Back in beige

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Back in beige

Post by jamie »

*** OCTOBER 2017 UPDATE!

Earlier this year, Photobucket started charging to hotlink images from their site.

If you are seeing broken image links in this thread, download Google Chrome browser and install the extension 'Photobucket Hotlink Fix'.

Hi. I'm here to renew my membership.

Some backstory: I found DDK in 2006 shortly after buying my first Porsche, a 1972 911T. I chanced upon the car whilst photographing a collection for a magazine and persuaded the owner to sell it to me. I thought the car was a scruffy beater, but it turned out to me anything but. I loved the car and used it whenever I could, but with value of the car increasing all the time, I got nervous about using it. In 2008 I sold it and learnt to fly.

Me flying Slow Wing, my Avid Speedwing, in Ireland: http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/5937359505/

After a year or so I bought a Renault 8S, but it wasn't a Porsche and it only made me miss my old car more. I decided I wanted a narrow-body impact bumper car - this Targa being a particular inspiration:

It didn't take me long to realise that I wasn't going to find a nice one of these that was within my budget, so I kind of gave up the chase. Meanwhile, around mid September, we sold our house. Not wanting to be living with my or my girlfriend's parents whilst we waited for the next one to arrive (it still hasn't), I've been away continuously doing jobs abroad since.

I'm currently in San Francisco. Last weekend I met up to go driving with a friend called Hayden in his 912 and a 356. It was a beautiful sunny Californian day, and Hayden took us on a frantic winding route through redwood forest and out to the coast. We stopped for a pizza, before swapping cars and doing the same for the journey back. Hayden is a suspension engineer with some sound credentials, so the two cars were set up beautifully and what they lacked in power, they absolutely made up for in their ability to be slung through a corner in a way that would have resulted in me wrapping my old 911 around a giant tree. I hadn't only seen the four-cylinder-Porsche light, I proper wanted one - a lot.

Somewhere out the back end of California, sun, winding road, eight horizontal cylinders, total driving joy.

I'll admit that all the time I had my old 911, and most of the time since, I hadn't really understood the 912. The 356 is interesting. I think. Whatever - too expensive for me to think about that much. I search Craigslist and Pelican for 912s but even scruffy ones are too pricey, so I stop fairly quickly and resume normal operation of looking at aircraft (they're pretty cheap with the price of fuel and the recession and whatnot).

Two days later I am down in Fremont at tuning shop called Sharkwerks, photographing a story with John Glynn (of Impact Bumpers and Ferdinand magazine). John, doing his usual Talking Like a Madhead, learns that one of the Sharkwerks guys has a 912. Furthermore it's Standard California Beige (a perversion of mine) and he wants to get rid of it. After all, who could possibly want a taupe-coloured, four-cylinder Porsche.

Me.

So I buy it there and then.

I got it back to a friend's garage this evening after a few hours messing about with fuel pump issues. It drives great. There are a few bits of rust as the car was left sitting outside for three years - sills, front pan, one rear seat and floors. OK, lots of rust, basically anywhere water can, and did, pool. But the unrusty bits are solid as a rock. The paint is original, scratched, scruffy. Panels are dented, the ride height is US-spec nastiness. But... after four long years I finally have another Porsche - one that I can screw around with and drive as much as I like.

Hello again!

Fitting a get-me-home inline fuel pump to get the car to someone else's home.

Inter-Continental Beige Motorcar safely stashed in friend's Typical American Prono-Garage. The stack of deep-sixes in the foreground were included in the sale!
Last edited by jamie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'68 912
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Back in beige

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome back Jamie, good to hear you've got a bit of beige in your life. Looks cool
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jamie

Post by jamie »

Cheers Thomas! Good to be here again.
'68 912
jamie

Post by jamie »

Rust.

Front pan is nasty:

Bottom of wings (of course):

Inside the tank:

Sills. They look OK, but I don't believe they will be once I go at them with a screwdriver.

Kidney bowls, top of rear arches, inner wings, A-pillars and screen surrounds all look good.
Last edited by jamie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'68 912
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Dig it out, replace, refine and enjoy it!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jamie

Post by jamie »

Dan, who sold me the car. Note nice wooden steering wheel. Not-so-nice (but kind of cool) Wayne's World-era 'Rockstar' cassette player. New charcoal Perlon carpet set (not yet fitted) included in sale. I will probably fit Cobra RS Classic seats as I quite like them.

I expect I will EFI this one as well. Got to be done!

'68 912
jamie

Post by jamie »

Engine, screaming out for ITBs, ECU and a really good clean:

'68 912
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Good to see you back Jamie.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Welcome back Jamie !

Great write-up (what else would we expect) - Sand Beige is a great colour for a swb 911/912.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

Welcome again it is great to have you back Jamie
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

Woa, there it is! Awesome!

Good to see you back in the fold, Jamie!

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Welcome Home Jamie! :cheers:

Nice story & pics, of course. And looks like a nice car you have there. That "stick shift" has some proper patina :) Have fun with it!

BTW I rather liked your little R8S!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Good to see you back Jamie!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

Hi there Jamie. 'About time. :)

Not sure what ITB, ECU, RS8, SWB & 912 mean but I'm sure we'll find out. :wink:
The car looks great in that colour. Looks rotten, but good in that colour. 8) :lol:
Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
KS

Post by KS »

Welcome home and here's to endless hours of discovering your car is a) better in parts you thought were very bad and b) very bad in parts you thought were actually quite good! Ask me how I know!

Have fun and post them photos!
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel