O/T - Der uber-shed

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: O/T - Der uber-shed

Post by Nige »

Good timber work there Sladey, all your own skills I take it?
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

O/T - Der uber-shed

Post by markm »

Nice man cave, don't forget the beer fridge when fitting out
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks - yes all my own work. Ian very kindly answered questions whenever I had them - what should overlap what, distance between the supports in the frame etc.

It's a 2x4 frame, panelled on the inside and outside with 11mm thick OSB board, and insulated between the boarding with 50mm thick Celotex. It's on a 6-8 inch reinforced concrete base ( I didn't lay that myself) which sits on 6 inches of polystyrene insulation. It's pretty solid.

I also contracted out the roof trusses (to Trusstech at Kirkby in Ashfield - very reasonable and delivered 2 days after ordering)

I was going to just do a felt roof until we got the windows, but they will make the whole thing look so nice (once it's painted etc) that it seems a shame to just felt it - hence the cedar shingles.

I've loved doing it so far and can't wait to finished it all off

Cheers

Mark

p.s. it won't have a beer fridge but will have a sink and kettle
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Nige

Post by Nige »

If you want a round window come see Pa Spencer in his wood shop and he'll meck thee one lad.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for the offer Nige, but I'll be working the basis that if I can find summat old and cheap I'd do it but if it's not stupid cheap I won't bother - so I don't want to get someone to make one up - even Pa Spencer. It would look nice there but on the inside I'm boarding the ceiling for insulation so wouldn't be able to see it from the inside anyway
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Looking great Mark, just the place to spend the darker evenings.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Jasper »

Will the structural paneling not get ruined if you don't put the cladding on immediately, forecast not great :? :?
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
JohnS
DDK slapper chatter

Post by JohnS »

Sounds great! Make sure that you put a good damp proof course in the concrete base and put in a 1 3/4 inch plastic drain pipe with a 90 degree elbow that comes up close to the inside edge - before you poor the concrete. You can then run in an armoured power cable if you need to later (or water).
A friend of mine put down a huge base (15m x 6m) in the end of his garden recently - he used one of these companies that mix the concrete in a truck on site for you. He found it much better than a ready mix delivery. The ready mix process is such a rush. The truck turns up - dumps the concrete and goes. You are left with tons of heavy concrete to shift around. Ok if you have a team of blokes ready to help. The mix on site is slower and cheaper. I had a concrete garage put up - its good and watertight etc but condensation is a problem during the winter months so I use a dehumidifer. Wood may be better but its also a fire risk and less secure. Good luck anyway. JohnS
sladey

Post by sladey »

JohnS wrote:Sounds great! Make sure that you put a good damp proof course in the concrete base and put in a 1 3/4 inch plastic drain pipe with a 90 degree elbow that comes up close to the inside edge - before you poor the concrete. You can then run in an armoured power cable if you need to later (or water).
A friend of mine put down a huge base (15m x 6m) in the end of his garden recently - he used one of these companies that mix the concrete in a truck on site for you. He found it much better than a ready mix delivery. The ready mix process is such a rush. The truck turns up - dumps the concrete and goes. You are left with tons of heavy concrete to shift around. Ok if you have a team of blokes ready to help. The mix on site is slower and cheaper. I had a concrete garage put up - its good and watertight etc but condensation is a problem during the winter months so I use a dehumidifer. Wood may be better but its also a fire risk and less secure. Good luck anyway. JohnS
Er look at the pictures John - I'm way beyond the concrete mixing stage....
sladey

Post by sladey »

Jasper wrote:Will the structural paneling not get ruined if you don't put the cladding on immediately, forecast not great :? :?
Nah it's pretty resilient. It's not a long term solution but it will hold up for a while yet. It's not chipboard/mdf - it's designed to be used in structural stuff and seems to be full of some sort of glue/resin. The boards i've put up have been out in the downpours over the last few weeks and not showing any signs of deterioration.

Quote from another forum:-

"When I built my garage, my building inspector told me that I needed to get the OSB covered in a few months or it would start to deteriorate. A little water isn't going to hurt it, but don't leave it unprotected for a year."
sladey

Post by sladey »

johnM wrote:Looking great Mark, just the place to spend the darker evenings.

Ohhhh yes!
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hi,

Old Porsche Vinyl banners

To fit out the mancave , I can recommend this guy on Ebay who makes vinyl banners of the old Porsche posters etc, they make great wall hangings for uber -shed and will do a deal for a few :lol:
They are rather large.

You maybe interested in this :- on Ebay, follow the link,Martini PORSCHE 911 Carrera RSR Targa Florio 73 Poster Banner auf Vinyl Plane (390424718​502)
Rds,
Jasper
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks Jasper. Couldn't see a link though and the item number searched didn't show up anything in ebay
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

sladey wrote:Thanks Jasper. Couldn't see a link though and the item number searched didn't show up anything in ebay
PM me and I will send you the details.

Rds

Jasper
Rds,
Jasper
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Jasper wrote:
sladey wrote:Thanks Jasper. Couldn't see a link though and the item number searched didn't show up anything in ebay
PM me and I will send you the details.

Rds

Jasper

His contact details are as follows:- Fikret Fazlagic, email: fazlagic@yahoo.com
Rds,
Jasper