Back in beige

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Back in beige

Post by Darren65 »

Car still looking superb and great to see you posting Mr Lipman :thumbright: ....

.....my how time flies, I remember you being a bit taller :)

All the best,
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Jonny's electric aircon must be worth considering, given your location?
Very nice to hear from you, I hope you and the family are all well.
Best wishes, Richard.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Just catching up with this thread. You don't do things by half. Rather than wrap the exhaust or add an external cooler you twin plug your car :)

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Hi Neil,

Nice to hear from you.

Car is great, althought tucked away for the summer right now. Can get a bit hot here in July / August - it's 47C tomorrow.

One thing I enjoy most about the car is how much my little boy absolutely loves going in it. He's pretty well behaved generally (my wife's work), but when we go out in the car he really knows it's time when there is absolutely no room for dicking-around. It's really nice to spend time with him like this.

Not much else to report. The Megasquirt ignition system works well. I don't think there was a massive change in the way the car runs, but it does run cooler and there might be a touch more power. Was it worth it? Probably not, but I did enjoy the process of getting it all together, and I think I'd like to EFI it at some point. Maybe.

Outside of car stuff, I'm in the process of building a house addition (single-handedly, because I really don't enjoy dealing with tradesmen) and the other day test flew an aircraft that I bought as a project about a year ago. Unfortunately ran it a bit hot and may have bollocksed the motor, which is pretty sad and an enormously costly mistake, but still working through it at the moment to see what the situation is.

Jamie
'68 912
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

jamie wrote:Hi Neil,

Nice to hear from you.

Car is great, althought tucked away for the summer right now. Can get a bit hot here in July / August - it's 47C tomorrow.

One thing I enjoy most about the car is how much my little boy absolutely loves going in it. He's pretty well behaved generally (my wife's work), but when we go out in the car he really knows it's time when there is absolutely no room for dicking-around. It's really nice to spend time with him like this.

Not much else to report. The Megasquirt ignition system works well. I don't think there was a massive change in the way the car runs, but it does run cooler and there might be a touch more power. Was it worth it? Probably not, but I did enjoy the process of getting it all together, and I think I'd like to EFI it at some point. Maybe.

Outside of car stuff, I'm in the process of building a house addition (single-handedly, because I really don't enjoy dealing with tradesmen) and the other day test flew an aircraft that I bought as a project about a year ago. Unfortunately ran it a bit hot and may have bollocksed the motor, which is pretty sad and an enormously costly mistake, but still working through it at the moment to see what the situation is.

Jamie
Have you been on the 912 BBS form. Look for Mike Horton. 912 and 356 owner. Very friendly and knowledgeable. In Texas. Also 50 years of experience of working on air plane engines if you need any advice.

Ps I think my kids enjoyed my old 68 Coupe. When when it broke down in the Blackwell Tunnel and we had to be towed out

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jamie

Post by jamie »

OK - car is going to EFI. I have fitted the throttle bodies and installed the high-pressure fuel pump.

Lots of bits and pieces to tidy up, but putting it on electronic spark first really saved me a lot of work at this stage.

I drove a stock 912 (with a big-bore kit) a few weeks ago and it made me realise how noisy (and stressful) my car is to drive on long jouneys. So I'm removing the Knecht-style air cleaners and fitting some enclosed air boxes or a plenum. Having done a bit of digging online, I may go with boxes from a late 70s Honda Gold Wing. Also, I had two Harley-Davidson noise baffles installed inside my exhaust pipes exits, and driving that stock car made me realise how much they were restricting flow at high RPMs. So I pulled them out and threw them in the bin, where they belong.

Will report my findings.
'68 912
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Sounds good Jamie 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Seen your pics Jamie looks great
What ECU are you running? Assuming you are going to combine fuel and spark in one box?
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

This is another interesting evolution of your engine. Good luck.

But what is stressful compared to a big not

You already have crank ignition so what will an EFI give you? Slightly better fuel economy?

jamie

Post by jamie »

Gary71 wrote:What ECU are you running? Assuming you are going to combine fuel and spark in one box?
I'm running a Microsquirt ECU for spark, which has been great. I'm going to use it to run the fuel, too.
neilbardsley wrote:You already have crank ignition so what will an EFI give you? Slightly better fuel economy?
POWAHHH. And, more importantly, smoothness / tractability.

The Webers have been great, but US fuel is full of ethanol and they're getting a bit narky now. I parked the car for about 9 months and it took ages to clean them out and get them running again. I still have a stumble between 1800 and 2000rpm which is really annoying.

Also, this thing is like a science experiment now, so why not?
'68 912
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Glad you are sticking with the mega squirt family. With fuel and spark mapped at least you can get optimum at all points in the Rev range. Still working perfectly on my Targa.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

What was the difference micro to mega squirt? I can’t remember even though I built one!
jamie

Post by jamie »

Physical size and fewer features. I'm running two very rudimentary tasks - fuel and spark - so the functionality is absolutely fine for me.

That aside, Microsquirt is a sealed unit, which I like.
'68 912
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Good to hear from you Jamie.

Let see some pictures of the setup.

(Really though we want to see some pictures of the car out in that fabulous scenery you have all around you)

Cheers
Jon
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Some good photos on Jamie's Instagram