Back in beige

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Back in beige

Post by jamie »

Cheers Bruce, forgot to mention that. I'm going off the standard delay tables at the moment. I have a good baseline from the autotune - next thing is to go out with someone else driving and see if I can extract the last 10% with some manual adjustments.
'68 912
jamie

Post by jamie »

Lightweight_911 wrote:where are the pictures of the inevitable injuries you've sustained whilst 'tinkering' ?
I managed to escape lightly on the EFI conversion.

I am concurrently putting an LS3 in a 1992 Buick Roadmaster, and two days ago managed to sunburn my forearms arms whilst welding together the exhaust system. That's a new one to me.
'68 912
jamie

Post by jamie »

inaglasshouse wrote: Next time you are in the UK (we can dream of travel, right?) come and borrow my 69 S for a day or two...
But your car is awesome, too. EFI mods are interesting, and seem to offer endless scope for tinkering (always a good thing!) Thanks for posting.
Take care, wear sunscreen.
R
Thanks Richard, this is really kind. Would absolutely love to. Definitely coming back when it's a possibility.

I miss the made-in-a-shed oily-rag UK car culture. It doesn't really exist here, which is strange what with SoCal being the epicenter of hot-rodding. Those guys are all gone, or very old now, and the boomers are absolutely feckless when it comes to mechanical ability. Younger generations a bit more, but ultimately there's a more diverse, multi-generational vibe to the UK car scene which is really cool.

Also miss the roundabouts, petrol station sandwiches, driving fast on small roads, the nuances of British humour and swearing. I F****** miss being able to call someone a c*** without it really meaning anything.

Hope to see some of you again soon!
'68 912
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

jamie wrote:
I am concurrently putting an LS3 in a 1992 Buick Roadmaster.
Let's have a thread on that please....
jamie

Post by jamie »

f*** yeah. Here it is running on open headers...

https://i.imgur.com/TAmgNLf.mp4
'68 912
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I had no idea what the delay was but interesting thread here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Look at the log. Search for an A/F change then search backwards for what caused. Set the delay according to this. However, the thread also says default settings work pretty well

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
sladey

Post by sladey »

jamie wrote: Also miss the roundabouts, petrol station sandwiches, driving fast on small roads, the nuances of British humour and swearing. I F****** miss being able to call someone a c*** without it really meaning anything.

Hope to see some of you again soon!
Apparently c*** is the new f***. Even Marks and Sparks are getting on board according to one of their T shirts

The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

Good article and fantastic photo's in this months evo mag Jamie! :cheers:
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hi all. Stake in the ground post - two days ago, after 13 years, two continents, 15,000 miles of driving adventures, the 912 went to its new owner.

(Photo Doug Park)

I sold the car through Paul Kremer at Autokennel in Orange County on the recommendation of a friend who recently did the same with his 87 Targa. Paul is spectacularly knowledgable about Porsche. I needed someone, who wasn't me, who could present the car and qualify the work that had gone into it, and he absolutely nailed it. Cannot recommend highly enough. Of particular note at this point is the paint, which after 10 years on the road still looked almost perfect, and which, after the addition of a ceramic coat by a professional detailer, wrapped the car like liquid gold. Thank you Darren.

(Photo Doug Park)

I've never owned any vehicle for more than five years, so this was a unique one for me, and only really happened because the car continued to evolve since it was put back on the road. The engine got disassembled after a few years, and rebuilt with crank-fired twin-plug electronic fuel injection. The suspension was softened after I started going to the local track and discovered handled a lot better with a bit of front end compliance and a 15mm sway bay. It became a great testbed for experimenting and learning.

The car also became a focal point in my relationship with my son, who had been riding in it since he was only a few months old. He is just about to be seven and is obviously a huge Porsche fan (and can spot another in traffic from quarter of a mile away). The 912 was his favourite car, so he's pretty miffed. But there have been, and will continue to be, other cars.

(Photo Doug Park)

Reason for sale? I loved the restoration, I loved driving it, and I loved owning it. The next modifications were to increase compression ratio and change the cam duration to add more torque for road driving. I realized I was searching for more power, and 616 engines are incremental gains for a lot of money. I also struggled with being constantly asked what the car was worth - when I bought it I didn't care but now, just like the 1972 911T that I owned before this, 912s had transitioned from obscurity to the mainstream (this seems to be the curse with all the classics I own). I was worried about blowing up the motor, or crashing it off the track, or getting rear-ended by someone in a hurry to get their kids to school. In short, just like the 911, I recognised the creeping feeling stress of ownership beginning to outweigh the carefree pleasure of driving an old car that nobody cares about.

Thank you all, once again, for your advice, friendship, encouragement and inspiration. I'm not going to do a list because I'll make a tit of myself and forget someone (if you've read all 100+ pages of this thread, you'll know who these people are anyway!)

A funny twist - after I resigned to sell, I decided I'd take a little break from classic Porsche ownership. I watched the car go to its new owner on Saturday morning, and six hours later I was trailering home a 914 that I liberated from friend's brother. Classic Porsche is a disease.

'68 912
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Good luck. I think you might look back on the decision differently in a few years. However, 914s are very nice cars. I'm interested to see what you do with the engine of the 914 as the VW chaps has pushed the CC up quite a lot but it doesn't come cheap

Sent from my 22011119UY using Tapatalk

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Good to hear from you again Jamie .?.. good going lasting that long before getting your new Porsche :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Great to hear from you Jamie.

Please come back here and share your 914 journey with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anglophone1

Post by anglophone1 »

Hadn’t you already bought a 914 Jamie?
Saw your posts on 914 world last year….
Well done on sale- Paul K is a super guy!
C
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
jamie

Post by jamie »

Thanks guys.

Neil - I won't look back with any regret - it's just not how my brain works. I enjoyed it enormously and now it's time to try something else.

Clive - I dragged a 71 914 shell out of the desert a few years ago. It has sat in the yard since. Nice, solid car, but had some front-end damage that I could never be bothered to fix. The new one is a complete roller that is an engine short of being a working car. I had an engine waiting for it, so that's what will be going in it.
'68 912
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Great to hear your update Jamie and hope you’re keeping well

Looking forward to hearing about the 914 adventure
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk