help needed with oil cooling on 911 gearbox

Any technical issue relating to Motorsport Porsches

Moderator: Bootsy

Sten gr
DDK Fanatic

help needed with oil cooling on 911 gearbox

Post by Sten gr »

Hello!

I´m building a historic 911 racer, fia period GR, and are about to start on the gearbox, anybody who got a DIY guide to oil cooling on the 911 gearbox 69-71
spray nozzle on 1st, 2nd and final
where do i drill the hole for spray nozzles?
What do i use for spray nozzles?
Where do i drill the hole for oil feed to the external electrical oil pump?
and where do i put the oil cooler. (got to be some where under the bak seats i recon)
plumbing seems straight forward to me but please advise the right dimension on hoses and oil cooler, and please help with the above.

Sten
johnM
I need to get out more!

Re: help needed with oil cooling on 911 gearbox

Post by johnM »

Hi

Is this any help.

moggy wrote:Been busy getting the rally car back on the road over Christmas. Not much to do this year, or should I say... as I didn't crash it this year, there wasn't much to do :lol:

On the list were (this is the short list the long one has 18 points on it :roll: ):

New CV's - after seeing to Porsches go out in Ulster Rally last year with CV joint failure I though it was about time I replaced the ones that were on the car (or should I say.... came with the car when I bought it :roll: )

Gearbox oiling system - After loosing 2nd in the Ulster Rally at the end of last year it was made evident to me by Mr Bainbridge that I needed to replicate 914/6 GT system which had a number of squirters feeding oil to the gears and LSD. Mike did an awesome job of rebuilding 2nd, a main bearing that had gone bye bye's and the GT oiling system. All that was left to me to do was install the whole thing and sort out the necessary pipe work and pump.

Respray - A much needed lick of black is needed to address the gravel rash and little bumps and scrapes it's had along the way. Currently in progress.

Here's some piccies of it all installed. Below shows the pipe that takes the oil from the old oil drain plug, up via a filter (150micron) to the pump. I had to use an electric pump rather than the mechanical pump used on the old GT cars, as the GT cars had a pump driven from a cam on the head of their 911 engines. No luxury of overhead cams on my little thumper so electric was only option. Pump then goes via a cooler (see second picture) to a splitter on top of the case which has 2 take off's, one that goes to an oil squirter that feeds the LSD (see connection just above the clutch cable) the other to the top of the intermediate plate which then feeds the gear.

Apart from a little hiccup which flumuxed me for 20mins when I had the speedo running backwards :oops: turned out to be a 911 speedo drive on, instead of a 914 one :lol: , all works great now :cheers:

Thanks go to Mike Bainbridge as always for awesome job on the whole gearbox and lubrication system :cheers:

Now for a lick of paint and it's 'once more unto the breach dear friends, once more' :P
moggy wrote:Here's a picture of the original gearbox used in the Monte Carlo 914/6GT rallycars from 1970:

Here's Mike's recreation:

Hands up who thinks Mike's is better :cheers:

Kind regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Sten gr
DDK Fanatic

Re: help needed with oil cooling on 911 gearbox

Post by Sten gr »