Best way to approach sale

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
PhilGarner
Married to the DDK

Best way to approach sale

Post by PhilGarner »

Sadly I haven't really been involved with the club since our two small children tool over our lives! :)

The last major run out in my 911 was to CLM in 2010, pretty epic, but mostly has been definitely underused.

Since the market has gone so crazy and the kids are not going to takes any less time anytime soon I am thinking of selling.

It is a 72 E Sporto, cheap repaint in 2005, but looks pretty good apart from up close. Currently got black 944 turbo seats in for support (interior is tan). Car is mostly unrestored, interior totally original apart from the seats. The sporto box works perfectly, amazingly.

It has a long-suffering MFI issue which I probably need to sort before sale. If driven at partial (low) throttle for a long time it will stall, and refuse to restart (for a while). This makes town driving a no-no. Flat out and it’s fine!

So, I’m thinking for retail, it needs repro ‘S’ sports seats in tan leather (approx. 3k), new carpets (?), the MFI sorting (call it 1.5k?) and Fuchs refurbed (0.8k?).

Then I think it would be good condition 1, not perfect paint, and ideal for regular use.

It seems since prices have gone through the roof, most sales are via a dealer, understandable when spending north of 30k. Is it worth me doing this work to make it ready for sale so I can get top price for it, or leave that to a dealer?

This would of course be painful for me since a lot of work has gone into it, but I suspect I am not alone in this; at this money lots of enthusiast tinkerers will be selling up and getting into something more spanner-able.
ian cox
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Best way to approach sale

Post by ian cox »

Hi Phil,
I completely sympathise with you as I have 3 daughters 12 and under and using my cars is difficult.
I have sold 2 of the three cars, for this reason, but I plan to keep the 1969 car irrespective of how few miles I do between MOT's.
The reason is that if I sell it I will never be able to buy it back and prices seem to be going only one way.
IMHO fix the MFI problem and enjoy it, assuming you have somewhere easily at hand to store it.
The other rubicon could be if it fails an MOT due to corrosion. There are plenty of examples on this forum where that can end up.
Ian
Regards Ian Cox
1969 2.2s restoration nearly complete
1972 911S/2.5ST replication (sold)
1985 3.2 carrera track day shed (sold)
Ralph
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ralph »

Why not hold on to it? I have owned my 911 for nearly 17 years and have never even driven it. During that time I have moved twice and had 2 children - now aged 11 and 15. I am now only getting round to finishing it off. If it had been complete I may well have sold it years ago to finance more home improvements. I am just glad I held on to it.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

Big decision Phil.....
Sell it now and you'll see a good 'profit' and release the cash for other purposes..... BUT, if you then decide to re-enter 911 ownership in 2-3 years time what might you have to pay?
If you can keep then do so is my advice. Currently better than money in the bank
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
PhilGarner
Married to the DDK

Post by PhilGarner »

I think the main issue to me is its value. It is now really worth too much for me to be messing about, doing engine drops in my garage on my own. Because it is so valuable, I worry about it more than enjoy it, as its value isn't proportional to my income (kids are expensive!).

I mean, I could buy a TVR Griffith for hooning and spannering, a conservatory, and money left over in the bank. That is a pretty strong pull.
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

Hi Phil,

I've just made a similar move. Sold my 912 after 8 years of ownership - I wasn't getting the time to drive it, in part due to 18 month old son, plus we have another on the way. I was sad to see her go, but at the same time, have some great memories! It took me about 6 months to really commit to a decision, indecisive or what?!

On the plus side, I am enjoying the search for what is going to replace it with - probably something more modern, but hopefully just as fun. 8) And hopefully a Porsche!

Good luck with your decision!

Adam
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Evening Phil, selling at this point is tempting for sure... there has been talk about this 'bubble' bursting for two or three years now, surely these prices cannot continue to spiral upwards as they have been doing.

To sell now, when it's the 911's 50th birthday, when the 911 is getting maximum exposure, the bullish of bull markets... surely you'll see a good return.

If you hang on for another 5 years, the car will, undoubtedly, be worth more. Another ten years and you'll be saying ' I cannot believe I let that car go for X amount.' :)

But unless you have an emotional investment in this car, then I would say, this is as good a time to sell as any.

Spend money on the MFI and get the car driving as it should.

Get the wheels done.... nothing spruces a car up like pukka wheels. Do they need to be anodised or can you polish and paint them yourself ?

Then, when that's done, decide whether you want to sell or not.

The money you will have spent will be an investment either way.

I wouldn't bother spending 3k on seats.

Yet.

Regards, Mike.
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

I had the same thoughts recently.
Having been renovating our house for the last 4 years, the car hasn't been used as much as I would like, and the release of money would help speed up the last of the work on the house.
But I would like another classic, and what else could I ignore for weeks, then take it for a trouble free 200mile run like this Sunday. Try that with a TVR.
The 911 is so capable of doing anything, popping down to the supermarket, blasting round the great roads near me, room for the dogs in the back, putting a smile on my face when I catch sight of it sat on the driveway etc.
A local classic garage had a Mustang in recently, it caught my eye, but that was 30K, and I do like going round corners.
I don't worry about its value, if its nicked or I crash it, again :oops: , its insured at a slightly inflated value.
I decided if I sold it, I would want another, but might never be able to afford one.
I was lucky and bought at a good price, after 5 years I know the issues with it, and cant really think what else I would like to own in 5 or 10 years time.
Sort the MFI as you may feel more likely to use it more with this sorted, I had an issue at the start of this year with warming up, sounded a bit like yours, thought it was MFI but turned out to be points.
But if you decide to sell, don't fix anything, park it up in a barn chuck some dust on it, then sell at auction :lol:
1971 911E
1990 986S
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Speaking as someone who has sold a nice early 911 in the past for 'a lot of money'... don't do it.

A few years down the line, that 'lot of money' will seem like nothing much at all, and you will wish you had another one. They are the swiss army knife of classic cars.

Be one of those old guys that has owned their Porsche for most of its life. Ignore how much it could be worth right now, and take comfort in the knowledge that its a very liquifiable asset if things ever go truly T/U.

That said, I sold a minty mint Renault that I never used. It was a lovely car, but it didn't excite me. I don't miss it.
'68 912
alfacat
I luv DDK!

Post by alfacat »

For what it's worth here's my 'Tupence worth' don't sell it! Unless your really strapped for cash and have to, don't sell it.
I sold mine and have regretted it every day since, just don't do it... :(

All the best
Ian F.

Gone but not forgotten
72 2.4 T in Sepia (Charlie)
60s, 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s Alfas
Caterhams (one fast & one very Fast!)
and a few old Lotus.

Still with us
997 C2S (Alice) & M&W 550 Spyder (Lil Caesar)