Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Not getting emails when posts update

Post by Darren65 »

Works for me! :)
Tony
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Tony »

Sorry if I'm a bit behind on this one - been away for a few days. Not getting daily emails - but can't unsubscribe to threads or forums I was subscribed to - have you turned the feature off all together?

Tony
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Yes, I've had to turn the feature off until the numbers come down I'm afraid otherwise no pm notifications or new member notifications will ever get out again which I have to deem as more important than subscribed notifications.

The numbers are just too high, plus ending up getting 100s of out of office responses when people are subscribed to their work addresses but have automatic responses set and its just got out of control.

Some members were subscribed to so many threads that they were getting huge numbers of emails a day.

Currently I'm also getting 100s of mail delivery failure emails where the forum is continually trying to resend subscription notifications which I can't turn off. It's a bit of a mess and taking a lot of time to try and sort out

So again - please will everybody edit their subscribed threads and forums lists ASAP otherwise I can't get the server to start sending out notifications again.
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

left4dead wrote:Tom, please forgive if this is a stupid question but I don't want to receive any emails telling me a topic I've replied to has had a reply. Can I turn this facility off somehow? Or do I need to unsubscribe to every single post?

Thanks.
Steve it's worth checking that in you Edit Posting Preferences that you've not got the notify when reply received email on. It shouldn't by default but its sounds as though you've turned it on.

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sladey

Post by sladey »

Sorry to be a pain Thomas but is there any progress on this? Part of the strength of the whole forum is that I have 'conversations' with people on a topic. If I don't know when they've said something then it's like I've left the room. I've subscribed to certain restoration threads and I really want to know when they add something new, so to have the feature turned off altogether loses a big chunk of DDK's attraction.

Is there any way of limiting the ones we can subscribe to? I know what you say about the out of office stuff but it's odd that it's apparently been fine up until about 2 weeks ago - I can't see anything that would suddenly boost the traffic at that point.

I'm certainly not meaning to be an 4rse on any of it but it's actually a really important feature and losing is like going from texting to sending messages by carrier pigeon
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I'm afraid not at the moment. A painful move to a new server (in terms of man hours) and a hefty monthly cost looks like the only move.

Member renewals and new subscriptions would struggle to cover the costs at this point. You'd be surprised how few subs end up getting paid.

I could raise the price but don't want to. The more official the club becomes the more hours involved in running it smoothly. The higher the price of subs the more expectation.

I am progressing a new dedicated server for the job though which would mean I could turn it back on.

Some people were subscribing to forums as well as threads. Posts would be made and literally hundreds of emails would be generated in an instant. I'd then receive loads of out of office or on holiday auto responses in an instant which is another drawback.

There no way of making the threads you can subscribe to selective as far as I can see but I'll look at that again within the software.

I appreciate it's an important feature but I've never used it to be honest. I just click othe View New Posts link top right and scan the topics to see what I want to review/reply to.

The sites traffic has been gradually growing and is just reached a point where the server was being blacklisted as sending spam become of the levels being pinged out from DDK at a high frequency throughout the day.

As I've said the longer term plan is a new dedicated box but until they've had to disable it.

Sorry

Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

I'm with Thomas, and use the "new posts" feature only. For a year or so I hadn't been getting the single thread update emails and I was perfectly happy. I had only just started getting them again a few weeks ago and went into CP to disable the feature, so even though I am still subscribed to 80 odd pages of threads I don't get any emails.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
sladey

Not getting emails when posts update

Post by sladey »

Thanks for the response Thomas - I appreciate that. I also use the latest posts feature, but find that the emails let me stay in touch with more intermittent threads.

Anyhow I appreciate you responding - and appreciate the longer term goal. Thanks
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Jasper »

Hi Thomas ,

I have the non updating problem also for about a week.
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Jasper »

Sorry to be a pain, I have checked my inbox's not full etc , should I do anything else so that I can receive posts ? Or is a fix on the way. I miss my fellow bloggers
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

The facility is turned off Jasper for everybody. Please read the thread and it explains