Vin Plates

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Prattie
DDK addict

Vin Plates

Post by Prattie »

Hi

I had been following the thread on Vin plate stamping but have a slightly different conundrum.

I do need to get a plate made up as per the thread but I have had to have a new cradle for my engine because some twit looked to have attempted to remove heat exchanger with an angle grinder and it slipped !!!! (manganese metal is soft). Well this person decided to fill the hole with AB weld, this held until I bought the car and started to use it more, but it developed an oil leak (so thanks for that who ever you are).
Anyhow new engine now completed but the cradle was irrepairable so another was sourced (think R7). This carries a new number, now when I have a new plate created do I use the old info or the new.

(I have kept the old cradle,matching number to the original chassis so any buyer can see the fault.)

Steve
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Vin Plates

Post by Nick Moss »

Steve, slightly confused by your terminology. Your crank cases were replaced so the engine number is obviously the replacement case number, and as you have the original cases there should be no requirement to stamp the original number into the replacement. The engine number doesn't appear anywhere else on the car or the VIN plate, but it is on the V5C
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Prattie
DDK addict

Post by Prattie »

Nick

I suppose the quick question is do I get a VIN plate created to show the new Crank case number rather than one which would have originally been there with the old numberr on it.

steve
Prattie
DDK addict

Post by Prattie »

Sorry confused of Tun Wells I thought the engine number formed part of the vin plate if it does'nt then fine.

steve