XH558 - the last airworthy Vulcan grounded?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

XH558 - the last airworthy Vulcan grounded?

Post by Tosh »

Saw her at Carfest in August, which may be one of her final flights... (or would the cynic in me say that they'll get finding somehow out of this publicity?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-so ... e-19952395

They were once the UK's most potent nuclear deterrent and were on standby for a role in the Cuban missile crisis.

But in recent years there has been just one that kept the flag flying for the Vulcan Bombers.

XH558 is the final airworthy aircraft of its type and has been admired by thousands of people each year at air shows as a result.

But soon it too could be grounded like all those before it.

The "tin triangle", which is more than 50 years old, needs "challenging modifications" to both wings which the trust that owns it has decided cannot be funded.

The Leicestershire-based Vulcan To The Sky trust, which bought the aircraft in 2005, says escalating costs and limited engine life mean soon it will be confined to the runway for limited displays.

The group has already spent more than £20m on keeping "her" in the sky.

Upkeep of XH558 has been funded through public donations but the trust has come to the conclusion that the generosity that has kept her flying cannot meet the challenges ahead.

Trust chief executive Dr Robert Pleming told supporters recently: "We know that you would do your utmost to fund this work, but for a number of reasons we have decided not to ask you to take this risk."

With a shortage of parts and spare engines, XH558's shelf life has far exceeded any expectations.

More than £2m is needed each year to cover general maintenance, fuel and insurance, with any repairs needing additional funding.

Funds have always been an issue. The trust's access manager Toni Hunter said it had "been so close to the brink so many times", leading to various appeals and fundraising events.
Kevin Stone stood under the bomb bay of the Vulcan Bomber Kevin Stone has worked with Vulcan Bombers since the 1980s

Chief engineer "Taff" Kevin Stone has worked on the plane since the 1980s, when he worked in the RAF and is now the man charged with the task of maintaining her.

"She's flown over 7,500 hours, that's 10% more than any other Vulcan," he said.

"She was only ever meant to fly for about 10 to 15 years service and here she is, she's 52.

"It's the sheer grace yet power of the aircraft. It just glides through the sky. Nothing compares to her. It's a very nice aircraft to fly."

XH558, which contains more than 15 miles of cabling and weighs about 50 tonnes, is now flown by a small number of pilots who trained in the RAF and originally flew Vulcans in the 1980s.

For its size, it's very powerful because it was designed to go to such high altitudes (50,000ft).

We do like to impress and show the aircraft off with steep climbs.

We like to make a lot of noise because people love the noise it makes.

It sets off car alarms, the ground vibrates and it makes a unique howl at full power.

It's a delight to fly. It's got such huge flying controls.

It's majestic.

Martin Withers, who joined the RAF in 1968 and flew Vulcans for more than 10 years from 1971, is its chief pilot.

He became a key part of the start of the Falklands war, making the first strike on the country on 1 May 1982 in another Vulcan, only months after the air force started to disband the aircraft from service.

The mission was written about in a bestselling book, Vulcan 607, by Roland White and is an example of why the Vulcans are so popular.

"We miraculously dropped 21 bombs, because that's how many we could take on the bomb bay. We straddled the runway at Port Stanley, the only runway on the island," Mr Withers said.

"We managed to make a big hole in the runway. It all contributed to the outcome of the whole conflict."

The XH558 is now used to woo the crowds at air shows but keeping the 52-year-old aircraft in working order is a constant challenge for the engineers who work on her.

Chief engineer Mr Stone said he has had to have "words" with some of the pilots over the years who have pulled manoeuvres and airborne stunts which have made him "almost fall off his chair" as he watched from the ground.
'Nothing lasts forever'

The Vulcans were designed and built at Woodford, near Stockport, by A V Roe and company.

Bill Beton, a visitor to the hangar where XH558 is kept, remembers seeing them fly over his home in nearby Wilmslow in the 1970s and more recently at Southport Air Show.

"When I was a kid in the 70s there used to be big shouts of frenzy from friends because you could hear it coming. I've always had a soft spot (for them).
Matthew and Bill Beton stood in front of the Vulcan Bomber Bill and son Matthew Beton travelled from Cheshire to see XH558 in Robin Hood Airport's Hangar Three

"Words defy me. It's majestic, it really is a beautiful thing."

"Nothing lasts forever though," said Mr Beton.

Toni Hunter, who gives guided tours around the Vulcan, said the aircraft would be used to inspire future generations.

"The legacy is what means an awful lot to us. Our aim is to reverse the trend away from engineering. We know there's a shortfall."

The generosity of public money is not just relied on by the trust but also people giving their time.

