LYY 911D Restoration

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Re: LYY 911D Restoration

Post by spillers »

I will have a look Mike when I get back (I'm in the USA just now on business). Under the steering wheel on the hub - I take that to be the steering wheel hub.

I am putting the chassis up on axle stands so it is more accessible for examination. Just before that I took these pics:

The next big job is figuring out how to salvage the maximum of the chassis. I am getting helpful words of wisdom on how to do this and I only hope that there is more salvageable than it seems from the initial view namely that a complete re-shell is required. I am prepared to go beyond the norm of welding and building a framework to take as much of the remaining metalwork but this will take time and creativity. So I don't expect any quick progress. This is the hardest part.
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

You do have your hands full with this one i think.
I'm not sure just how i would stat with getting the shell in the right shape and on some form of platform picking up the key points ie rear torsion tube/front A arm mounting points.

It would be good to have a good jig to build off (ie a cellett), a new floor (like Ferrymans) and come up from that.
You can be sure of lots of support from us all on DDK and I hope you will share all the steps you take.
This is the biggest 'shell' adventure ever on DDK?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Hi
might I suggest a robust dustpan and brush.
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

210bhp wrote:Well done John

I think you can safely assume they are original to your engine and the car.

So, complete matching numbers, engine, gearbox, chassis, webers.

What about the date stamp under the steering wheel on the hub?

Regards
Mike
Finally I got to the Steering Hub Mike. The horn ring came off easily to my surprise and the nut also came off very easily, to my great surprise.

Here is the stamp:

John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Another result.

As you go through your parts you will find nice little details like that.

The back of your clocks are next. When you get them out carefully have a look for the dates. Matching set?
Probably by the looks of it.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

I did a bit of research to find out how to remove the clocks. Later models you can just pull out the instruments but these early 911's have a retaining bracket to which the speedo and tacho are bolted. The only advantage of all the corosion I found is that I had pretty easy access but a lot of corosion of the attaching nuts gave me pause for tackling the task of removal. I think I want to make some record of what is connected where and so at his point I just took from photos. These two seem to show the markings on the rear of the two main instruments

Tacho:

Speedo:
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Out of the blue Bonhams put me in touch with a previous owner who has the original log book

[Image

Work and winter and family have slowed all progress but now I can start to research the history
John

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Nice result again John.

It's going to be a tough restoration and I, for one, don't envy you but it's going to be a fascinating process. The DNA is there, it's all about saving as much flesh and bones.

Have a good Xmas. Enjoy your research. It's one of the most satisfying parts to the resurrection.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Have only just caught up with this thread and what a project! 8)

Have to say I admire your courage John but what an incredible car to own when complete and one that seems to have quite a few hidden treasures.

I think you're fairly close to me, if you'd like some inspiration and see how good a freshly rebuilt Barry shell looks then feel free to call in anytime.

The best of luck with your project and my admiration for taking this on........remember anything is possible!

All the best,
Dingbat
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dingbat »

Hi
at the risk of being shouted down I have to ask, why bother, what is so relevant about this car that makes it worth saving not that it can be saved because if it is restored how much of it is going to be "that" car, and what about the small matter of the missing vin tags are Porsche going to issue replacements although there are certainly other routes to getting some, now I don't know how much a '67 S costs this week but I can be pretty sure that its a damn sight less than the cost of trying to put this back together, elsewhere on this site there is a '65? being rebuilt using salvaged sections from an imported 912, extreme but a fair bit is still going to be the original car, there was swampy the rotten and burn't 2.2S which looked fairly skeletal before big bad Barry had its way with it and every fitting that could be salvaged was saved and reused and it still retained its identity, Visualfix took on an amazingly awful 67'S and between the body people and his efforts to source and rebuild the missing items an S was put back together from a bunch of orphaned parts but the bones of its shell went again, and nearing completion is Ferrymans '74 Carrera, truly dreadful but retaining its original engine etc it has been pretty much reshelled but not just by building into another car but by actually building most of a new car although where practical elements of the original body were retained, but I would suggest that many SWB panels are simply not available. I know its good to push boundries and new techniques can be developed by trying to do what was previously considered to be impossible but to do this car is a bit daft, its not filling any missing gaps in Porsche development, its not of some great historical interest its mostly a money pit of the first order, a far better thing to have gone for would have been Eve that LWB development car, that would be a satisfying thing to do, it was mostly all there and had a very interesting history turned up by the chaps that found it, and I think it was a bargain when sold I thought it would go for more. I know a lot of money was spent buying this at auction but if someone I knew bought something like this I would tell them to cut there losses and bale out unless they have a mental amount of disposable income they are determined to dispose of but I guess it takes all kinds, I have a 356 cab underway of which the only original bit of metal connecting the front to the rear is the top of the "transmission" tunnel but again it still has its original bulkheads, I only wish it was me that had done most of the work, I farmed it out to a creative genius who has worked a small miracle with it, I don't want to be on the receiving end of a bunch of abuse or to upset the buyer but I don't see how this car can be restored short of finding a big pile of NOS parts or an unused RHD shell but who knows whats out there.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Well that's another view point Dingbat although personally I'd strongly disagree…….some are happy to rebuild a car from the chassis plate alone and claim it to be real….this car is far more than that, has much of the original DNA and has great historical significance.

Having someone save the car despite the economic downside is a credit to them.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The economical reasoning is not that important surely?
The car was bought with open eyes and the buyer must be content with the car in his garage.

The effort (time/cost/research) to do this by DIY or 'Barry's Shop'/ Nick Moss/Alan etc is to be seen but will not be balanced by the value when done maybe, but i doubt that matters to the owner.

The strongest thing here is the car is in the public eye, how it is fixed-up will be transparent, so no 2.4S pretending to be a long lost proto of the 2.7 RS for ££££ gain/fraud.

The first 911/912 body was made from sheet metal off a rolling mill, hand formed and developed to the first production car in Porsche's R&D Dept.

Every part required can be made for this car this way in the UK. Any part.

The car will then be a 'barn find' rescued from a shallow grave to a car that will be of considerable interest to the Porsche Circle and most importantly, its owner.

A great project I think being taken on by a keen gent with some resources around him and a good deal of determination. Good luck to him and I would think DDK will be very supportive of the effort.

I just wish he would get on with it! :wink:
There are no mega=builds happening on here or are passing-out soon, and some of us DIY restorers need a fix.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
mycar

Post by mycar »

Dingbat wrote: A briskly flowing stream of consciousness
Can I direct the honourable gentleman to the paragraph key...

:-P Mike,
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I'm afraid I'm with Bill on this ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
sladey