MacBook Pro Retina ?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

rvzz
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

MacBook Pro Retina ?

Post by rvzz »

Hi all,
Its time to pension off my five year old MacBook . I've been looking at the new "Retina" model . It's a fair few quid more than the standard "Pro" model . I won't be using it for anything out of the ordinary just the usual web , photo , streaming video and drawing files for work . Is it really worth the £2K+ price tag ( I'm thinking the 15" model with a bit more memory ).
Russ...

'73E 3.0

Clean living under difficult circumstances
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: MacBook Pro Retina ?

Post by smallspeed »

I was looking at ipad3 vs 2 the other day and came to the conclusion you needed to be a giant squid or a barn-owl to actually make use of the increased resolution.. I'm assuming pro vs retina would be the same on anything under 20" screen size
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

MacBook Pro Retina ?

Post by TDK »

I don't agree - the retina display is much nicer; clearer, sharper increased contrast and brightness, plus you get more screen real estate in certain modes. It's well worth it, especially when you factor in the additional power over the old models. The sames goes for the new iPad.

Why do you need more RAM if you're just doing regular stuff? Unless you're editing video or doing other high demand work then the base midel with 8Gb of RAM should be fine.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
TDK
DDK slapper chatter

MacBook Pro Retina ?

Post by TDK »

Oh, the other option is to wait for the new 13" retina models - rumoured to be launched before the end of the year. They'll be less expensive.
1973 Gemini Blue 911
IanMcLeod
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanMcLeod »

Having recently gone through the process of purchasing a new macbook pro here is my take.

The retina and non retina models of the macbook pro are quite different in many ways. Retina version has less harddisk space, no DVD, is much lighter and slimmer and of course a noticeably better display. More iPad like in that it is moving away from what we think of as a standard laptop. Apple's point of view is that you don't need a DVD anymore (and I agree with them now that online movies are here), don't need so much disk as stuff is stored in the cloud and users want lighter devices with faster startup and better displays.

So kinda depends what you want to use it for rather than a simple choice between the displays.

Ian.

PS an external DVD is available for the retina macbook pro, at extra cost, for when you do need it but it is not integrated in the device.
A sponge and a rusty spanner

2.4E RHD, 2.4E RHD, 993 Carrera RHD
rvzz

Post by rvzz »

Thanks for the replys chaps . Lots to think about and I haven't seen one in the flesh yet , so that may swing it for me . I'll have a ride out to the Apple Store in the soul destroying out of town shopping experience that is the Trafford Centre at weekend .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

garyw
DDK Fanatic

Post by garyw »

I always thought the MBP as a work tool.
Air as a user laptop.
I purchased one as a video playback system and the DVD was part of the requirements.
Shocked and annoyed that Apple have tried to widen the market of the 'Pro' by making it lighter removing the DVD.
Actually looking at buying another unit but a non Retina as it's not needed nor does it help in it's Pro use.
As said if it's thin and lightweight is the main requirement then the Air is the product??

garyw
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I upgraded my MacBook Pro last year to a new 17" one. Had my old Mac Book Pro from the day they were 1st released.

With hindsight, I wish I had bought a desktop iMac instead ... reasons being all of my 'computer' stuff away from my desk is done on my ipad.

Also, it appears most of my back problems have occured from bad posture at my desk due to using a laptop .. so I've now had to invest in a wireless keyboard & track pad + a stand to move the lap top higher into my field of vision so I'm looking forward rather than down.

I do have an iMac on the other desk in my office & it is so much better to use than my lap

.... so my advice, use an ipad3 when not at your desk .... & buy a nice iMac for the rest of the time
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
louis356
I luv DDK!

Post by louis356 »

The retina has a built in obsolescence. Everything is glued together inside to save weight and room.

But if anything goes wrong you can't just replace parts.

I would go with a MBP if you want a laptop.
-Macs speed shop-
V dubs and Porsche tubs
87 924S (Now dead or is it?)
62 356 (Working on it!)
66 912 (Sadly gone - but have you seen the price of it!!)
Apal speedster (Sadly gone)
BSA Bantam in bits
A35 Race car in the making (peanutracing)
rvzz

Post by rvzz »

My wife has an "air" and we also have a family iPad . I can't really get on with Air although my wife loves it .
I'm leaning more towards the standard Pro model the more I read up on it . Sure , the Retina looks good and it's not really about the money but i just can't see how I can justify the extra £ .
Russ...

'73E 3.0

mean_in_green
DDK above all

Post by mean_in_green »

Agreed - the screen on a MBP is so good anyway.
Simon
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

This is where I came to with the ipad; the difference wasn't dramatic and I prefered £100 in my pocket for other things.. With the macbook pro I'm guessing its a lot more than £100 difference
Roddavies
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Roddavies »

I agree with James (Hot66) get an ipad retina and a good desktop. Or personally i'd wait for the next appleTv - it will be a 'proper' TV screen et al, (Apple have just invested in sharp ;) )
914 - all original for fun
Mini cooper - All original for the daily commute
VW Touareg 3.0 - breathed on to pull out tree stumps