Mongrel Street Racer

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Mongrel Street Racer

Post by Bootsy »

hot66 wrote:there are no rules ;)
Very true.

Now Darren, 100 times on the blackboard.....

I must not obey...
I must not obey...
I must not obey...
I must not obey...
I must not obey...
I must not obey...
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Just don't paint it Gold Metallic and put it on 944 Turbo spacesavers – that's the only rule! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I would delete the sunroof but keep the roof steel.

At the front I wouldn't replace everything with composite panels - personally I'd keep the steel wings but swap the bonnet for a grp or carbon fibre version.

But as others have already said, there shouldn't be any rules (but I must admit to a preference for upgrades/mods to be - or at least appear to look - period-correct) - it's your car, do what makes you smile ... :wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
vicpolky
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vicpolky »

Loving the sound of this project 8-)
Vic
DDK Member #0513
1968 Porsche 912 1720 Warmrod
http://superninety.blogspot.com/
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

KS wrote:Just don't paint it Gold Metallic and put it on 944 Turbo spacesavers – that's the only rule! :lol:
Gold stripes OK? :roll:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

it's not a track car is it ? More of a streed rod ....... so personally , I can imagine blasting through the German forests, high comp motor screaming away , sound from the open headers echo back off the mountain sides .... sunroof open to capture the full effect ;) ...
No, not a track car but it will be tracked. Fun is the key word with this project although it has to be a serious piece of kit! :evil1: …..love how you describe it James 8) but should be loud enough to grab attention without the roof!
Lightweight_911 wrote:I would delete the sunroof but keep the roof steel.

At the front I wouldn't replace everything with composite panels - personally I'd keep the steel wings but swap the bonnet for a grp or carbon fibre version.

But as others have already said, there shouldn't be any rules (but I must admit to a preference for upgrades/mods to be - or at least appear to look - period-correct) - it's your car, do what makes you smile ... :wink:
I think I'm with you on this one Andy, all pre-1978 8)

Thanks for all the comments,
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Just out of interest, what's the significance of picking 1978 as the limit ?
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

that was when Darryn was born, he's only a slip of a lad

love that olive coloured ST car you posted Darryn

at this rate you'll be the UK version of Magnus..:)

Jp
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
KS

Post by KS »

Darren65 wrote:
KS wrote:Just don't paint it Gold Metallic and put it on 944 Turbo spacesavers – that's the only rule! :lol:
Gold stripes OK? :roll:
There are no rules... 8)

I've found it fascinating how the modified Porsche scene is now tending to follow two distinct routes: recreations or homages to the comp/sport purpose cars of the past (RS, RSR, S/T etc etc) and now, a new breed of cars where people are throwing off the shackles of the past and doing what they want, rather than what they think will please others. It's got to be healthier for the scene – diversity is good! Too often people build a car with one thought in the back of their mind "Will it be easy to sell". That will always stifle imagination and ultimately the pleasure derived from any project. When the time comes to move on, a well-conceived car will always find a buyer...

Oh,. and I'm with the keep the sunroof team. :)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Lightweight_911 wrote:Just out of interest, what's the significance of picking 1978 as the limit ?
No particular significance other than I wanted to choose a cut off point when the early cars were within reach of the average man and when this type of project might have happened, maybe not 100% historically correct but at least feasible.
The idea of choosing to build a car eligible for the PCGB Pirelli Race Series was so that all performance modifications had a purpose, no idea really if this is correct but it sounds good! :wink:
I also thought 1978 might give me a little more flexibility with fitting stuff like 930 brakes etc.

As you know Andy I'm really quite green when it comes to all this so all in all just a loose set of guidelines invented to keep me honest!

Although I love many of the cool cars being built with modern twists, I want this one to be period correct and plucked straight out of the 1970's! 8)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

jtparr wrote:that was when Darryn was born, he's only a slip of a lad
…yeh, I wished!
jtparr wrote:at this rate you'll be the UK version of Magnus..:)
…only in my dreams! :bounce:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

KS wrote:I've found it fascinating how the modified Porsche scene is now tending to follow two distinct routes: recreations or homages to the comp/sport purpose cars of the past (RS, RSR, S/T etc etc) and now, a new breed of cars where people are throwing off the shackles of the past and doing what they want, rather than what they think will please others. It's got to be healthier for the scene – diversity is good! Too often people build a car with one thought in the back of their mind "Will it be easy to sell". That will always stifle imagination and ultimately the pleasure derived from any project. When the time comes to move on, a well-conceived car will always find a buyer...
I totally agree Keith although ultimately I think it's the creative types that do this best 8)….. and unfortunately I'm not one of them! :roll:

…this car will probably be quite boring in comparison to most..…but I know what I like and at least it won't be stock! :wink:
squirdan
DDK rules my life!

Post by squirdan »

it's not a track car is it ? More of a streed rod ....... so personally , I can imagine blasting through the German forests, high comp motor screaming away , sound from the open headers echo back off the mountain sides .... sunroof open to capture the full effect ;) ...
was thinking when mines done I might take a trip to Le Mans, past the cathedral, then down some country roads, stop by the side of the road, look pensive and then drive off... 8)
Megane R26R
Discovery Sport
Defender 110
BMW R9T
Trek Superfly
but sadly no Porsches any more
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

Darren65 wrote:I want this one to be period correct and plucked straight out of the 1970's! 8)
Slot mags and candy flake then?
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Jonny Hart wrote:
Darren65 wrote:I want this one to be period correct and plucked straight out of the 1970's! 8)
Slot mags and candy flake then?
:lol: Yep…..and forward dated and whale tailed - Bootsy Heaven! :wink: