1965 RHD 911 restoration started

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 1965 RHD 911 restoration started

Post by sladey »

Cool stuff Ian - what's the second layer of sound deadening that you used and where did you get it from?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Gary71

1965 RHD 911 restoration started

Post by Gary71 »

Coming on well Ian, I remember that first scratch of the new paint! Best get it out of the way early :)

Sladey, the sound deadening looks like this stuff:

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1384-so ... -felt.aspx

Which is the same as I have in my car and pretty close to the original if I remember correctly.
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

The stuff I used is on Evilbay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jute-Anti-Scu ... 3f662d655a
They used to have it listed as a 12m roll at £96 so I bought one and shared it with a couple of mates.
It is fairly close to the original at 11m thick. I got through so many Kraft knife blades though - blunts them like nothing else!!!
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks guys
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Looks like you're getting close now, well done :)

Keep the photos coming.

Cheers,
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Front suspension now in and struts, hubs and brakes in place.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but look at the casting date on this ZF steering box. 52/64. Christmas week!! I did not realise until I was working on this item that they were made in Gmund.

The brake master cylinder I rebuilt. I was thinking about going duel circuit but with everything being new or overhauled I reckon it is safe enough. I never heard of a failure with a single circuit set-up :roll:

The petrol tank has been sealed and tested so that went in.

The filler pipe seal has a ferrous fitment for the overflow. It always seems to rot. I found an exact brass replacement in a 22mm alkathene pipe insert. Fraction of the cost of a new part I'll bet. Perfect.

The original washer bottle cleaned up OK so that was popped back in its hole. Does anyone have a spare single right angle fitment for the single pipe cap. I think they were all the same up to '69 although the bottle was placed to the front. Mine is missing.

I re-made the heater tube panels out of Foamex (picked up from Jamie's thread - very useful stuff) and 3mm scrim. Worked fine.

Ignition switch is early bullet type and caused me a bit of puzzlement as the numbers don't relate to my wiring diagram.

Most of the dash is ready to go but I want to have my clocks refurbished (excluding the actual time-clock bought from Eric Lanz after an ad on DDK). I seem to be missing the cup and spring behind the wheel so I have had to order those.
But that wheel looks and feels lovely. I bought it at a PCGB Meet at Donnington years ago for £100!!!!!!!!!!!!

My tyres arrived from Blockley, look good, can't wait to get them onto my refurbished wheels. They are being guarded well by certain young lady who came to stay recently. She is a Portuguese Water Dog if anyone want to know, great fun and very intelligent.

More anon
Last edited by DEEMAN on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice stuff - all looking very clean.

My mate has two spanish water dogs - nice dogs
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Brilliant. You have a deadline now, btw. ;)
I'll pop 'round over the weekend and tell all.
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Couldn't resist posting this even if it is not a very good shot. First time Blue Belle has stood on her own boots in some 30 years! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Lovely lovely lovely.........

This is going to be a stunning 911 on the road.....

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

DEEMAN wrote:......First time Blue Belle has stood on her own boots in some 30 years!.....
....these are special moments!

Congrats :)
milo
DDK Newbie

Post by milo »

Hi DEEMAN
You seem to have renewed the rubber bung and metal pipe coming from your brake master cylinder, can you tell me where you got them? Porsche say NLA
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Still pushing on. The headlining is now in. This is the new one alongside the one I took out :lol:

Rubber anti rattle filler in the front, liner to the roof and pads around the lights and behind the coat hooks. Coat hooks were treated to white vinyl paint and it worked well as they were very discoloured.

One of the tips I picked up was to put all the screws into place before putting the head liner in. It's much easier to find them, make a nick and remove the screw to fit the part than dig around with a spike to find the hole.

I ordered carpets from Cartex in Germany and whilst waiting for them to come I dug out the seats. They are all in really good condition considering the time they have lain around. The black leatherette is of the earlier perforated type and the only damage being a cut in the drivers back bolster. The underside (and insides?) looked a bit worse for wear. I stripped the mechanisms off and have sent the hinges for re-plating. I was going to have a go at reinforcing the cut but after removing the 52 tacks (!!!) from the seat-back base, I decided that it would be a much better idea to enlist the help of Garry (Visualfx). So that's where they are now.

The rear seats are really interesting. The are quite different to the November-production 912 seats I have. The seat backs are metal lined and the carpet support is attached to the seat back, not the carpet, and is much larger and shaped. The seat fixing points are made from solid bar, shaped and let into the wood back rather than a pressing screwed to the side. The carpet supports are a bit creased so I put Gorilla tape front and back on them.

The rear seat are OK. Originally the base and the seat surrounds were sewn together, rather crudely, and they have come apart but it interesting to see the upholsterer used headlining in their attachment.

Windows to go in next but I am bringing in help for the front screen and back glass. The rear quarters have been re-rubbered and are ready for installation.

All for now.
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

milo wrote:Hi DEEMAN
You seem to have renewed the rubber bung and metal pipe coming from your brake master cylinder, can you tell me where you got them? Porsche say NLA
PM sent
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Long time no report but things have progressed though slowly.
The original Slgla front screen was installed by experts as I could never see myself doing it. Good thing too as it proved to be a bit of a ****. Premier Glass of Aberdeen did it for me and sourced two alternative rubbers as it would not go in with the Porsche one I had. Lesson learnt inasmuch I bought that rubber some time ago and it was not as supple as it should have been. Coupled with fact that it is a laminated screen it proved too difficult to do. A Pilkington rubber was used in the end. The back screen proved much easier. New trim went into the front but we managed to fit the original back one.

Remember the tear in the seat? Well I took out the 50 plus tacks from the frame base thinking I would put a reinforcement patch behind and glue it together. But then I had second thoughts and phoned Garry (VisualFX) and everything was shipped down to Newdigate for his wizardry. Here are a few pictures of the process including one of the remains of some prehistoric creature that died in a comfortable 911 coffin. What was it?? A bat, a bird - I don't know..... Answers on a postcard to Garry, he's the one who got the fright.

Bases were blasted and powder coated, a couple of rustworm holes but nothing serious. Runners were zinc plated and fixed back on.

New rubbers, clips, hessian and padding.

And back on with the original covers.

Remember that rip....

Well this is that area now....... Garry replaced the whole section with like (old material), you can't tell it has ever been apart.

So on to assembly, hinges were rechromed because that was more than patina in a most noticeable place. Incidentally, there was a date stamp inside the hinges that looked very much like 1964 (!!).

More soon