnish regulations this will feature "stock" 1600 engine... :) During September I will start working on finishing the chassis and drivetrain including the full cage. Then the body will be reattached and final mounts finished prior to registry and inspection. After it is approved I will work on the final touches.
Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Started to remove parts etc. prior to lifting off the body so I can finish off the chassis and framework.

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

The other Pre-A coupe with the tubeframe looks special. looking forward to your updates :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Just one pre-A here.. ;)

Scribbled some hitech drawings today...

Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

I cut up a donor -69 beetle yesterday and started fitting some bodydetails from it into this. Didn't like the flat aluminiumsheetmetal popriveted together... This way it will more "authentic" even though not like original.

Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Was out to the garage yesterday to work on the dailydriver Polo but got distracted and did some work on this instead... :)

Managed to get the first sheetmetal bent for the new bodymounts/doorsills.

Today I recieved the first part of the gearbox "liftkit".. A type-2 bus nosecone which will lift the frontend of the gearbox about 30mm (the left one in the picture below). Now I also will fabricate a new rearmount to get the rear lifted the same amount.

Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Looks like I have spotted the reason of lifting my engine and gearbox up into the body compared to no need with speedster replicas...
From what I have managed to find out is that atleast on some speedster kits the rear apron have been dropped to line up with sides. With this mod the beetle's engine at original height dont show too much under the apron...

My body is molded straight from an original body where the rear apron is atleast 5cm higher than the sides.
Just like in this picture.

Hebster52
Married to the DDK

Post by Hebster52 »

Some progress the past week...

First off started modifying the rear gearboxmount for raising the package 5cm resulting in hiding the engine some..

Then I finally recieved the steeringwheel. Still without hub, just the hornbutton from splitbus with a porsche crest bought from user "redrobin911"

So I had to start working out some plans for fitting the wheel in the car... ;)

Today when I was clearing out in the garage I found a box I had forgotten I had many years allready.. Was a pleasant find though! 8)

I bought these Cibie extralights way back in 2006 when I was building the KidVrod (Mini Volksrod) for my kids, but decided not to use them as they were too big for it... :)
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Hebster52 wrote:
I bought these Cibie extralights way back in 2006 when I was building the KidVrod
That was you? Now I know that this is going to be amazing. 8)