LYY 911D Restoration

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: LYY 911D Restoration

Post by 210bhp »

Nick is right. You need to get someone to look over the parts to check each and every one (or post pictures here). Not only are some 67 parts unique to the year, there are some parts which are 67S unique i.e. not found on 67 'normal' models. I hope you are going to find most/some of these parts because some of them are unobtanium as originals e.g. the sill trims. I would not discard anything until you are 100% sure it is not needed.

All the best,

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Been ferreting around the boxes this evening. You are right there are surplus "spares" but I hesitate to discard anything until I am sure it is surplus to requirements. Also if U/S I will keep for the time being. It seems the list is correct but some of the items are in very poor condition, others not too bad. I need to empty from the cardboard boxes as some are wrapped in plastic bags and some are damp inside despite this weather.
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
Barry

Post by Barry »

Nick Moss wrote: the only viable way to do this is with a RHD donor shell. The way and care that the existing panels are worked into the donor panels to retain the maximum of the original car is critical, not only to the integrity of the car, but the way that the restoration is accepted as such by the Porsche community.
Agreed :) . There does come a point where to say something is other than a reshell is just fantasy, and this would have to be it. Fasinating to see one go so far though.

Thanks for the kind words Dan / Steve :) .

Good luck with the project :) .
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Spillers

I am in awe and jealous at the same time. I had an Oct 67 T in pretty bad shape (not as bad as yours) that I chickened out of (timing was awful at the end of 2008). One of the first half dozen RHD Sporto boxes...

Canford took it off my hands, did it up and it ended up in Singapore
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk/galler ... -rhd-1968/

Not many days go by when I don't think about the car and how stupid I was not to keep it...

There'll be days that you want to bail out. DON'T!
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Barry

Post by Barry »

Tosh wrote:Spillers

I am in awe and jealous at the same time. I had an Oct 67 T in pretty bad shape (not as bad as yours) that I chickened out of (timing was awful at the end of 2008). One of the first half dozen RHD Sporto boxes...

Canford took it off my hands, did it up and it ended up in Singapore
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk/galler ... -rhd-1968/

Not many days go by when I don't think about the car and how stupid I was not to keep it...

There'll be days that you want to bail out. DON'T!
Bodywork done here in fact :) . New torsion tube IIRC?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Thanks for the reminder there Barry!! ;) The only positive is that Alan didn't do a resto thread on it

[Where's the "kicking yourself" smiley]
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
Barry

Post by Barry »

:)
Drmark
Married to the DDK

Post by Drmark »

I can resist anything but a tempting Porsche
Silver '70 2.2s (gone and missed)
Blue '89 3.2 Carrera (gone to Yorkshire)
Blue '08 997 4s (when my wife lets me drive it)
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Well, after visiting the Siverstone Classic this weekend and talking to various folks this project will be a case of exploring the possibility of the art of the restorers. This was my original inspiration. Memories of this from the mid 1970s are my primary motivation and with a supportive wife (now as was then) I am convinced we shall be able to preserve this little piece of history - I enjoy a challenge. It will take some serious sacrifices to get there and one will be to sell my GT3 RS to help fund the project.
Attachments
My first 911S. A 1967 SWB LHD from Belgium
My first 911S. A 1967 SWB LHD from Belgium
Porsche 911S O(C)RT 395E .jpg (227.04 KiB) Viewed 914 times
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

If you get stuck on anything let me know. We have a lot of spares plus some rare 67S RHD only interior trim etc. Probably have headlights, 67 suspension inc konis, S brakes and so on. If we can help let me know.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

The last time I saw a 911S clutch was when Josh Saddler at Autofarm in Bucks then showed me mine. It had been burnt out by my wife trying to park on a hill shortly after passing her test (the 911 was our only car!) The rivets had melted and the metal radiated like stalactites from the clutch plate.

The pressure plate is marked : FICHTEL & SACHS AG, SCHWEINFURT, TYPE M215
There is white mark next to (under) the TYPE 215

Last edited by spillers on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

I meant to preface by saying I am going to post shots of parts I dig out of boxes as I catalog the inventory of parts - starting with these clutch parts
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

A couple of questions. I dusted them off and wiped down light rust. the springs are rusted

1. Do these look like original parts?
2. Is there anything I should do to them other than store in a dry location?

John
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Now I have sorted most of the bits into dry boxes I can start to see what I have. I will go shoot the doors next but first some sidelight

There are three front side lights

Last edited by spillers on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Then what looks like an interloper 901 631 403

Last edited by spillers on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
John