LYY 911D Restoration

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Re: LYY 911D Restoration

Post by spillers »

Yes that looks like what mine must have been.
I found several LHD ones on the internet and they have the linkages to the clutch and accelerator out the right hand side.
I want to be sure and get the right period - looks like not much if anything changed from 66 to 72.

I look forward to seeing any photo's anyone has of a 66/67

THANKS for the great help everyone
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

I found parts exploded diagrams (one from Pelican Parts the other from a parts supplier) Both seem to be LHD and the spring seems to be on the other side of the brake pedal

:?
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Here's a photo of the pedal box from my LHD 66 2.0 swb before restoration (and I thought mine was in a bit of a state!).

As you can see there is no clutch return spring (part 21 in top diagram), or mounting pin on the side of the pedal bracket for it to fit on, so this was obviously a later modification. It seems to correspond to the lower of your two diagrams.

I'm sure a post here or on the 911S Registry will get someone to tell you the date of the change.

Mick

Edit: Note mine was missing the accelerator spring on the LH of the parts diagram (part 33) - I had to source a replacement.
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Hi John
Not very good pictures I am afraid. If you PM me I may be able to help better.
These are from my early MY66 RHD 911.

Image[/URL

[URL=http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/DEEMAN705/media/Pedal%20Box/Pedalbox002.jpg.html]Image

Ian

1965 RHD 911 Golfblau
2001 3.2 Boxster
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Well that is very clear and definitely an early "bearing bracket" as shown below. Looking for other sources of info I went back to page 1 of this post and one piece of advice from squirdan was use Porsche Classic. There I found this official Porsche parts catalog:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/or ... ATALOG.pdf

And sure enough there are RHD and LHD layouts for the pedal cluster.

In the "Remarks" column LL is LHD and RL is RHD. These lists identify differences in specific years - also called out in the "Remarks" column.

I guess that -68 means up to 1968 because (for example looking at part #10 in the LL list) there are different part numbers for '69 912 & 911T. Likewise reverse lever part #14, throttle linkage part #18

Interestingly the "Bearing Bracket" #29 and #30 differ from '67 to '68 as do various other components.

This is the LHD layout page 1

LHD Parts list page 2

LHD Parts list page 3

RHD layout page 1 - this clearly shows the "Bearing bracket" difference between part #29 and #30

RHD parts list page 2

RHD parts list page 3
Last edited by spillers on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

I think the other difference for the '66 is there was no "Steering knuckle spring". Why on earth it was called this I cant imagine as there is nothing to do with steering here.

Deeman's doesn't seem to have one whereas Mick's does.

It looks like it was fitted from Nov 1966 onwards.

LYY 911D was prior to Nov '66.

It's hard to tell but there doesn't seem to be any vestige of this spring in the remains of my pedal cluster. But is hard to tell from the extreme left of this

I will take a closer look tomorrow
John

MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Not sure if your comment about the difference between Ian's (DEEMAN) and mine refers to the 72 RHD or the 66 LHD, but for completeness of info. John, my LHD is a May 66 build and was about as original as they come
Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Sorry Mick, I was looking at the excellent picture of your '72 RHD cluster.

I guess that if I go down the parts list it might be that a LHD cluster has 90% of the same parts as a RHD. It should be possible to build up a RHD box from a LHD + RHD - but I guess that if one of the main differences is the "Bearing Bracket" if that is in good enough, relatively rust free, state from a RHD then the rest is likely to be in recoverable condition like your LHD.
John

spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

The more I look the more I see.

The LHD configuration has the accelerator shaft passing through the brake/clutch and the "bearing tube" The RHD shaft is on a separate axis ahead of the brake/clutch.

Maybe not so simple to swap parts?
John

Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

John

Put yours on a plinth, or bin it. There is nothing there to recover.
I have a virtually complete RHS set up suitable for your car, but I am missing the base of the clutch pedal, part number 901 423 314 00, part 48 on the drawing above, and a couple of bushes that are still available from Porsche. All parts are plated or powder coated. £200

Parts included: 4, 5, 6, 21, 22, 23, 29, 30, 31, 32 (new), 33, 34, 35, 39, 42, 43, 45 (new) 46, 47 (new), and the piston rod assembly which is not plated;70, 71, 72, 73
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Thanks to Nick and other DDKers I think I will have a full set. Some cleaning up to do and plating and painting. More pictures later

And so on to the question of the brakes. These early 911's didn't have a dual circuit system.
see here:

Image[

It was upgraded to dual circuit in 1968.

I think it would be a sensible upgrade and safer to use a dual circuit master cylinder.

I guess the argument for originality would say use the original. The argument for sensible drive-ability would say go dual circuit. I am wondering if there are other pros and cons - not least of which is probably rareness of the original master cylinder.
John

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Dual circuit must be the way forward and Porsche thought the same too in 68.

I imagine many 356'ers run a single system but the Old Car Charm will soon disappear if things go wrong.
I wouldn't give it a second thought and you could go to single when sales time arrives, but would anyone really worry about such an upgrade?
You will fit modern new brake pads and tyres; I see no difference in the thinking.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

This is a keeper so selling is not a consideration. The other implications are different fluid reservoir and brake pipework layout.

Meanwhile I would be interested to take a closer look at GVB 911D. This was on show at the Porsche festival at Brands Hatch this weekend with pictures of it in the first 911 rallycross - and it is still racing today.

Rob Russell, owns his Lydden rallycrosser and BSCC racer today - does anybody know how I can contact him.
John

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I m pretty sure GVB 911D is the closest surviving chassis numbered car in the UK to my own. They must have been built days apart.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Bit more digging and I found this article. Looks like this was built as one of the first 4 RHD 911 imports. So it would be interesting to look at the details

https://www.flickr.com/photos/triggersc ... 20/detail/

It seems LYV 10D was sold a while back - anyone know where she ended up?

Or where LYV 9D or LYV 10D are?
John