What not to do on the M1..

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

What not to do on the M1..

Post by TheEasyLife »

When coming home from a customers on Monday evening my car sounded like it was going over a rumble strip which was strange as I was in the third lane doing motorway speeds overtaking cars...

Then it wanted to lurch left. This was when I realised I had a flat left tyre. Managed to stop the car from going into the side of the car to the left of me and made it safely to the hard shoulder at J28.

This is what was wrong:

Am impressed that there is only the slightest of scratches on the outer rim despite doing 200ish yards slowing down. Am very happy as it could have been much worse..

Am also very impressed with most others on the motorway who quietly overtook me doing 50 on my space saver wheel. Only had one hgv on my bumper flashing his lights at me to go faster. He eventually overtook me. Getting a pair of new front tyres now and can't wait to put the space saver back in the boot.

Cheers

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..
Fascinated with 911 seats and induction systems!

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: What not to do on the M1..

Post by mdmax72 »

It's not a Pirelli ;-) is it..
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Thats not good is it
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Glad to hear that the outcome wasn't any worse James.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

mdmax72 wrote:It's not a Pirelli ;-) is it..
Yes it was a Pirelli. :lol:

Having said that, I've done 80-100k miles in 4 years on p-zeros and they have been fine up until Monday. I've ordered another pair as I'm that happy with them. I'll be checking them monthly now as I've never bothered before.

James
1979 SC Targa - Long term project - in storage - purchased 10/16 - last looked at it in 08/18..

Previously
1973 911T in Gulf Blue (with 2.4E ITB's, EFI and EDIS) - from 07 till 16. Sorely missed.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

do you know why it failed ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

hot66 wrote:do you know why it failed ?
No. I have a suspicion that the pressure was low based on the wear at the edge of the tread and where it blew out/off. I'll find out more when I visit the tyre place on Friday as this is only my second 'puncture' in 24 years of driving. I don't have a flat drive so can't really measure pressure so have never bothered. I'll have to find a way now.

James

Previously
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I few years ago I lost a rear left wheel, from my defender, when going down the M1. Thank goodness I had felt something and pulled over onto the hard shoulder and stopped about 20 seconds before the wheel came bouncing past the car!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

TheEasyLife wrote:...I don't have a flat drive so can't really measure pressure....
Excuse my ignorance, but how does that make a difference to the pressures?
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

TheEasyLife wrote:
I don't have a flat drive so can't really measure pressure so have never bothered. I'll have to find a way now.
Why would a sloping drive affect your tyre pressures?
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
grannysmith
DDK forever

Post by grannysmith »

Perhaps James is thinking altered weight bias of the car but I don't think that would have too much affect.
Mick

'72 Targa 2.4T/E in Chartreuse

My Google search bar knows two words and they both begin POR..
ken c
DDK above all

Post by ken c »

I have found that the biggest destroyer of tyres is speed bumps which are generally in crap condition. We used to have an E class that I used to straddle the speed bumps with, only to have a tyre blow at 90 (for which read 70 obviously) on the A303. The treads were fine, but the speed bumps had wrecked the inner tyre walls. I now go over the bumps really slowly, except in our unnecessary R class which can easily straddle them.
TheEasyLife
I luv DDK!

Post by TheEasyLife »

grannysmith wrote:Perhaps James is thinking altered weight bias of the car but I don't think that would have too much affect.
That was my (misguided) thinking. I need to find/puchase a tyre pressure gauge now..

Just got back from the garage. Reason for the tyre being in 2 pieces like that according to the staff at the tyre place is "because you've been driving on it when flat" But it wasn't flat and I couldn't be bothered arguing. I asked them to check pressure of my offside tyre before we changed it. It was 32 and it should be 36 though this is no indication of what the other one was before it gave up the ghost.. Guess I'll never know. It had been a lovely smooth drive down the A1, M18 and M1 until that point.

On a positive note today took the 911 to the customers and they like it. Wish it had aircon though as it was 28 degrees on the way home. Arrived there grinning like the village idiot so they knew something was up!

Cheers

James

Previously
crisc204
DDK slapper chatter

Post by crisc204 »

when they cut through cleanly like that it is normally because the tyre has previously been driven with very low pressure. The rim cuts into the sidewall and kinks then severs the metal cords/carcass
then it lets go like your pic
Likely a puncture which deflated it and finished it off on the day

Either way glad yourself and the car came through it with the minimum of fuss
http://www.911rrr.com

Baltic 3.2 Carrera
Ornamental 911 Gulf RS 3.4 hotrod...
jrampton
DDK above all

Post by jrampton »

Did you do the lap at the Silverstone Classic and touch the curb at all :)