1965 RHD 911 restoration started

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Re: 1965 RHD 911 restoration started

Post by AndrewSlater »

Always good to see an update to your thread Ian.

You encountered the opposite to me, in that on my 912 the front screen went in a breeze but the back one took 3 or 4 attempts and two different seals.

Silly question as I can't see the photo correctly, but have you fitted the windscreen before putting the dash in?
I only ask as I was always told it was pretty difficult to fit the dashboard after the screen.

Your seats look great as does the re-chroming of the hinges. Really sets it off well.

All the best
Andrew
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Well Andrew, I had the dash in and out couple of times and I fed it in from the cabin so hopefully it'll go in OK. Next job so I'll let you know :bom: :bom:
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Great progress Ian, your seats look lovely, using as much of the orginal leatherette as possible in my book is always the way to go. Credit to yourself for wanting to retain as much of the original seat material and to Garry working his magic on another set of orginal seats.
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

I braved the snow and cold to see if the dash would go in Andrew - and it did, no problem. Now if it had been the earlier four button type I would have been up sh..t creek but this is the type that has two forward facing studs that go through the bulkhead and four screws that lock the sides. Bit fiddley but in OK now.
The whole reason for the delay was that I had not checked the radio worked!! I had the speaker (new from Chrome London), and a new Hirschmann (from Koneigs Klassic in Germany) but had to work on the radio a bit and I preferred to do all that out of the car.
Anyway, got it going fine, listened to a bit of Radio 4 ( about a Parisian model who lived on 3 apples a day to keep her figure :shock:), and then installed it
Considering the Blaupunkt Bremen which is original to the car and is over 50 years old all I had to do was re solder the aerial connection and replace the vandalised knobs (the new ones came from New Zealand!).
Sometime I will list all the countries that have been involved in this rebuild.

The other little thing I sorted last week was the washer bottle. I found out the missing right-angle fitment I needed is the same as a 356 so a bought a new one together with the lift pipe and valve to replace my incorrect one (cool £25!!). Now it is complete so I am happy. I saw a bag sold on ESR recently for $800 :shock: and someone else is advertising one at 2000Euros :shock: :shock: Not serious surely.

DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Can't resist posting this. Out of the garage for the first time. Getting near to completion.

sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

Simply gorgeous..

KR

Sanjay
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Car looks lovely Ian, wont be long now.....
1968911s
Married to the DDK

Post by 1968911s »

Fantastic!!
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

Wow Ian. Beautiful. You have done a fantastic job.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

:cheers:
:love4:
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Only just spotted this - Ian that is looking really great - you must be getting excited!
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been very remiss in not keeping my thread up to date but... I'll do a catch up with my trials and tribultions sometime but just for now here is the situation with the mechanicals.
Motor nearly done - just awaiting Pierburgs and a few other pieces from Chris at FLN.

Gearbox ready to be hooked up, clutch in tomorrow.

Hopefully, Blue Belle will be ready for her debut by the end of next month.

Ian

Fingers crossed (and everything else)
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

brilliant stuff - thanks for sharing
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

One or two things along the way that may be worth mentioning. I came to fitting the brake pads and all was well until I realised I had the wrong pins for the rear callipers - or so it seemed. Normally they have a shoulder on them, right? The ones I had did not have a shoulder so they were loose in the calliper at the inner side. I agreed to return them to the supplier with one of my grotty old pins for reference. I cleaned one up with the rotary wire brush and bingo - it came up like new! So did all the others so I plated them and saved £35. Great.

But you win some and you loose some. When it came to the front callipers I found another problem. Some goon in days gone by had bored out the pin holes to a larger diameterin one calliper so the stock pin would not locate at all!! That was not noticed by me or Classic Automotive so I have had to send another calliper to them for refurbishment before I can finish the braking system.

The oil tank I had refurbished, but on reading other blogs on the dangers of using old tanks I decided to buy new. The first I bought from Germany but sent it back because the inside felt gritty. :shock: The second I got was a Dansk and seems quite good except the flange on the top side of the tank is too generous and clouts the inside of the wing. Luckily there is enough to grind away to make it fit. Anyone else come across this?

The stainless exhaust system is also Dansk and fitted fine once I had dented it (carefully) in two places where I felt it was too close to the camchain box.

The two tabs on the inner edges I took off as there is no fitment for them on the early engine although the casting design seem to be ready for such a fitting. The Dansk tabs were not positioned correctly though and I would have had to reposition and drill/tap the cases to include them I decided not to do this. The only other thing was my left hand exhaust was for the injector model and had the hot air fitment. I removed it.

I was very pleased to have a new belly pan made by David (LGK 6D). The early pan is a very simple (but in some ways complicated) hand-made sheet steel item. They became a pressing later on ('66/67?). I do have one -RHD at that, so if anyone wants one.....

The four clocks that have been with Reap Automotive for a little while finally came back looking very nice indeed. I gather his lead time is now something like 9 months.

More anon.

Ian
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Hi Ian

Enjoying your build thread, looks like your nearing the end.

Your spare RHD belly pan, I would be interested in that can you pm me details

Thanks
Mark