O/T - Der uber-shed

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: O/T - Der uber-shed

Post by neilbardsley »

Nige wrote:So what are you're petrol head plans once the workshop is complete? Other than tinkering and servicing isn't your current fleet pretty low maintenance? With those facilities surely you need a deep resto project in the pipeline?
After his engine build let Mark enjoy driving it for a bit!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks for the comments

Graham yes the lathe is a bit rusty - when we moved in the room was very damp with no external guttering. I’ve fixed that and it’s pretty dry now but not had a chance to clean up the lathe

Sam/Nige yes that is apparently a look.

Yes I do fancy a big resto once the shed is done. I fancy an Alfa but also been thinking about starting the 911 again from scratch. I’ve never had it back to a bare shell and I wonder what that would feel like. Working with a lift is fantastic.

I can’t afford any of that at the moment. I do have some 993 throttle bodies so putting them on the 911 might be an interesting project

With the lift you may have noticed it stands taller than the run of units. I’m planning on removing all the switches from the top half and fitted them to a panel in the run of units. I’ll keep posting pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
sladey

Post by sladey »

neilbardsley wrote:
Nige wrote:So what are you're petrol head plans once the workshop is complete? Other than tinkering and servicing isn't your current fleet pretty low maintenance? With those facilities surely you need a deep resto project in the pipeline?
After his engine build let Mark enjoy driving it for a bit!

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
The engine build was in 2014 Neil!

911GP
DDK forever

Post by 911GP »

Wow, Mark. How clever are you? This is amazing.

I wanted a scissor lift when we had our garage extension made but my wife rolled her eyes and said “what are you going to do with that?” :(

Kind regards
Gitesh
hot66

Post by hot66 »

scissor lift discussions added to the exiasting scissor lift thread
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

With my height restriction of the garage ceiling, a lift would bring the wheel centre of my 911 to eye level and the car's roof to 1" of touching the roof of the garage.

That would be very useful and would make engine removal a cinch let alone the more normal tinkering the car requires.
Thought this may help a few.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

sladey wrote:Well how things have moved on…..

The Uber-shed was great - spent many happy hours making and breaking stuff in it.

In early 2020 though, back when we didn’t know how normal things were, we found a house to move to. We weren’t looking to move but fell in love with it.

A major factor for me was the outbuildings. The main one was going to be my new Uber-shed.

So I thought I’d revive this thread.

Here it is from the outside - before we’d bought it.

And here it is from the garden side

It’s a lovely old barn - maybe a couple of hundred years old.
However it needed re-roofing, and re-flooring. Also it was divided into 2 with the doorway in between built for small people

And finally the door for cars was in the wrong place - it opened onto the road but meant you couldn’t get a car in properly. It looks a big building but its less than 2 cars wide so you can’t swing round to get the car straight.

This pic was cool enough for the front of the DDK calendar but it’s not very practical.

I just went through this thread from the beginning. I had forgotten about the original shed that Mark built which was pretty impressive too.
Then I came to this wonderful basis for the current shed and thought it worth reviving.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks JB
sladey

Post by sladey »

Ok so probably time for an update.

It was time to build the frame for the corner unit. I was consious that I didn't want the corner unit to be inaccessible so I wanted some sort of carousel arrangment to allow me to easily retrieve stuff from the back. Buying something was never going to happen and it's questionable whether kitchen fittings would stand up to the level of abuse so I started to look for different options.

Eventually I found what I needed in the form of an acro prop. The inner slides inside the outer and both are very substantial. However the fit is not great. Break out the Delrin and the lathe and made this bushing

I cut off two pieces of the outer tube and welded them onto the frame - the bushing fits nice and snug

And here it is with the inner tube pushed in

Had to make a bunch more of the Hockey Puck adjustable feet

And here is the finished frame. I'm thinking of bolting shelf supports to that inner tube
sladey

Post by sladey »

The next job involved the car lift. The control unit is very neat but it's too tall to fit under the run of units I am making.

I decided I could and should do something about that - here it is before I started - you can see how high it is (I've taken the top cover off).

I cut the top unit off and made a panel to fit on the front of my units and started transplanting the controls

Here they are all transplanted - I tested it and it all still works nicely! Most of the wires reached the new panel without any problem. However I had to extend the power wires. No big deal

Then I cut down the top unit and welded it back together again - mainly to keep dust and crap away from the internal electrics. After taking this pic I taped up the holes just to keep the dust out

Then a coat of hammerite on the panel and it's all looking quite smart

But I couldn't leave well alone. Along with the lift there are 4 thick rubber blocks that you put under the car before lifting it. I wanted a place for those and the bottom half of this panel seemed ideal

I found that the 50mm square tubing I used to build the framework was ideal to create slots to slip the rubber blocks in. Cut 4 to length, took one face off and smoothed them out a bit

Part way through combining everything

And finally with the slots welded in - prior to paint

I have done a few coats of hammerite. Not a great finish as I got fed up sanding off the previous coats, but it will good enough for now.

I'll pop another pic up when it's painted up and in place
Last edited by sladey on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Looks good, but a bit of overkill just to raise and lower the feet on your corner unit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sladey

Post by sladey »

Overkill is my middle name
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

TOOOO much time on your hands!
Looks great, and even better when you have some 'car-dirt' over everything.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Nige

Post by Nige »

You'll be doing MOTs next. Mine is due in September, can I book in.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Worktops arrived yesterday. Just rested them on top for the time being - they weigh a TON! Me and the son-in-law struggled just to lift them - had to use the van to get them round to the barn

They are 40mm thick solid oak (small pieces joined together). They weren’t cheap but compared to the price of thick plywood or thick MDF they seemed good value to me

This week-end’s job is fitting them. Happy days

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk