The strangeness that is the Classic Le Mans entry system...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

The strangeness that is the Classic Le Mans entry system...

Post by KS »

As some of you who read Classic Porsche will know, we've been following the rebuild of Paolo Faldini's 934 over the last year or so. The car has an unbroken history, was the first 934 to be raced in private hands etc etc, and has been restored to an incredible level of preparation in readiness to run at CLM. Paolo even had Kremer make two sets of bodywork – rear wings, rear spoiler etc – and wheels so the car could be run in either Grp 4 or Grp 5 trim. As the car would be lumped in with the 935s and whatever else at CLM, the car was going to run in Grp 5 spec, but could be swapped back in a couple of hours, no problem.

So, with the driver line-up of Paolo Faldini (owner), Mauro Borella (past owner/driver of the same car) and some young upstart called Jurgen Barth, an entry was sent to the CLM organisers.

Then we waited..and waited...and then learned that the entry was rejected! OK, but on what grounds? 'Because it is fitted with a modern twin-turbo engine', came the reply. What??? The car has an original-spec 934 single-turbo engine using all the correct old parts that could be located. Needless to say, Paolo was furious, the rest of us completely non-plussed.

Then CLM posted started posting updates (including an entry list) on their Facebook page, so I made a casual post asking why there no 934s at CLM this year. That's right, there is NOT ONE single 934, despite the model having had 22 separate entries between 1975 and 1979 (Plateau 6). After a day, CLM posted a reply saying' We would be happy to have 934s! But we received no entries!'

Right now, Jurgen Barth is back on the case and I suspect that certain people at CLM wil be sitting down on a rubber ring tomorrow after someone's torn them a new a-hole...

Race organisers – don't you just love 'em. Watch this space.

But the good news is that Paolo is bringing the 934 to Hedingham for Classics at the Castle. :cheers:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: The strangeness that is the Classic Le Mans entry system

Post by Mitch »

sounds like a "classic" case of left hand/right hand....

must be very frustrating for everyone but thanks for sharing Keith, all part of the CLM build up!

looking forward to seeing that magnificent 934 in the metal, whichever bodywork it's wearing!
Peter S
DDK Fanatic

Post by Peter S »

That sounds horrendous - you would have thought the name of Jurgen Bath would have been enough on its own almost.
Hope you get it sorted. To race the proper track at Le Mans is a dream beyond all dreams.

Still umming and erring about whether to go this :)
997 GT3RS, 997 cup car, 2.4s

www.rennsportracing.com
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

Let's face it, the ACO have a long and glorious tradition in respect of the way they choose to apply their rules!

Charles
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike

Post by Mike »

Just as an aside, spent a very enjoyable few hours with Mauro Borella when we meet recently at Kremer in Germany.
A charming man who is obviously very experienced in racing historic Porsche's.

He touched on driving at Classic Le Mans, he said he really didn't like it as due to the system of three short sessions
over a twenty four hour period there was a hell of a lot of hanging around for hours on end in between, so actually
for the pro driver it becomes really boring, and you can't even have a drink till it's all over!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
KS

Post by KS »

Instead, we're all going to the Eifelrennen this weekend – Mauro and Paolo are driving the car there, with the Kremer 50th birthday party Saturday night (oh, and two rounds on Can-Am racing). :drunken:

BTW Mike, did Mauro tell you about his 911S? Amazing story behind it, that he's writing up for me for the magazine.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

But the good news is that Paolo is bringing the 934 to Hedingham for Classics at the Castle. :cheers:[/quote]

Well obviously as a post '73 car with a plastic bodykit he will be directed to the visitors car park :lol:
KS

Post by KS »

Ian 2.2S wrote:Well obviously as a post '73 car with a plastic bodykit he will be directed to the visitors car park :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Lorenzo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Lorenzo »

That's incredible and upsetting! :shock: Hope things ( or men) change soon , I really want to see my friends Paolo and Mauro racing at Le mans with the superb 934! In the meanwhile, enjoy Eifelrennen!
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Sounds like typical ACO behaviour. You should hear some of the happenings on the Dakar each year.

Ian 2.2S wrote: Well obviously as a post '73 car with a plastic bodykit he will be directed to the visitors car park :lol:
Classic! You forgot to mention that you'll be parked next to the Morris Marinas.......
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

No mention of them on the provisional entry list :(
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
KS

Post by KS »

Instead, we're out at the Eifelrennen at the Nurburgring. CLM's loss... Car didn't run that great but looks awesome now in it's new Bib Wollek-inspired livery. I'll post some pics when I get home. Great to see John Fitzpatrick back at the wheel of a Kremer 935. Very cool.
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

KS wrote:... now in it's new Bib Wollek-inspired livery..
Ah - the lesser known Wollek brother ... :lol:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
KS

Post by KS »

Damned iPhones! :lol:
Keith Seume
My YouTube channel
john ruston
DDK forever

Post by john ruston »

Peter Auto sort the entries and this years are stranger than normal.Not ACO

Win a prize if you can find a Speedster GT being in G3 despite at least three being entered.Things that never went anywhere close to the 24 hr proper being accepted and others that did being pushed out.

At least the organisers have all their mates in G2 with Pre A's .

Have only just read this thread and think people do not understand that the French will do whatever they want.

Forget any outside person having any influence.

Doesn't help that the gang that run the thing limit number of Porsches as their opinion is that they all look the same.

Frank Gardner was correct in his assessment of situation at Le Mans.