Judith Cocker, who lives only a few miles from the airport, in Finningley, decided to volunteer after her husband "roped" her in.

"She's iconic and just so wonderful. She's just so special," said Mrs Cocker.

"When you hear her go down the runway, just before she takes off and you get that howl. It gets all of the heckles up on the back of your neck.

"I still pinch myself everyday that I can be so close to her. She's just got this spirit."
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: XH558 - the last airworthy Vulcan grounded?

Post by neilbardsley »

My Dad used to work inn these. The cockpits are massive
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
DeRRis
DDK slapper chatter

Post by DeRRis »

http://s179.beta.photobucket.com/user/D ... 3.mp4.html

Saw this amazing plane in 09. Sure would be a shame if she was grounded
Dennis

1972 Porsche 911 T/E
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
1976 Lancia Beta Monte Carlo
1973 Benelli 650 Tornado S2
Andy m.
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andy m. »

neilbardsley wrote:My Dad used to work inn these. The cockpits are massive
Are you sure,I was in one about a month ago and it felt very cramped to me, makes the Lancaster I'm working on at the moment feel positively spacious,

Andy
current projects
The Wifes camper
'66 912
Ohka Kamikaze plane
oh and a Lupo too
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I thought I heard that the Vulcan had run out of engine hours which was almost impossible to solve - ie no engines available.
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Andy m. wrote:
Are you sure,I was in one about a month ago and it felt very cramped to me, makes the Lancaster I'm working on at the moment feel positively spacious,

Andy
it does look pretty cramped on this interactive view of the cockpit:

http://www.kenmcbride.com/National-Muse ... ht/vulcan/
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
mycar

Post by mycar »

You sure it was a Vulcan ?

You know what Dads are like. :wink:

http://www.stupidlondon.com/2007/12/how ... train.html

Mike.
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Seen them fly a number of times back to the 70's. It does not surprise me really the flying comes to an end. Nothing quite like it when you saw one. Although around 1951 I came home from school for lunch and the Brabazon passed low over my head. I lived then under the flight path of Heathrow. ( or Hounslow airport as we knew it then ) About 10 years ago I guess, there was documentary on TV about the Brabazon and its one, and I believe only, flight with the press on board over London. This was the the day I saw it.They showed camara footage from the windows and it made me very pleased that day I was looking up at it in awe. For it made my day and I have never forgotten it, rather like the Vulcan. In my road everyone opened the door or windows when they heard the Brabazon go over.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Andy m.
DDK Fanatic

Post by Andy m. »

The Vulcan will be grounded due to the lack of serviceable engines, the last two zero houred ones had to be fitted this year after the ground crew left silica bags in the intakes, they where sucked in and bingo! engine bits everywhere, a very costly mistake.

But in the end it was never going to stay airworthy forever, joe public just wasn't going to keep coughing up the required funds indefinetly

andy
current projects
The Wifes camper
'66 912
Ohka Kamikaze plane
oh and a Lupo too
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

If those engines are truly zero hours the Vulcan they would have plenty of display left. TBO (time between overhaul) must run to several thousand hours/cycles on these. Probo the other 2 engines are getting near the end of their life. Surprised there isn't enough spare parts washing around to build up a pair of part lifed engines c/o Rolls Royce. Or maybe there just aren't the hours left on the airframe.... Sounds more like they lost the will to carry on with the vast financial and technical effort.
Keith
veryporky
DDK forever

Post by veryporky »

If those engines are truly zero hours the Vulcan they would have plenty of display left. TBO (time between overhaul) must run to several thousand hours/cycles on these. Probo the other 2 engines are getting near the end of their life. Surprised there isn't enough spare parts washing around to build up a pair of part lifed engines c/o Rolls Royce. Or maybe there just aren't the hours left on the airframe.... Sounds more like they lost the will to carry on with the vast financial and technical effort.
Keith
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

mycar wrote:
You sure it was a Vulcan ?

You know what Dads are like. :wink:

http://www.stupidlondon.com/2007/12/how ... train.html

Mike.
Indeed I'm going to have to guestion him about about but maybe it's me mixing his stories!
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilmcd
DDK Fanatic

Post by neilmcd »

Cockpit is DEFINITELY cramped, especially up front. I was lucky enough to see XH558 with my dad when she was at Bruntingthorpe being restored. They had stripped out all of the rear seat kit (where the navigator, bomb aimer and AEO sat) and it certainly didn't feel spacious even then.

It's all about money I think. If you paid Rolls enough they'd make you the bits you needed for the engines.

Neil
1971 E

Gone but not forgotten...
1965 Elan S2