door advice

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

door advice

Post by bazz55 »

hello i have a 69 911 which has corrosion in its drivers door.. its lhd...

lookin to but either a new door or to reskin the old one... ha sanyone done this before... and did the doors change shape after 73... could i use a later door??

ooo and while i am here has anyone got one spare they are just gonna throw out? :lol:

any info would be great

bazz :wink:
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

The overall shape of the door is the same from 65 to 89. Later doors have impact beams and slightly different fittings for trim attachment. There are also single oblong holes in the front and back of the door where the frames are bolted in instead of 2 round holes. If you are prepared to live with the minor differences they are interchangeable.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

thanks nick thats great info... will start looking for some doors know

thanks again

bazz
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

Just out of interest, I have reskinned a '73 model (early) doorskin: Remove door (make note of what shims go where behind hinges, strip out main glass, and mask with cardboard 1/4 light (grinding/welding will etch into glass). Remove handle. Put door flat with frame down. Using linishing disk in mini-grinder, or gently with grinding disk, run around rear and bottom of door skin where it wraps around frame. Drill out spot welds on front edge, and cut cross braces on top of skin - frame, and right at top / rear of skin. The skin should peel off. Clean frame up and prime with high zinc weld thru. primer. Fit new skin over frame, spot or plug weld front edge just in a couple of places, plus tack cross braces at top. Using hammer and dolly gently take skin over frame, do not pinch right up. Re-fit door to car, at this point the whole door can be twisted through it's length to get perfect alignment. When spot on carefully and gently remove again, weld front edge and braces, and continue peening main edge over. Check alignment again, before final peening over. If all perfect put a few (4/5) tiny welds between rear of skin (the beaten over bit) and frame. These help stiffen the door - however you don't want to put any heat into the front of the skin or you will start a distortion. If unsure leave it as most cars aren't tacked here anyway. Then remove black protective paint, etch prime and paint as normal. Put in a couple of sound deadening pads, and cavity wax, re-fit glass and door mech.

The replacement skins are I think all galvanised (hence the etch primer). The one I got was aftermarket, and looked fine, but actually turned aout to be slightly rippled, so I ended up having to fair it in, although the actual panels gaps were fine.

In conclusion: by far the easier option is to get replacement door (take a magnet with you!), but if you've got a reliable welder, grinder and good quality hammer and dolly, it's quite DIY'able. :wink:
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

The guy doing my car just bought a pair of '87 doors for £150 each. They have the side impact bars and are galvanised. I believe that a little welding is required to extend the bump that operates the courtesy light switch but I'm willing to be corrected on this. I've seen doors advertised in the back of PP at this price.
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Bazz

Who do you use for paintwork in our area?
1970 911 3.6T
bazz55
DDK slapper chatter

Post by bazz55 »

hi there... many thanks for all your replies... very very helpful... am on the search for some doors now.. its amazing how much you guys know... so thanks once again...

hi derek... if your talking about the paint on the oval myself and my father prepped the car and he put the top coat and baked it at the accident repair centre he works at... as for other people i have a couple of friends in telford that can do cheap reprays but haven't seen much of his work lately... but i could find out for you... hth

it would be great for you to pop to the flf4's meeting in your 911 if you get the chance... i am still driving mine over winter but giving it a serious clean afterward... or when the weather gets a bit better... i would love to see your car pal.. i hear its lovely!!

cheers all bazz :)
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Bazz

I have a right hand (RHD) spare door if the other side starts to go.

Would come to the FLF4's in the 911, but I took it to bits (a lot of bits). Might pop down in the 914 some night.

Look forward to seeing your car in the flesh, saw some pics on the FLF4'site, looks good.
1970 911 3.6T
hashman
DDK forever

Post by hashman »

Just to confuse matters,
I bought new doors for my 71 911 and wished i had re-skinned the original doors as the door gaps were never as good with the new doors.
But i fitted them myself, and if you have the work done by a body shop, this might not be a problem.
Just an additional thought.
Keep the Outlaw Faith