LYY 911D Restoration

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: LYY 911D Restoration

Post by Darren65 »

Barwaut wrote:
IanMcLeod wrote:It would not put me off buying the car.
And when there's a similar car (with a correct VIN) on the lot? which one would you take?
I'd take the nicest one..….and knowing where this is to be restored, it will probably be this one! :wink:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:
Barwaut wrote:
And when there's a similar car (with a correct VIN) on the lot? which one would you take?
I'd take the nicest one..….and knowing where this is to be restored, it will most certainly be this one! :wink:
Sorry, corrected :)
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

Barwaut wrote:OK, complete bodywork, and then what to do with the chassis number?
As far as I can see, it's rusted away on the original shell.

So, in the end there will be stamped something, this thread will live forever on the interweb (cached by several sources)

The car will be very hard to sell....
Barwaut, I don't want to sell the car. This is a website for mavericks right? So I suppose I am allowed to do my own crazy thing and do it in public :wink: I aim to save as much as I can of LYY 911D; including the chassis number on the dash :)

and on the door pillar :)

I am already learning a lot about what I love which is what this is all about 8)
911hillclimber wrote:I do hope the 'work' can get going soon!
My plan is to get welding in 2 years as retirement gives me time to be really involved. You all know that anyone who is good at shell work has a loooooooong waiting list.

In the mean time I am very keen to learn more about the history - any leads on the previous owners?
Fron Purslow, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. (5th April 1971)
or
John Kingsley Miln of The Croft, Old Brampton, Chesterfield. (7th June 1973)

Thanks Darren and Andy After some patience via forums (I might try early 911S registry or even pistonheads????) I will go the DVLA route
AND over the next 2 years there is lots of sorting through the bits as much as work allows!! :cheers:
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Ignore those being negative, it's your car and can already tell you're going to do it right .... I love a good resto thread , especially when a car is being brought back from the brink . This kind of documentation of the resto really adds to the cars history 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Nige

Post by Nige »

2 years! Get your finger out I want to see some reconstruction pictures :)
Barwaut
DDK Fanatic

Post by Barwaut »

Have fun!!

Great project, keep us posted!!
'67 912 White Black Coupe
'68 912 Slate Grey Red Leather Targa
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

Barwaut wrote:
This car does have the correct VIN. As Ian says above, there are several examples of the VIN elsewhere on the chassis. John has also stated that he is doing this for his own personal satisfaction, not to profit from it, so the point is moot.
Last edited by Nick Moss on Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Your car, your life, do WTF you want. But we do want PICS
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Cripes!
I'm due for early retirement soon (this year ish) and I have a restoration of a Lambretta to do from scratch and re-paint my 911.

This is one hell of retirement project!

Will be great to see a 'Barry' have a go at this, but 2 years?
Can't you start now?

:wink:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Grenoble39
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Grenoble39 »

Hi John,
All very exciting, but if you wait two years to start it will be four before you are driving it! Will you be able to maintain enthusiasm that long and still be young enough to drive it?!!
Good luck and best wishes,
Howard
Howard
1969 911T Sporto
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

I told you I am a Porsche nut. Dont worry about the driving fun; in the meantime this is my driving fun.

I may have to sell her to fund the works (but my wife has stopped coercing me into disposing of her :wink: )

So over the next two years.....
John

" Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." Albert Einstein
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I'm sure you're looking out for relevant parts like a hawk, but I just noticed these on eBay in case you are short of a door:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-ORIGINAL-G ... 53f899f06f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-ORIGINAL-G ... 53f899fa0c

Amazing that someone can charge $225 for a door and then slap on $928.10 for shipping.
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Castle Combe? How did you pass the noise test? I thought they were always 'quiet' eg 98db days.
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
Jaguar F-Pace S 3.0 supercharged.
McLaren 12C spider
spillers
DDK Fanatic

Post by spillers »

PMNorris THANK YOU for the ebay pointer. I have what look like the two original (it seems) doors in very ropey condition and some more recent doors. Expert opinion seems that it is possible to rebuild from the originals so I am OK in that department for the time being.

There was a conversation about the doors on pages 3/4 of this post

Made me notice my older posting photos were gone (just placeholders left so I replaced them with appropriate links to pics of clutch, lights etc)

squirejo - VERY observant - you saw the reflection! Yes Castle Combe runs 105dB days - this was with the PCC. The RS is right on the limit. I was disappointed when I took it to Castle Donnington and got removed from the track day. I have owned a Mk1 GT3, a 996 Turbo, at 996 GT2 and Mk2 GT3 prior to this GT3RS and they all sailed past noise tests at all the british circuits. Best place to go that I have tried several times is Spa.
John

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

John!
When are you going to stop enjoying yourself and lift a spanner? :wink:

Way back one of my 73T doors was like yours and that restored just fine, needed a whole bottom section, deep repairs to the lower hinge area and a bit by the window frame bottom rear retaining bolt, two latch bolt areas, an inner brace and a new skin... :shock:

Still ok after 25 years. 8)

Of course, the factory made the prototype parts by hand and small tooling, a restoration is bit the same, look at Barry's door mod for Darren's hotrod, so a good tin-basher will save those doors, just rust not crash damage, but i think you know this very well!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9