2.7 RS Update

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Schnellmann
DDK Seasoned Poster

2.7 RS Update

Post by Schnellmann »

Going to see a 2.7 RS Touring this week. LHD, Light Ivory, matching numbers car with 84'000 km. Apparently all panels and interior are original. Has only had respray (about 10 years ago) and mechanical work, including rebuilt engine, gearbox and new clutch last year.

It is near the end of the production run (1465). I've heard that the first 500 cars used thinner panels but were there any other differences with the later cars?
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 2.7 RS Update

Post by 210bhp »

Schnellmann wrote:I've heard that the first 500 cars used thinner panels but were there any other differences with the later cars?
Lots, especially an Italian delivery car.

You really need an expert eye with you when buying an RS. It would be really good if this car has it's short rear trailing arms and possibly silumin cranckcases. Should have sportseats, production undercoating, compressor, can am sticker, 300km speedo, steel front beam, etc etc

You need to properly check the production number and cross check with the chassis number.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Schnellmann
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Schnellmann »

I am going to see the car by myself first. If I'm still interested I do have an RS expert lined up, who would do an inspection for me. But before I get him involved and take up his time I want to be happy I'd buy the car, assuming the inspection confirmed the car is good. Seller is asking top-of-the market price so car has to be perfect.
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Sounds like a plan.
Enjoy your experience.
The Italian Delivered RS had no hazard switch, unique front lenses and different horns and possibly no outside mirror (or a larger square flag sometimes). An unrestored car would retain these features so you can tell at a glance if the car has been messed with. I have seen one untouched ivory (different to light ivory) Italian RS delivered without side scripts too. They weren't big on 'extras' in Italy at the time.

On the subject of late Italian delivered RS's, I was told recently that some (or all) of the late production cars were supplied with a plain engine lid and a ducktail may have been ordered and fitted later when sold ( by the dealer?). Anyone else like to comment on this?

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Schnellmann
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Schnellmann »

Interesting.

From the pictures I have it does have a side mirror (think it is the square item you mention). Also has side-script (although could have been added when it was resprayed) and it definitely has the ducktail.

If I do end buying it, I will post some pics of course!
vipergreen
DDK Fanatic

Post by vipergreen »

Hi Schnellman, is the car located in Switzerland by chance? I've recently seen one with the same claimed mileage and colour over there with swiss plates.
There are lots of small differences between the different production months of the RS, and they are very well documented in the Rs book by Konradsheim & Gruber. Italian-delivery cars have some other ones, as correctly pointed out by Mike.

Mike, it's the first time I hear this, I'm familar with 1574 and 1582, and pretty sure they had their ducktail since new.
Regards,
Andrea
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Hi Andrea

Yes it was the first time I heard it too. In fact, it was a throwaway remark made by someone looking at my car, " that's probably not an original ducktail to the car as all the last RS's. were sent to Italy from the factory with a plain lid". I was a little bemused. Not sure if I believe it.

Perhaps Andy can throw some light here. I remember he bought a rear lid many years ago from a very late (non Italian) RS which was replaced at some time. Am I dreaming this Andy?

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but it might throw up some valuable info. For your inspection

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Mike - I've never heard of that 'tale' of late cars destined for Italy being supplied without a ducktail either.

I did have the original Al engine lid (still in the original Factory Lilac paint in pristine condition) from RS #1576 (which was supplied to its first UK owner with the ducktail-delete option) - oddly enough (I thought) it also came with a rear wiper.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

FWIW for tax reasons a lot of rs s went to Spain with burzels seperate ...they were also registered as 2.4 s when this happened
Cud this be part of the story ?
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Vic

That's new information for me as well!
Any evidence for this? I must check how many late cars went to Spain. I know of a sepia one recently on here! But it was an early chassis.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Vic Cohen
I luv DDK!

Post by Vic Cohen »

One bluto range exactly as described
Friend purchased in the days when top car
Was iro £35k
We were highly suspicious of the paper
Work but thru friendly Spanish contacts
All real
Personally suspect the yellow'fitzpatrick
Presented to him in Barcelona may be similar
Tail last I saw the burzel was certainly not
Original
Schnellmann
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Schnellmann »

vipergreen wrote:Hi Schnellman, is the car located in Switzerland by chance? I've recently seen one with the same claimed mileage and colour over there with swiss plates.
There are lots of small differences between the different production months of the RS, and they are very well documented in the Rs book by Konradsheim & Gruber. Italian-delivery cars have some other ones, as correctly pointed out by Mike.

Mike, it's the first time I hear this, I'm familar with 1574 and 1582, and pretty sure they had their ducktail since new.
Regards,
Andrea
Hi Andrea

It is indeed in Switzerland on Swiss plates. What did you think of it? Were you looking to buy it?

Regards

Spencer
vipergreen
DDK Fanatic

Post by vipergreen »

Mike, 1574 is almost all original paint and has its original ducktail. Also, on period photos all italian-deliveres Rs seem to have their ducktail.
On another end, I once saw a brazilian-market ducktail-delete car, that was delivered with the ducktail for - as stated in the original sales invoice - "safety reasons".

Spencer, I saw it at the Interlaken Porsche Shotime Treffen, it was in a poorly lit corner and I took a very quick look at it, seemed a very nice car with some details not correct (hood badge, wheels, front lenses...). Nothing dramatic, it's all a question of pricing I think.
Here are the photos I took of it:

Andrea
Schnellmann
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Schnellmann »

Andrea

That looks like it could be the same car. I will know better tomorrow once I have seen it myself.

When you say incorrect wheels, do you mean the colour? Or that they are not the originals? How much do you think it would cost to correct the errors you say?

Question for all: assuming that the car checks out and taking into account the details that would need correcting, any thoughts on value of this car?

Regards

Spencer
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

Schnellmann wrote:Andrea

Question for all: assuming that the car checks out and taking into account the details that would need correcting, any thoughts on value of this car?

Regards

Spencer
Hi , it would help if you let us know what the 'high asking price ' is that you refer to in an earlier mail.

Its the market that is setting prices for the 2.7RS , not the 'value' of the car . Unfortunately the market is being driven by investment speculation rather than simple petrolhead logic. A couple of years ago people were looking for 130-150k sterling for a reasonable touring needing some improvement , market is now significantly higher. A good person to ask is Lee Maxted-Page.

Anyway if you want one and have the money best not to let 'value of the car' muddle your thinking !